John Grissim's book Billiards

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his book he mentions that he plays a good looking kid by the name of Efren Reyes while in Manila. Mind you this book was published in 1979. There also appears to be a picture of Efren.

He states that Efren is considered the second best player in the Philippines.

One question I have is if there is a picture of Efren in a book published in 1979 how did he sneek up on players at the Red's tournament when he first came over in 1985?

There are many pics of players in this book and many were quoted telling stories and other tales of playing pool for a living. I have to assume that they looked at the book to see their pics and how they were portrayed in it and therefore also saw the pic of Efren provided that it is a picture of him.

Also who was the best player in the Philipines at the time? I know most people will probably say Parica but I don't want to speculate.

Any thoughts?

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Information just didn't move as fast nor was it as widespread back in those days. There may have been somebody at that first tournament that had read the book and seen the picture, but I doubt it. It took a while to gain notoriety 45 years ago. Besides, Efren is very "sneeky"...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also who was the best player in the Philipines at the time? I know most people will probably say Parica but I don't want to speculate.

Any thoughts?
At the time, The Man was Amang: Jose' Parica.

Prior to that, people have said that Bagiou Boy was probably the #1 player when Efren was still in his teens, and that prior to that, the names Jun Qapio and Ramon Brobio were the players to beat in the 1960's

Freddie <~~~ or so the stories go

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One question I have is if there is a picture of Efren in a book published in 1979 how did he sneek up on players at the Red's tournament when he first came over in 1985? ... Any thoughts?
Well, this is the picture of Efren in "Billiards":

Grissim 001.jpg

Here is the winner's photo from Red's as published in the Accu-stats newsletter:

CropperCapture[38].jpg

Clearly a different person -- Caesar Morales has a mustache ;)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of guys had heard about him in a general sense. I.e. That there was a kid in the Phillipines that was really good, etc... They didn't really know what he looked like and they weren't expecting him to just show up. From people I've talked to that were at Red's, after he beat a few people some guys put it together that he was the guy from Manila they had heard about. Then it was about trying to bet on him without the other guys catching on. Lol.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his book he mentions that he plays a good looking kid by the name of Efren Reyes while in Manila. Mind you this book was published in 1979. There also appears to be a picture of Efren.

He states that Efren is considered the second best player in the Philippines.

One question I have is if there is a picture of Efren in a book published in 1979 how did he sneek up on players at the Red's tournament when he first came over in 1985?

There are many pics of players in this book and many were quoted telling stories and other tales of playing pool for a living. I have to assume that they looked at the book to see their pics and how they were portrayed in it and therefore also saw the pic of Efren provided that it is a picture of him.

Any thoughts?

How many pool players actually read books much less remember obscure photos ?
Lol :smile:

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He fooled everyone

I was at Reds in early 80s and had just read Grissoms book but didn't recognize Efren (Caesar Morales) from the book.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That picture in the book does not look like Efren to me. I used to have that book also...borrowed to a friend, and it got a bunch of water damage in it. :(

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That picture in the book does not look like Efren to me. I used to have that book also...borrowed to a friend, and it got a bunch of water damage in it. :(
In case you want a replacement, I have some extras at $20 including shipping.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any thoughts?

I lived in Angeles City, Phillipines from 1979 to 1982...the same city Efren is from.

The Philippine champion at that time was Jose Parica. They even had a rip-off TV advertisement for San Miguel beer, where Parica was doing the same shot Mizerak did for the Miller Lite commercial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tYL2Btxmjg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, this is the picture of Efren in "Billiards":

View attachment 432783

Here is the winner's photo from Red's as published in the Accu-stats newsletter:

View attachment 432784

Clearly a different person -- Caesar Morales has a mustache ;)

In the second photo, Efren is the one with his hands in his belt and the white T-Shirt. John told several of us at the Caesars Tahoe event in 1983 that there were players over there that could spot any American player the eight ball. I didn't believe him. I was certain that the American players were the best on the planet. I found out like everyone else at Reds in 1985 that he was right. Efren's backers were giving games on the wire in every match he played, as many as five or six games going to eleven. He was beating everyone 11-4 and 11-3. I think Diliberto got to five.

Only in the finals against Wade Crane did they lose their bets, with Efren winning by only 11-9. Efren won the tournament, almost all the side bets and beat everyone he gambled with (Sigel, Louie, Keith) night after night. Their only loss was to Buddy Hall (5K) after the tourney had ended. Efren did not play that well in that match (I refereed). Some people thought that was a decision his backers made since they were getting a lot of heat from the Texans who lost a lot of money to them (over 50K total). They agreed to play again the next day but Efren and his crew beat it out of there that night.

P.S. I believe that is B-Boy shooting in those photos. He was killed after a supposed dump game.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In case you want a replacement, I have some extras at $20 including shipping.
I forgot to qualify the shipping part of this. For shipping outside the US, add the difference between that and US media mail (which is about $3).