Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 22 Great Vintage Pool Articles from Sports Illustrated

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
22 Great Vintage Pool Articles from Sports Illustrated
Old
  (#1)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

22 Great Vintage Pool Articles from Sports Illustrated - 06-24-2008, 07:45 AM

I just spent many,many hours gleaning all the top pool articles (22) from the newly released Sports Illustrated archives. They run chronologically from 1954 to 1978 and they include probably the greatest pool article of all-time, Tom Fox's, "A Hustler's Holiday in the Lion's Den," from 1961. The first, and best, Johnston City story. Lots of stories about Fatty, Wimpy, Danny Di, Lisciotti, Buddy, etc. (even me). It will provide hours of pleasurable reading, so sit back, relax and enjoy how it was in the old days. They can be accessed on my website at one of my new blog pages: www.poolarticlessportsillustrated.blogspot.com/

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#2)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-24-2008, 07:58 AM

Alot of good stories there Freddy,I posted 4 or 5 of them up a month or so ago but you have been doing some digging!

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Thanks Len,
Old
  (#3)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Len, - 06-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lenny
Alot of good stories there Freddy,I posted 4 or 5 of them up a month or so ago but you have been doing some digging!
Thanks Len, you are the one that got me started on the project. I was originally just looking for a particular article and I got carried away.

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#4)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-25-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
Thanks Len, you are the one that got me started on the project. I was originally just looking for a particular article and I got carried away.

the Beard
Bump for some great stories you folks will love!

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Old
  (#5)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife
Terry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lenny
Bump for some great stories you folks will love!

Bump just for the giggles!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=97058

Shows what I long suspected....I'm on lots of ignore lists!

Terry Loop-Lock, PHD (Pool Hall Degree)

The highest paid people in our country should be the U.S.Navy SEAL's, U.S. Army Delta Force operators, Rangers & Special Forces, USMC personnel & every other soildier, sailor or airman who goes overseas, away from family & home and fights in combat.
Please pray for these warriors & their families.

(1 John 5:11-13)

Old
  (#6)
punter
AzB Silver Member
punter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Great stuff here Freddy !! Thanks.

Old
  (#7)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

06-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the link to the stories.....

James

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

You're the best
Old
  (#8)
9BallPaul
Banned
9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 766

You're the best - 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

SI articles
Old
  (#9)
DRW
AzB Silver Member
DRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond reputeDRW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2940

SI articles - 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
I just spent many,many hours gleaning all the top pool articles (22) from the newly released Sports Illustrated archives. They run chronologically from 1954 to 1978 and they include probably the greatest pool article of all-time, Tom Fox's, "A Hustler's Holiday in the Lion's Den," from 1961. The first, and best, Johnston City story. Lots of stories about Fatty, Wimpy, Danny Di, Lisciotti, Buddy, etc. (even me). It will provide hours of pleasurable reading, so sit back, relax and enjoy how it was in the old days. They can be accessed on my website at one of my new blog pages: www.poolarticlessportsillustrated.blogspot.com/

the Beard
Thanks Freddy! Couldn't stop, read the entire group without getting out of the chair.

Old
  (#10)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2008, 07:03 AM

Wow, Freddie, thanks a bunch!! Must have taken you hours. Bumping for people who may not have seen this yet.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-05-2020, 02:34 PM

Bumping this old thread. Amazingly, the page still exists after twelve years and the death of its creator.

www.poolarticlessportsillustrated.blogspot.com/

This link to a 1961 article in SI may work...

https://vault.si.com/vault/43359#&gi...---057---image

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2020, 02:38 PM

Nice bump, just curious, why was the Original Poster's name red?

Old
  (#13)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Nice bump, just curious, why was the Original Poster's name red?
It means the poster passed away

Freddy is no longer with us

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

What does a laughably out of touch old man sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type79
Stay in your lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
I own you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach

Old
  (#14)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
It means the poster passed away

Freddy is no longer with us
Thanks for the clarification bud,

RIP to Freddy, seems like a real quality poster based on this thread alone, I wasn't sure that Bob was referring to him in his bump.

There have been a few members I have connected with since being here that have passed away, but the color of their names didn't change, (Neil comes to mind),

Shame when we lose someone here, btw, I don't think the articles are accessible anymore.

Last edited by Snooker Theory; 03-05-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-05-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Shame when we lose someone here, btw, I don't think the articles are accessible anymore.
I see that now. I actually started with the 1961 Johnston City article link in hand and it led me to this thread. My link to that above works right now.

If you want to see the other SI articles mentioned on Freddy's page, you will have to do a search on SI, I guess.

They are probably all on vault.si.com now.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: