What's the biggest compliment anyone has said about your game.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I was out shooting Thursday, and after league was over I hung out for awhile and put in some extra practice. After finishing I was about to leave and I was saying my goodbye's when a wannabe made a comment to the guy I was talking to, "Man that guy shoots like a Robot, 1 ball after another bloop, bloop, bloop, bloop" the guy I was talking to replied yeah but he's good as hell.

My first reaction was that it was an insult, then it hit me I must be good enough that people are really noticing. Hmm........

Black Cat :cool:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
best and worst compliment

Back when I was working the pool tables nightly for years what I heard several times a week was that I was the best or luckiest somebody had ever seen. That was fine, regardless of their skill level from terrible to middl'n they thought they might beat me on another night.

The worst compliment I received was from a road player that scouted me for three nights and decided he would pass. He said I was the best he had ever seen. I never thought for a minute he meant the best shotmaker just the best total package, getting into games, keeping other people in them, extracting maximum value from everyone he saw me play, leaving them happy when we were done. It was a well honed art but being undetected was a big part of it. Getting busted even by a very careful road player was bad juju. I had distrusted his appearance the first night, still been skeptical the second night, but had lowered my guard a good bit by the third night and decided he was probably what he appeared to be. He never played a game of pool just sat at the bar for three nights so I never knew his speed. He was crafty and patient, he didn't come to make a two-bit score. Despite cell phones and the internet I still think somebody like that could do just fine on the road.

Hu

abie10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only been shooting for about 2 years so the best compliment to me would be:

"You don't suck as much as you used to."

My chest swelled a bit and I got a little cocky...and immediately lost the next match

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I drew Dave Hemmah in the Swanee 9 Ball tournament. I'd not met him before. After he beat me 7-4 (not bad, huh?) we were chatting and he said to me "You're a straight pool player by background, aren't you?"

Not much, I know, but I don't get a lot of compliments on my game, and I considered that a compliment. :embarrassed2::D I found it interesting that he could tell just by watching me play a set that I came up playing straight pool. He actually said some nice things about my game but that was the comment I found most intriguing.

I did have a BCA 8 Ball teammate tell me recently he like watching me because he learned a lot from the patterns I played. I thought that was nice. ;)

When I was a kid I went to an episode of "Minnesota Fats Hustles the Pros" and played Fats a rack of 8 Ball before the show began. I beat him with a nice cut shot on the 8 ball in the side. Fat's looked at me and said, "Not bad, kid."

Other than that I do get complimented on my racking quite a bit.

Last edited:

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best compliment I ever got about my game was "wow you put your cue away better than anyone ive ever seen !!! "

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
it would probably have to be "that's pretty amazing you can even make a f*$%king ball with that stance"

So, yeah... makes you fell all warm and fuzzy inside when you hear appreciative comments like that:embarrassed2::D

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I have been told a couple of times now that I have one of the prettiest strokes around these parts. Makes me feel good. :grin:

Lisa

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old timer I used to play with walked in and said to the guy I was playing..."Looks like you caught a Tiger by the tail!" :D

He since has passed away, but I will never forget the compliment.

Jay P.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have had a few compliments over the years but i have 2 that stick out the most. back around the middle 80s i had a roadplayer say i had a good eye for the game and if i was to learn english that i would be damn good.

i never really got serious about the game, just played in bars once or twice a month , you know, the raising a family and making a career thing.

got back into pool last year and joined a league. the other week i played a 9 in 9 ball and he said my game has improved quite a bit since i joined the league last summer. that gave me some hope i aint too old to learn this game lol.

Penrose Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I"**** you" shouted Tommy "the crab" in 2003, Playboy billiards, Lake Worth FL, when I took him 7-5 in a moneygame. I won the last 5 racks by having him make three fouls in 4 of them and I had a 9-break. Just breaking his balls...lol...

Tommy and I reconsiled and played more games. Great player and wonderful person to be around. He has a big heart and is very much of a gentleman.
_______

"This has no use..." said Nick vd Berg when we played some moneygames in 2005, Groningen, Netherlands, and he gave up at 7-0 in a game to 9. I just ran 4 racks...

But today, I'm sure that if we played a 1000 times, he'ld win 999 of them. Nick is my absolute favorite player in the World. Such a disciplined player and just fenomenal to watch.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm a league player, so the best thing came from that source as a background...

I've been announced to play for my 9-ball team. I'm currently rated a 4 in 9-ball. One of our opponents looked up at me as they were trying to select their matchup and said "you're a 5 in eight ball, aren't you?"

It ain't much, and it is true, so when you play like I do, it's something. :p

Oh yeah, around my regular room they say I rack pretty well...:D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
"I'd like to use you in my new instructional video."

Freddie <~~~ as the "what not to do" guy