ABP/US Open - So what is the next move??

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, it's not your posts that are chapping my rear end. So I can't give you any credit for that. :eek:

That said, this one's for you ---> HERE

"My Dear" video by Ruby Velle and the Soulphonics,

Don't know how to say >>> here <<< in red and have it come up,
but check them out.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The BCA gave my group (The PCA) a grant for 25k a year

John...CJ's organization was called the PCA (Professional Cuesports Asso.); and you forgot about Don Mackey's PBTA (Professional Billiards Tour Asso.), which was after Hopkins MPBA, but before CJ's PCA. All in all, a great post, btw.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The BCA gave my group (The PCA) a grant for 25k a year for running the office. I think John's talking about getting money from the amateurs? ...I'm not sure how that would work, but I"m curious.:wink:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Its odd to me that the BCA 'isn't supposed to be' the governing body for professional pool, yet, they do rank the professionals with their own system, which later determines who goes where. And they are the only association in North America that the WPA will sanction, so, it sounds like they are actually governing something after all.

Between that, and the HOF, and the rule books, it looks more to me like they cant decide exactly what they want to govern.

The WPA exists because of generous help from the BCA when the WPA was formed. The BCA ranks PLAYERS making no distinction between professional and amateur. When a WPA event is scheduled then North America gets a certain number of spots and the BCA is tasked with nominating players for those spots. So yes the BCA "governs" that list and those spots.

From what I understand the BCA's list is comprised of a formula that takes into account the various INDEPENDENT events around America to determine where players are ranked. The BCA does not sanction these events, does not extract a fee, or otherwise interfere in the events. IN fact if I remember right the BCA itself doesn't even administer the list. Possibly a forum search would turn up how the list is calculated. Jerry Forsyth probably can clear it it up quickly.

In any event though the list ONLY pertains to WPA events and not towards anything that happens internally on the tournament scene in the United States. The Mosconi Cup team is also chosen based on this list and that is Matchroom's decision to use it.

Any player professional or amateur can play in all the independent events and accrue points for the rank list if it is their desire to play in WPA events and on the Mosconi Cup team.

So if you consider the existence of a ranking list that is independent from the players, i.e. one that they don't control but which is used to determine participation in world events as governance then yes I concede that in this limited sense the BCA governs the players.

Which is why I have long advocated to the WPA that they create a class of "world pros" which owe no allegiance to any country's amateur organizations and who earn their places in world events by their performance only in world events.

Ronnie Alcano won the world championship by going through the qualifiers. He was not ranked high enough in his home country to be awarded a spot. My opinion is that there should be a place for players like him who do not want or cannot go through their home country's organizations. Maybe the qualifiers, maybe hold qualifiers on each continenet, I don't know. But once in the event they have to do well enough to achieve enough rank to ensure future spots. If not then back to the qualifiers.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The BCA gave my group (The PCA) a grant for 25k a year for running the office. I think John's talking about getting money from the amateurs? ...I'm not sure how that would work, but I"m curious.:wink:

You probably have more insight into the dynamics than anyone else on this forum, at least from the player's perspective.

I am not talking about money from amateurs. I am talking about pros barnstorming the country using their skills to raise the money. I have done the math, it's possible but not probable given the current climate.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Since we are on the topic of learning the source of funding.

Where do most pool tournaments obtain their prize funds from?

Music and Movies get money of families and party goers.

Musicians survive from charitable sponsorships.

Academic people live from government funding and private endowments.

Pool Tournaments get prize money, well it isn't clear. And what is confusing is the lack of advertising during a pool tournament.

Compared to a library fundraiser or a high school football pep rally, pool tournaments have more silent partners (people that sponsor but don't make it known).

Anyway the mafias Vegas went mainstream. Just a matter of time until the pool scene gets reformed.

What type of scrutiny can the IRS place on an event that relies on gate income? I'll look into it, and ask a few friends. You got me interested in it.

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam is Absolutely Right - Go After the Source

I've read this thread with a combination of anger and frustration - the hubris of the ABP is astounding.

But JAM is right, specifically:

"If people who are not happy with the ABP, Charlie Williams, and Dragon voice their concerns to industry sponsors in writing, the sponsors just might withdraw their funding for the Charlie Williams machine. This is the only thing that will work to stop the ABP plague that is cast upon American pool this time."

I'll working on list culled from Dragon's online presences.

There's a lot that can be done online to amplify our plight. This is NOT right. Let's pull together for Barry.

Also, I ultimately think Barry has no other course of action than to deny the ABP seeding outright.

Peter Graber
Raleigh, NC

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
JAM is right, specifically:

"If people who are not happy with the ABP, Charlie Williams, and Dragon voice their concerns to industry sponsors in writing, the sponsors just might withdraw their funding for the Charlie Williams machine. This is the only thing that will work to stop the ABP plague that is cast upon American pool this time."

... I ultimately think Barry has no other course of action than to deny all ABP players.

Peter Graber
Raleigh, NC

I couldn't agree less.

My opinion is that no sponsors will walk from the US Open because of anything they receive in writing. Unless they fear that their bottom line is threatened by a Behrman accommodation of the ABP, they won't care one way or the other.

What evidence will be produced for sponsors that their bottom line will be affected? Will fans planning on attending suddenly choose not to attend? Will people planning on playing suddenly drop out of the field? Will those that would have purchased the live stream change their minds? Will sales at the venue itself suffer because of fan anguish over the ABP activities? Personally, I don't expect any of these things to happen.

I think it's way to early to fight this, and, let's face it, we haven't really seen exactly how ABP will move forward with this.

In truth, the danger that sponsors will be concerned by the possible absence of ABP players is far more likely to concern them than any possible fan response to how the politics are being played by ABP.

Having said this, a petition signed by 1,000 fans and amateur players indicating that they will boycott all future ABP sanctioned events would likely carry a lot of weight with the sponsors. I can't see why anyone would sign such a petition right now. I certainly wouldn't sign it. The likely direction and actions of the ABP, though distasteful to many on AZB, have yet to fully crystallize and I suggest that we're all forced, perhaps against our instincts, to await further developments.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
how about we let them all work it out amongst themselves? The US Open will happen whether a few notable names are there or not. Nothing the APB is doing is going to affect the US Open negatively.

Let's just enjoy the show.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read this thread with a combination of anger and frustration - the hubris of the ABP is astounding.

There's a lot that can be done online to amplify our plight. This is NOT right. Let's pull together for Barry.

Also, I ultimately think Barry has no other course of action than to deny the ABP seeding outright.

Peter Graber
Raleigh, NC

I think this is right and might hurt the CW machine. I don't think anyone is talking about this in relation to the Open, but for any future CW backed events, at least that is how I read it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If CW were Monsanto then we would be paying $50 a seat to see millionaires play pool.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Peter Graber
Raleigh, NC

As exhibited by the recent poll on this forum, 97 percent of the readers of this forum, most of whom are strong pool enthusiasts, have the same opinion. :wink:

Here's the thread: Should Barry Berhman tell the ABP he ain't playing ABP ball?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's next is you shipping me the dough when O snaps it off again. :) Gonna buy me and Karen a steak with some corn and tomatoes on the side......

You know, I have to mail a check to the Caribbean this morning. She said it takes 10 days to clear, but she said she can cash it.

I'm not so sure you're going to win that bet, though, my friend. Romney is a good orator, and Paul Ryan will crush Biden in the debates. Time will tell. :wink:

If you win, you got a C-note coming your way via snail mail.

I must admit that I was upset when I heard about Romney putting his dog on the roof of the car. There's a big movement afoot against him here in my area with animal lovers, to include cats, horses, and birds. When I go to the dog park and see dogs wearing banners against Romney, well, I guess I just live in a political town. :embarrassed2:

Source: Dogs Against Romney.

Attachments

• official-dogs-against-romney-labrador-retriever-tie-dye-tee_design.jpg
    official-dogs-against-romney-labrador-retriever-tie-dye-tee_design.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 209

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I must admit that I was upset when I heard about Romney putting his dog on the roof of the car. There's a big movement afoot against him here in my area with animal lovers, to include cats, horses, and birds. When I go to the dog park and see dogs wearing banners against Romney, well, I guess I just live in a political town. :embarrassed2:

Source: Dogs Against Romney.

I'd like to clear something up Romney's pooch....
He was there at his own request.....
..when asked where he'd like to ride, he said "Roof!"
..when asked how the ride went, he said "Ruff"

Mind you, the dog is not that smart....when asked to spell his master's name
....he couldn't get past "ARRRRRRR"

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I'd like to clear something up Romney's pooch....
He was there at his own request.....
..when asked where he'd like to ride, he said "Roof!"
..when asked how the ride went, he said "Ruff"

Mind you, the dog is not that smart....when asked to spell his master's name
....he couldn't get past "ARRRRRRR"

COL... (chuckle out loud)

:tongue:

Last edited: