Has anybody here had cataract surgery?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have them on both eyes now. Right is my dominant eye and it is getting pretty bad.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of someone cutting on my eye. If you had this surgery how did it work out for you?

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
I just had cataract surgery on my right eye and will need my left eye done sometime in the future. It was pretty much a breeze. The surgery only takes about 20 minutes and you are not fully sedated. I have not had any issues. I go back in a week to get a new prescription for eye glasses. now that my right eye is done , I see how bad my left eye is. If you do not have a stigmatism i think you can get your eyes done so you do not need glasses at all. I had to take 11 days off work because I was tested for covid and then quaranteened til the day of surgery and then a week for recovery. even though i could see i was not allowed any lifting or anything that may put stress on the rye.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have them on both eyes now. Right is my dominant eye and it is getting pretty bad.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of someone cutting on my eye. If you had this surgery how did it work out for you?

Not cataract but lasik about 18 years ago - not the same but similar idea. Though you hear stories it's a safe operation. My eyes are still good 18 years later, I can see distance and read without glasses. Cataract surgeries come up a lot for older golfers. They can only see the ball 75 to 100 yards before it disappears. Everybody I know who had the surgery came out without complications.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I had cataract surgery last summer. No problems so far, and I see much more clearly than I ever have in my life. Just make sure you choose the right kind of lens for you.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had both eyes lens replaced a week apart about 15 or so years ago. It was with absolutely great results. The doctor touched one eye up with laser a year later. My pool game improved.

My vision is still great at 77. One extra benefit, annual exams discovered macular degeneration in one eye at an early stage. It is now under control.

Depending on the type of lens you select, medicare may cover it. Mine were the flexible type which were more expensive so I had out of pocket expenses. Flexible lens gave me the freedom of not using reading glasses. Well worth it especially since I am in good health yet.

Send a PM if you want more info or just need to talk about it.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
My wife had the right eye done May 8h.....The left eye July 8th...Surgery took about 30 minutes...Np discomfort...Easy as pie...Now she is amazed how well she can see and how bright everything is...She is more then happy she had it done....Her team mate friend had it done a few months before she did and team mate is just as happy she had it done and no problems..

Go for it..It's not scary and its fast and eye sight is amazing afterwards....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably wait until this covid nonsense calms down.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incredible......had one eye done May 2019 and the other done 6weeks later.

Right after the left eye, my worst one was done, I could shoot pool without glasses.

After my right eye was done, I could read fine print and got rid of eyeglasses entirely.

Best thing in the world as my vision in one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/25 with
standard cataract lenses. I also passed up getting the customized cataract lens option.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t know whether he had cataract or lasik (etc.), but an acquaintance got a persistent infection after his surgery, and now is blind in one eye. While I realize the success rate is very high, still, not how I planned to spend MY retirement. Cataracts will likely get me eventually (vision already blurred slightly), but I think blurred vision is still probably better than none. When I finally can’t pass the driving test, then I’ll deal with it.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 yrs ago? detached retina, surgery, 6 months til eye gradually fills back up with fluid.

Due to above process, the lens dries out as the retina heals. So a year after retina surgery, had to have the cataract done. same eye.

Last annual check up before covid, doc said i had 20-20 vision with my glasses, just can't see much out of left eye. :) Scar tissue grows on lens, and also on retina. Will eventually have to address it.

Wife had both eye cataracts done maybe 3 years ago, non-event. Except now she is scheduled to go back and get scar tissue removed. getting harder to see through it.

Operation itself is simple and painless. IIRC all they gave me was a 'lude and i was conscious but out of it.

smt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my right eye done in December and my left eye done a couple months ago.

For distance I am 20/20 in each eye. I need reading glasses for something really close or tiny.

I had a detached retina in my right eye a couple years before cataract surgery. I have had both eyes drained and replaced with saline solution and I have had a retina peel on my left eye.

Me and my eye doctor are buddies and I trust him with my eyes more than I trust a dentist cleaning my teeth.

The last time I saw him he was going to give me some eye drops to do something to make my retinas heal faster after my surgeries (nothing to do with cataracts) and he said I had two options. The slow way of putting the drops in my eyes three times a day for a couple months or the fast way. I asked what was the fast way and he said he would inject the stuff directly in the membrane around the inside of my eye.

I did not even hesitate. I said, "hit me up Doc" and he injected that shit while I was sitting there talking to him.

I go back for a checkup at the end of the month.

It is such a relief to not be dragging glasses around all the time or dealing with contacts.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 yrs ago? detached retina, surgery, 6 months til eye gradually fills back up with fluid.

Due to above process, the lens dries out as the retina heals. So a year after retina surgery, had to have the cataract done. same eye.

Last annual check up before covid, doc said i had 20-20 vision with my glasses, just can't see much out of left eye. :) Scar tissue grows on lens, and also on retina. Will eventually have to address it.

Wife had both eye cataracts done maybe 3 years ago, non-event. Except now she is scheduled to go back and get scar tissue removed. getting harder to see through it.

Operation itself is simple and painless. IIRC all they gave me was a 'lude and i was conscious but out of it.

smt

If you are talking the scar tissue that I am thinking about, my Doc said he could do that in about 15 seconds with a laser while you are sitting right there in the chair.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Retina surgeon was woodworker & wonderful person. He was aware of tools i used to make. Like you, we became friends, once took him on day off to meet some of the famous guys. He handpicked my cataract doc. Even came down (150 miles) to my shop to help move something. Unfortunately he retired. .

Problem for my eye is scar on both. Lens scar tissue is as you note, schedule laser op. He checks year by year. The retina is knives again.

smt

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it done to my left eye just before Christmas. The doc removed the bandage the next day and I could see well, but a couple days later it was like looking through frosted glass.

The doc told me the cataract was very hard, and he couldn't remove all of it, as it was stuck to the membrane enclosing it.

He said the remaining piece dropped down into the field of view, so for now, I'm blind in my left eye.

He said there is a procedure to try to remove it from inside the eye, behind the lens. I asked about removing the new lens so he could go in from the front, he said no, that would tear up your eye.

My right eye is getting worse, but I don't want the operation until they fix the other one. Don't know when I will go back for it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had it done to my left eye just before Christmas. The doc removed the bandage the next day and I could see well, but a couple days later it was like looking through frosted glass.

The doc told me the cataract was very hard, and he couldn't remove all of it, as it was stuck to the membrane enclosing it.

He said the remaining piece dropped down into the field of view, so for now, I'm blind in my left eye.

He said there is a procedure to try to remove it from inside the eye, behind the lens. I asked about removing the new lens so he could go in from the front, he said no, that would tear up your eye.

My right eye is getting worse, but I don't want the operation until they fix the other one. Don't know when I will go back for it.
sorry to hear about your result

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one eye done a year ago. Perfect. NO PAIN. None, ever. The whole thing took 30 min. Best, easiest medical procedure I've ever had. No problems after. Do exactly what they tell you with the drops before and after.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Johnny. That's what I'm concerned about. If I get it done it will only be the right eye. Don't want to be blind in both eyes.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, the surgery is a breeze, no problems. Had both eyes done about two weeks apart. I got the multi- focal lens, more money, but I have 20-20 in both eyes. My pool game has improve greatly and those table length thin cuts are not a problem any more. No worries, just do it.