Mosconi Story 1952

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Youse guys saving it for your salads?
...give this man some greenies!

....has a slight slipstroke, just like they said.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slip stroke!

There was a huge flame war awhile back about whether Mosconi used a slip stroke, at least on some shots. Well, at least twice where you can clearly see his hand, he is using a slip stroke.

Great find, BTW. There is next to nothing out there of Mosconi playing in his prime.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loved that clip! Thanks for posting. Was that table he was playing on in the last scene a Brunswick Challenger? I sure miss the Brunswick site not having the antique table reference library anymore.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridiculous plot(?)

The "plot(?)" of the film is absurd.
If a child sneaked into his dad's pool room downstairs from the living area, he wouldn't need potatoes or an old wooden stick. (he may have done that on the kitchen table but not in the pool room proper)
All he'd have to do is use the regular pool balls that were in the pool room and a cue off the wall. The lefthanded shooting by the kid actor was a very careless oversight by the producers.
The realistic aspects were showing a young Mosconi as quite the womanizer, which is understandable since he was a very good dancer...and women like men who are good dancers. He was very smooth and graceful, even in old age.
And the 5 rail shot at the end was just GREAT. I wonder how many takes were necessary for him to nail it like that.
It was entertaining...a little hokey at spots but well worth a look-see.
Better than seeing street thugs screaming profanity about "where's my money" and all that 'N' word stuff, for sure.
I give it a 3 star rating.
:thumbup2:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like you always doubt the truth, even though countless experts and historians have verified Mosconi's life as a young starting player. For example, his dad LOCKED UP all the balls to prevent him from playing. Too bad you can't seem to get your version of pool history right! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

QUOTE=Low500;6272028]The "plot(?)" of the film is absurd.
If a child sneaked into his dad's pool room downstairs from the living area, he wouldn't need potatoes or an old wooden stick. (he may have done that on the kitchen table but not in the pool room proper)
All he'd have to do is use the regular pool balls that were in the pool room and a cue off the wall. The lefthanded shooting by the kid actor was a very careless oversight by the producers.
The realistic aspects were showing a young Mosconi as quite the womanizer, which is understandable since he was a very good dancer...and women like men who are good dancers. He was very smooth and graceful, even in old age.
And the 5 rail shot at the end was just GREAT. I wonder how many takes were necessary for him to nail it like that.
Better than seeing street thugs screaming profanity about "where's my money" and all that 'N' word stuff, for sure.
:thumbup2:[/QUOTE]

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "plot(?)" of the film is absurd.
:thumbup2:

Thanks But I think I will just go on loving that classic clip...

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like you always doubt the truth, even though countless experts and historians have verified Mosconi's life as a young starting player. For example, his dad LOCKED UP all the balls to prevent him from playing. Too bad you can't seem to get your version of pool history right! LOL
Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Did you see the balls get locked up?
Is anyone alive who saw the balls get locked up?
If papa locked up the balls, why didn't papa also lock the door into the pool room itself?
"Potatoes on the pool table and an old wooden stick".....yea sure. So ridiculous.
You pool room guys are such suckers for BS. Like you and that Don Willis garbage about the "cueball ball rolling down the flight of stairs and hitting another ball out on the sidewalk"
By the way, I can throw a marble over a 20 story building...:that's better than Thompson.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks But I think I will just go on loving that classic clip...
Nothing bad or silly about you or anyone else loving that classic clip. Not a thing.
I thought it was pretty entertaining myself. Pete Smith made a lot of those good specialties.
Mosconi was really a very good dancer though. He danced with my girlfriend to "In The Still of the Night" at the Brunswick Lanes on Stewart Avenue in Atlanta after he did an exhibition there around 1962, I think it was. Very light on his feet.
Prior to that he crushed me shooting 8-Ball. I broke and that was it for me. That guy didn't miss very often and his position play was marvelous.
He didn't do too well in gambling though, I heard, at least according to Grady Matthews, Joe Cosgrove, and Ronnie Allen. They said he choked a little. But then again, who really cares?
Stay happy.
:thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing about the history of that game that they didn't mention in the film.... That year the championship was determined by a many-match round robin. By the time of the match with Ponzi, Mosconi had already locked up the championship by many games. That little detail makes the final shot believable.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I loved the clip.

Of course I assume they took some artistic liberties. I can buy the idea of a broomstick and potatoes to some extent. His high run ending because he was tired vs. a miss (another classic debate) is silly. But the pinnacle of absurdity is the claim that he won a world championship with a five rail kick because he had to hit that ball first. It makes zero sense and I have to throw out anything said but not witnessed from anyone who told such a tale.

No problem with the clip if you enjoy it for what it is: propaganda about a truly great champion designed to sell tickets and pool tables...