Cue was sent but----

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Cue was sent this afternoon-----------------

But took a little bear spray to get it on the way. For those who have visited me (and I see several of those have visted AZB today) understand.
The main (that means PAVED) highway is 3 miles away --- there is a big 10' x 10' temporary flashing light sign up for the last month "Warning - Grizzly Bear Crossing Next 5 Miles". All the tourists are stopping to take pictures:) to show the folks back home. My place is BETWEEN the highway/warning sign and the mountains the griz are trying to get back to for their winter sleep. On their way they are eating the apples and plums from the dozens of wild trees on the country road that my driveway accesses. Also across the country road and my place is 80 acres of corn --- which bears love/destroy this time of year. We have new bear scat (poop) everyday for the last month on the country road. Today there is 5 good size piles (means big bears) within 50 feet of my mail box. Since my gate has to be opened to get to town, decided it was time to start taking the bear spray since there are plenty of trees and brush for a big boy to hide in (probably taking a nap) since its overcast and cold. Today no problem so cue is on the way:)

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Jack I have the same problem kinda, I have bears around my property nightly and they also like to leave their....calling card. This year was not as bad as the last, we had good moisture all summer and the berries are plentiful up higher. The big difference is yours are bigger and much more aggressive. One thing is for certain they keep me on my toes.

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bears everywhere

Dad and I had similar problems hunting this year. He walked up onto a sleeping Grizzly. The wind was favorable and he was able to get out of there without incident.

I came across one working over a carcus. Again, wind was favorable and I backed out without incident.

Corey

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love you Jack! You have a way of putting everything in perspective. It's been years since I've seen a bear and that one was in a zoo. :grin:

The only thing I need bear spray for is some of the critters I come across late at night in my neighborhood. And they're on two legs. My spray consists of eight hollow pointed bits of metal, and they can outrun just about any varmint I might come across.

I had one close encounter of the worst kind, during my first year here (nearly seven years ago). I heard a noise at night and discovered a prowler in my back yard. I turned on the outside lights in time for him and me to meet eyes. I made sure that he could see the little friend at my side. He skedaddled out of my back yard in about one millisecond, never to be heard from again. Never again have I had any prowlers. He must have told his buddies how accommodating I was.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Wow, you are a dedicated cuemaker. Bear spray is good, but a 45 Colt loaded Ruger might be better as a main defense. . .as in after the spray runs out!

They must be thick there now. My dad ran into those signs, but no bears when hunting last weekend near you. I think the sign said, "Warning: Agressive sow with cubs." Not the kind of thing you want to run across dragging an elk out!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue was sent this afternoon-----------------

But took a little bear spray to get it on the way. For those who have visited me (and I see several of those have visted AZB today) understand.
The main (that means PAVED) highway is 3 miles away --- there is a big 10' x 10' temporary flashing light sign up for the last month "Warning - Grizzly Bear Crossing Next 5 Miles". All the tourists are stopping to take pictures:) to show the folks back home. My place is BETWEEN the highway/warning sign and the mountains the griz are trying to get back to for their winter sleep. On their way they are eating the apples and plums from the dozens of wild trees on the country road that my driveway accesses. Also across the country road and my place is 80 acres of corn --- which bears love/destroy this time of year. We have new bear scat (poop) everyday for the last month on the country road. Today there is 5 good size piles (means big bears) within 50 feet of my mail box. Since my gate has to be opened to get to town, decided it was time to start taking the bear spray since there are plenty of trees and brush for a big boy to hide in (probably taking a nap) since its overcast and cold. Today no problem so cue is on the way:)

LOL! That's funny! :grin-square:

You live in such a beautiful part of the country. I envy you as I'm fighting traffic just to get to the grocery store. :eek:

Wishing you all the very best. Hope you're happy and enjoying life to the fullest! :)

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one close encounter of the worst kind, during my first year here (nearly seven years ago). I heard a noise at night and discovered a prowler in my back yard. I turned on the outside lights in time for him and me to meet eyes. I made sure that he could see the little friend at my side. He skedaddled out of my back yard in about one millisecond, never to be heard from again. Never again have I had any prowlers. He must have told his buddies how accommodating I was.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

I'll bet he left a little "scat" in your yard as he was running away.....:grin-square:

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Montana has cute little grizzlies. Some go on border patrol at the Glacier/Waterton National Parks boundary. :grin:

If you want to see the big ones go to Katmai National Monument or Kodiak Island. They eat lots of fish so they grow bigger - twice the size of the vegans.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Our black bears have become aggressive. A Seattle City Councilman was mauled a month or so ago outside his Leavenworth vacation home while taking his dog out for a pee. He wound up losing his eye, but reported back to work last week.

Lisa ====>more worried about the she cougar roaming this side of the river.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need proof. How about a picture of you sanding next to one of those bears?

When I was small my Dad was working on something called the Denali Highway in the Alaskan wilderness. There was an area near our campsite where you could find arrowheads left behind by the ancient hunters who once lived in that area.

One day my Mother, brother and I were hunting for arrowheads and my brother who was about 4 years old said "Look at the big dog". It wasn't a dog, it was a bear, and that was the last time we went hunting for arrowheads.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good story Jack, having been to Jack's house I can just picture what your saying. Jack's property is located on a hill/mountain over looking a wide expanse of beautiful country. Both you & Bev be carefull. Nice to see your post.
I saw Jack's home when I took my rv trailer and parked it and stayed on his land for a couple days. I was on my way to Yellowstone. Jack taught me alot about pool and he still plays pretty damm good. Never saw him play in his prime but he told me stories while I was there.
I'm not as fortunate as Jack to live in Montana, but everybody should be so lucky, if you like to see nature at it's best.
Hope to get back out there next year Jack.

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Katmai takes the bears seriously. Years ago, when I was there, the food storage for the campground was a small log cabin about 12 feet in the air.

Before going to Katmai, I was backpacking in Denali, I stopped at a ranger cabin to find out which side of the river was the better choice. The ranger was cooking, and the conversation meandered. Part of which went something like this:

Ranger: There is a momma bear out there with two cubs.
Me: (thinking he is just having fun with a tourist from a big city) I've never had any problems with bears, and I've done a lot of backpacking in the Canadian Rockies.
Ranger: She mauled a kid two days ago.
Me: They never told me when I registered to hike in this area. Do you want me to go someplace else?
Ranger: No. A hiker came through yesterday with no trouble.

The kid had tried to take a photo of the cubs, got too close. upsetting momma, and she took a swipe to express her displeasure.

So I head out. Hours later I see three bouncing brown spots ahead, upwind. Not wanting to overtake them I made camp. Next morning, a few feet from where my head was resting inside the tent, was a gouge in the earth, about a yard across. Similar gouges led out of camp in either direction.

Nothing was touched, neither my pack, tossed into bushes (no trees) about 100 yards away, nor my cooking gear and water bottles lined up near the tent.

Me and the three bears got along just fine for the rest of time I was in the area. But, as far as I know,:grin: they never came through my camp again.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Dad and I had similar problems hunting this year. He walked up onto a sleeping Grizzly. The wind was favorable and he was able to get out of there without incident.

I came across one working over a carcus. Again, wind was favorable and I backed out without incident.

Corey

Corey

Glad every thing went ok. My neighbor up the hill had a bear break into their trailer home earlier this year. Seem to have a lot more bears this year and the late spring/summer might have upset the food cycle.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
For those of you not lucky enough to have spent time in the North Western part of Montana it is one of the most underated parts of this country. I have spent weeks up there for years hiking, fishing and playing tourist and it is awesome. This thread makes me think of this scene from a classic movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Wow, you are a dedicated cuemaker. Bear spray is good, but a 45 Colt loaded Ruger might be better as a main defense. . .as in after the spray runs out!

They must be thick there now. My dad ran into those signs, but no bears when hunting last weekend near you. I think the sign said, "Warning: Agressive sow with cubs." Not the kind of thing you want to run across dragging an elk out!

Where was your Dad in MT?

The bear experts say a bear sees as well as humans but their smell is a gazillion times (can't remember exactly - Corey you know?) better than ours. Thats why experts say the spray should work --- bear is only interested in getting away from the "thing" in his noise so should leave. But if you shot him (and it takes a big gun and right shot) he is likely to get really pissed at you and you are then fair game.

Over the years have seen quite a few bears on the property and about. They don't seem too interested in us (we are not normally on the food menu). But I do take extra precautions when hiking, fishing and on four wheeler. Have a friend in Gardner MT (entrance to Yellowstone) - he says when you go out of your house or shop the s.o.p. is to look both ways before proceeding since there is usually a bear lurking about.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Jack,
Hows the weather been and do you have snow yet ?

We had a very late spring with lots of rain. Summer was shorter than usual and not hot --- didn't need to irrigate as much as prior years and grass didn't burn out. But fall has been long and beautiful - some of the trees still have their leaves - we still has roses and dahlias blooming and a few raspberries. No snow in the valley yet - but new snow on the mountains a couple times. It was in 60's until this week --- projected highs will be in the 40's. Had some rain - got a couple cords of wood on the deck, a new battery for the 4 wheeler/snow plow so am about ready for the snow to fly.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
June 3, 2008 I was driving OTR for Werner, came out of Idaho in Mt on 90...it was snowing and late so I pulled over to rest and wait for the plows. I had to use the bathroom so I climbed out and took the 40 steps to the stall. After washing my hands I read a sign on the door that said "Beware of Bears", now Im thinkin to myself "self, you cant outrun no bear" but I didnt want to spend the night in a bathroom so I took off for my truck ala Jesse Owens. I got in the rig, laughed like a goofball and went to sleep...I cant imagine living so close to something bigger than I am, with claws !!

Voo~~bears didnt freak me out as much as the SNOW in JUNE did!!