sponsor

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the owner of a company who not only has sponsored a player but also would consider sponsoring a player again, I have a few observations.

You do yourself a disservice by being anonymous. Lets face it, if I'm going to sponsor you, the first thing I need to know about is you. And if I don't even know your name, I have no place to start.

Stop using the term "sponsor". It screams charity, and no cuemaker or cue company wants to support someone. It's hard enough supporting our employees and our families. Realistically, its more advertising than anything else.

If you want something from a cue company or cuemaker, provide a way to earn it. We are all about selling our cues or products. Don't talk about helping to promote them, talk about how you will help sell them. It's all about ROI, or return on investment.

If you are good enough for people to follow you, then start a fan club. I know that if a player approached me with a real fan club that has a large number of members, then I would know that they can not only attract fans but also keep them. Basically, it shows that you can sell yourself. If you can't sell yourself to the public, then how can you help me sell my product?

Hopefully, all this comes across as supportive and positive. It's certainly meant that way. We in the industry work very hard for our money, and would expect nothing less from a player. Remember, it's not necessarily about how good you play. It's much more about how good you sell yourself, your image, and our products.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

He said what his name is
Frankie Cologne

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralph

I appreciate your support of Frankie.

Although how good a player plays is important, its not the most important part. In fact, it's a long way from the most important part.

Your friend is asking for a cue or two to help him out. If he could go out and sell just a few cues for me he would more than pay for the cues he's asking for. If you think about it, a local player who is very influential in his local area could very easily pay his own way in "sponsorship" by simply selling a few cues. So, how he plays isn't as important as you think.

Everyone talks about skill, but skill is just part of the picture. Pool is different than many other sports. Football players can get paid for using their skills, as can many other high profile sports. But there are many sports where the skill doesn't really earn any money. Pool is like that. However, that skill can earn him the access to earn money in ways he would not have access to without that skill. What he needs to do is learn what is available to him. He now knows that just asking for a cue isn't really available, but he hasn't learned what is available to him. Maybe he should start by going to the owner of the room he plays out of and asking him "how can I help to improve your business". Maybe he can offer to do free lessons to new players once a week. He will need a lesson plan, and should represent the pool room properly, but that would be a good start.

Also, he needs to know that, when he represents a company, he is on stage anytime he's in front of pool players of any kind. When I sponsor a player and he acts poorly, it reflects on me and my business. It doesn't matter where he is, it matters if the people who witness his poor actions know he represents me. I tell this same thing to my employees. Just because they are not on the clock, the public knows where they work.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to see Frankie and many others like him prosper from our sport. If we had more players who thought about these things maybe our sport could beat the bad rap it has.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Absolutely correct, and those that see the need for young players to reach a higher level of success would help.

Mario

RBC

Deceased
frankie cologne l.i open 1st many other open tournys

from bay shore n.y.

also on the money list on az (predator tour and mezz)

cool with jerry at nycgrind.com and could have pics up all the time

will promote sell wear shirts or patches to represent my sponsor!

i'm not shane,hatch,mika but who here is sponsoring them on here?

i have heart........and will send back cue if we dont work or if we do we will make arrangments

Macguy

You're right, I think, he did post what looks like his name. However, if I'm considering entering into a business relationship with him I would need to know a little more about him. To be honest, I couldn't quite make out what exactly what his name is, at least with certainty.

Lets face it, if he is selling himself, which is exactly what he's doing, it needs to at least look like it.

I look at his original post as an application for a job. Imagine that you're interviewing a perspective employee. One who will represent you, your company, your employees, and your family! And not only does he not give his name until asked, when he does give it, it's unclear. Is he Frankie Cologne I, or Frankie Cologne the 1st? I was lost at all the I.iopen. He may be just Frankie Cologne from Bay Shore New York, but I'm not sure.

I go back to my first post. He is either asking for charity, or looking for a job. It's one or the other. Apparently, he's looking for charity which is a shame because I would like to find guys like him who are looking for a job. Sorry, I'm just not interested in supporting someone. My posts in this thread were intended to share the perspective from the other side, but it doesn't seem to be getting through.

Sorry if I've bothered anyone.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hi,

Sponsors want champions to represent them. Most cue makers would like free money also. You have done nothing to deserve anything.

When you are a champion multiple times you will be in the rarified air and sponsors will seek you out. Until then you are barking up the wrong tree with cue makers.

Good Luck to you but you need to grow up and smell the roses in the real world. You have delusions of grandeur or are just immature of the ways of the world.

Buy a lotto ticket, those odds are way better for what your are seeking.

Rick

You have a better chance of getting your period than a sponsor............

Kim

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the easiest way for sponsorship is your marketability overall. If a company or cuemaker see you're in there with a certain presence to others in the game that pushes their products further and profits, they'd be more interested in you. If you're consistently placing top 5 in every event in the area, you will be noticed. Jump on a penn station train a couple times a month and do the same in other neighboring states. The only other way is simply making sales for a potential sponsor up front. Even you're just a C player like myself, yet make money for the company or cuemaker, he'll definitley help you out. One hand washes the other, know what I mean?

Other lower leveled shooters are helped out because of that same concept. They market the company and help make profits. Best thing you can do is kick ass in every event, where you and your game won't be ignored any longer. Being a well liked player wherever you go will only get you there faster.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I believe you are right Trent. He might not be coming back but he is reading it.
If I were him, I'd be PMing Royce.

It does sound like Royce is willing to be accommodating in the way of offering a job for a cue. Whats wrong with getting some business cards stating that you are a player Rep for OB Cues. Keep a catalog with you at all times.

Start passing out cards and pushing the OB line. When Royce sees that
Franky is trying his best, Frank might find himself in a good spot.

You know why I seriously doubt that Franky will take Royce up on his offer?
Because it might involve a little extra work and all I have seen so far is
someone looking for a freebie. Sorry, most times I call them as I see them.

Darn Royce, I almost want to get some cards made up and start pushing the OB line where I am. It might get me a nice OB shaft.

I got a new customer last night and he was inquiring about a Pred shaft.
It wouldn't be that hard to swing him the other way.

Last edited:

Trent

Banned
I always swing people towards OB, lets face it if you want a LD shaft OB is the best quality and customer service you can get.

i was thinking of putting a OB on my new cue i just posted up but........ i havent played with a LD shaft in 5-6yrs now. but i do like the classic shafts so.... who knows.

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, I see. Now you're putting it back on us. You ask for free equipment. You don't get the responses that you were hoping for and now you're feeling bad and its our fault.

You know what bud. I sold my tractor and trailer unit. I financed my lathes, wood, you name it, I bought it. I just do repairs. I play with a $100 cue I bought off of EBay. You should as well. I fixed it up and its the nutz. If you're such a great player, you don't need a free custom. Make do with what you have.

BTW. Those are pretty nice looking cues that you have in your Avatar pic. Can you explain those. Are they yours? If so, it doesn't look like you need any help. Or are you just a poser, pretending that they are yours?

Whos they may I ask. I mean, the ones making it tough on you.
People are going out of their way to make life rough for you?

yes those are some of the tascarella work he wzs nice enough to bring down! i hope this answers your question bud

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you are right Trent. He might not be coming back but he is reading it.

It does sound like Royce is willing to be accommodating in the way of offering a job for a cue. Whats wrong with getting some business cards stating that you are a player Rep for OB Cues. Keep a catalog with you at all times.

Darn Royce, I almost want to get some cards made up and start pushing the OB line where I am. It might get me a nice OB shaft.

thanks for your input sir...i'll try talking to him and if he helps i'll gladly promote sell and do whatever! ty

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i'll talk to him and i'm not afraid of work if it will help! but please stop saying i'm looking for a freebie or handout cause you dont know me or what i'm about just looking for help and i apologize if i went about it the wrong way

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some tough questions, but also some very fair ones by the cuemakers. Pool is an incredibly tough sport to make a buck in, thats no denyin'. But i will say this, Frankie puts his time in and he's a tough, heads up player. He's no chump. I've seen him knock off some heavy hitters at the local tourneys around the NYC area and he plays well. He's looking for a chance, a start. He's been the house man at Mr. Cue billiards in Lindenhurst for years. Maybe not plane fare and hotel fees. But something! This guy deserves a shot.

thank you ralph i am not looking for money just equipment since i've had some $ problems but have come up a long way! thank you for your kind words and send my best to laura

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue I bought at age 14 was a Rich cue bought from Abe Rosen local houseman, world billiard champion and 300+ run in pool. He gave lessons , sold cues and whatever, West 79th Street and Broadway, upstairs. :) You know what it must have felt like for a player of his caliber to give lessons to wet behind the ears 14 year olds.

As far as Frankie Beanz is concerned why doesn't your employer sponser you. I'll do this much I do know you by sight but don't no anything about you...I'll check you out at the next tournament, ask a bunch of people about you, report back to the hungry masses over here. Oscar is breaking with one of my cues I'll ask him first.

Mario

you can ask oscar about me mario he has said nice things about you and i appreciate the thought of you thinking about me!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You know what Franky, I was kind of mean on my last post. I was daring you to come back and see what you'd say regarding Royce's offer.

It did sound a bit harsh but maybe it worked. I think I am going to change my mind about you. You did come back and I think you are sincere.

You could have come back and got all p issy but you didn't. You handled it better than many would have.

Yeah, maybe you could have worded the thread better but everyone makes mistakes and who am I to judge.

Good luck and I hope things work out should you be able to get some sales going for Royce.

Terry.

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the owner of a company who not only has sponsored a player but also would consider sponsoring a player again, I have a few observations.

You do yourself a disservice by being anonymous. Lets face it, if I'm going to sponsor you, the first thing I need to know about is you. And if I don't even know your name, I have no place to start.

Stop using the term "sponsor". It screams charity, and no cuemaker or cue company wants to support someone. It's hard enough supporting our employees and our families. Realistically, its more advertising than anything else.

If you want something from a cue company or cuemaker, provide a way to earn it. We are all about selling our cues or products. Don't talk about helping to promote them, talk about how you will help sell them. It's all about ROI, or return on investment.

If you are good enough for people to follow you, then start a fan club. I know that if a player approached me with a real fan club that has a large number of members, then I would know that they can not only attract fans but also keep them. Basically, it shows that you can sell yourself. If you can't sell yourself to the public, then how can you help me sell my product?

Hopefully, all this comes across as supportive and positive. It's certainly meant that way. We in the industry work very hard for our money, and would expect nothing less from a player. Remember, it's not necessarily about how good you play. It's much more about how good you sell yourself, your image, and our products.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

royce i'm looking for a job or chance to promote a company that would take a chance! i have no problem putting in leg work to help a company and myself! the l.i. open or long island open was a tournament that keith k.c.jones put togeather every year and i won 1 of them right before my friend passed on and i see so many players from d-a-open to promote to! its def a broader spectrum of sales to them than a pro!

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what Franky, I was kind of mean on my last post. I was daring you to come back and see what you'd say regarding Royce's offer.

It did sound a bit harsh but maybe it worked. I think I am going to change my mind about you. You did come back and I think you are sincere.

You could have come back and got all p issy but you didn't. You handled it better than many would have.

Yeah, maybe you could have worded the thread better but everyone makes mistakes and who am I to judge.

Good luck and I hope things work out should you be able to get some sales going for Royce.

Terry.
thank you terry for your kind words! and trust me i was alittle bent and your right maybe i said it the wrong way but i appreciate all the positive and negative comments! just looking for a equipment deal,cue,breakcue,tips thats all and i would send it all back if it didnt go the way the people that would help me wanted! i know u guys are not rich and put it back into your company and i know its hard out there and it took alot of my pride to ask! but i see so many nice cuemakers on here and thought maybe some1 would take a gamble!

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Franky:

I have read every one of your post since the beginning. You have held you cool very well. My question is to you. Do you think you could represent your self at all times the way you have here? By the way I am the one who talked with Ralph! We are very good friends. Ralph and Laura are great people. I consider both of them very good friends!

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart! even if some of the comments were harsh i appreciate peoples point of view and i know it's tough for me to ask such a big favor and i know it is a risk for a cue maker to have faith in a player to do the right thing! i know the market is tough and you al have a nut to cover and i understand but regardless i have a big heart and compete like it's life or death because of the love of the sport which 1 day i would like to put in what i took out of it! it's a passion that we all have in common and even though our opinions differ 1 thing is certain that flame is in all of us! anyway thank everyone for there critics good or bad i'm not mad cause they are all valid points and i have had people pm me and some talks are going on! so i just wanted to say i'm a honest good guy just like many of you guys and would like to say thank you az is a wonderful tool and i enjoy everything i read on here and will continue to do so

thanks
frankie

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Frankie he seems to be a nice youngman and the general pool population agreeds. Any further questions about him will be addressed privately and confidentially due to rights of privacy.

Mario

frankybeanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Frankie he seems to be a nice youngman and the general pool population agreeds. Any further questions about him will be addressed privately and confidentially due to rights of privacy.

Mario

thanks for the talk the other night mario and appreciate your input and if you could talk to some of the cuemakers on az to confirm i'm a standup guy that would be great! ttyl

frankie