Instructors that won't tell you what speed they are

Jen_Cen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was e-mailing back and forth with an instructor who advertises on here. He runs a pool school. All I wanted to know was what speed he is rated as a player.

And this instructor would not disclose this info. Instead he danced around and said it doesn't make a difference.

If he's ashamed to disclose his rating, it must be low. I'm not about to give $900 to an instructor who's only a C player.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Careful...

There is an old saying...
"Those that can do, those that can't, teach".
What I know for sure is that the best instructors in the sport of golf could not go head to head with the lowest ranked player on the PGA tour.
Bottom line...I would not rule out anyone teaching ability based solely on their playing ability.

johnnydub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive never had a pool lesson before but i believe most instructors focus on mechanics and fundamentals within your game rather than helping you through racks, the rest would be up to you, so i dont see what the difference is whether he or she is an A player.
jmho

Fragged

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen_Cen said:
I was e-mailing back and forth with an instructor who advertises on here. He runs a pool school. All I wanted to know was what speed he is rated as a player.

And this instructor would not disclose this info. Instead he danced around and said it doesn't make a difference.

If he's ashamed to disclose his rating, it must be low. I'm not about to give $900 to an instructor who's only a C player.

There are some pretty good instructors that are not top pro speed. If you are a 'c/d' player, I'd say a high B can help you a lot.

Also remember Tiger Woods has a coach and who is better than him?

Jen_Cen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with what everyone here has said. You do not need to be a pro to be a good instructor.

But if you are asked directly, shouldn't you disclose? An instructor is selling a product, himself. Isn't the level he plays at one of the most basic stats you can use to help decide if you're going to give him $900?

Would you give $900 to a D player who read The Science of Pocket Billiards and can tell you all about throw and squirt, but couldn't run 3 balls?

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Maybe You Should Just Ask By Name If Anyone Has Had Any Experience With This Instructor. If It's Good Then Your Ok, If Not I'm Sure You Will Be Given Other Names To Consider. Also If It's Bad Then Maybe The Inst. Will Read About It & Improve. Everybody Wins.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Jen_Cen said:
I agree with what everyone here has said. You do not need to be a pro to be a good instructor.

But if you are asked directly, shouldn't you disclose? An instructor is selling a product, himself. Isn't the level he plays at one of the most basic stats you can use to help decide if you're going to give him $900?

Would you give $900 to a D player who read The Science of Pocket Billiards and can tell you all about throw and squirt, but couldn't run 3 balls?
Although it helps to inspire your confidence in them, they don't have to be able to run three balls. They have to be able to get you to run three balls.

Jen_Cen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
Most of the really good instructors teach full time. They don't play full time. To have a high level of play, you have to play a lot.

Yeah, but before they became instructors, they probably played recreationally. Or maybe seriously. So, it's fair to wonder how far they were able to advance themselves on the pool path.

If you wanted to buy a car, and asked how many miles were on it, or what kind of engine does it have, and the seller dodged the question, that situation does not inspire confidence in the seller.

Tim5000

Silver Member
You said it's one of the instructors on this site? I've heard nothing but good things about the teachers here on this site. I've taken some lessons from one of them myself. The only one I would beware of is A.O., he might know how to play pool but he's well known around here as a nutcase! :eek:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steppin Up!

randyg said:
Email me. randyg@poolschool.com

I will be more than happy to share this info with you. Pool School deposit is only $100. Thanks.......SPF=randyg

I'll bet he'll tell you how good a golfer he is also! If you ask nicely! It will be the best lessons you can get!

Been There Done That.
Dan

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Just because someone can't run 100 balls doesn't mean they're a bad instructor, and just because someone can run 100 doesn't mean they're a good teacher.

I liken this to baseball, you have instructors for everything. Can they throw a fast ball 100mph or hit 350? No, but that's not what thet're paid to do. They're paid to examine mechanics and correct errors.

It doesn't matter to me what speed the play at, but what speed they brought their students to play at.

Of course this is just my opinion...

Jim

Jen_Cen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jhendri2 said:
Just because someone can't run 100 balls doesn't mean they're a bad instructor, and just because someone can run 100 doesn't mean they're a good teacher.

I liken this to baseball, you have instructors for everything. Can they throw a fast ball 100mph or hit 350? No, but that's not what thet're paid to do. They're paid to examine mechanics and correct errors.

It doesn't matter to me what speed the play at, but what speed they brought their students to play at.

Of course this is just my opinion...

Jim

Right, I agree.

But if you ask a pool instructor what speed they play at, they should answer you.

Also, in baseball, I believe that hitting and pitching instructors were former Major League players. And they examine mechanics and all that, but they also scout out the opposing hitters/pitchers and formulate game plans to exploit their weaknesses.

Last edited:

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen_Cen said:

Well first off are you a beginner?An instructure can help you regardless or his rating if you are.I understand where you are coming from,but anyone can go to school and become a bca instructure.There are 2 poeple where I shot pool that did this and only one could make balls.People skills are a big part and communication skills also.900 dollars is alot of cash and I'm sure you can find someone to help you with your game where you are.If your in New jersey I can help you if your want to be interested.After the fundamentals practice is best and You should practice with someone your speed or better.I would suggest where you play pool to try and befriend on of the better players and you will be amazed what they can teach you.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Mark Wilson is one of the best instructors and was a good tour player. Robles in NY also gives lessons and is a great player.

I was just about to post that some of the great players who instruct charge quite a bit. I think people here have posted that Souqet is 100/hr and Sigel much more than that. The funny part is I was going to post that I heard Ray Martin only charges 50 and hour and is one of the greatest living players; especially for straight pool fans. He gets TOP level respect from old timers as being one the guys who really, really knows the right way to play. Dallas West was another player they mentioned for 14.1

Nice to see you post here, Ray. Blackjack praises your 99 Critical Shots book as the best book out there for pool players.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Jen_Cen said:
Right, I agree.

But if you ask a pool instructor what speed they play at, they should answer you.

Also, in baseball, I believe that hitting and pitching instructors were former Major League players. And they examine mechanics and all that, but they also scout out the opposing hitters/pitchers and formulate game plans to exploit their weaknesses.

Check his/her references and then determine for yourself if he/she is worth your $900. You might want to move on to the next instructor though, it seems this relationship may have already soured.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Teaching

This topic sort of bugs me. Sorry no offense but teaching really is an art. It is about getting someone to understand what you are putting out there as an instructor. Try it some time it is really not alll that easy. Want lessons from the best take a lesson from Efren Reyes, (which I am pretty sure he won't do), see if you get anything out of that! He says he cannot explain "what he do he just do it". I have copies of books "written" by Willie Mosconi, well, of course it was written by a ghost writer. We all know he was not a teacher and probably would not have been a good one. However, just having his name on the book probably sold exponentionally more copies than without.

I have a friend that spent a fair amount of money to go see Allison Fisher. She did really well with him. Explained where he was failing and helped him to see why that was affecting his game. "Geez", he said it was pretty much everything I told him and I am just and APA 7. What did he learn? Fundementals, fundementals, but more importantly why the fundementals are important, probably something I cannot teach.

Here is my take. Spend your money on an hour or two and see if what this person is telling you makes any sense. It is probablay way cheaper than your next pool stick, and certainly way cheaper than the amount of time that you will be spending stuck at a certain level with your game.

Slurp Slurp...... Martini Heaven
Sincereley Good Luck With Your Game:)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Little nugget I've picked up over the years of being around pro sports ,

More often than not , the best players are the absolute worst teachers. :)

As far as dropping $900 sight unseen , well that is just rediculous. Any decent intructor of decent merit would be happy to spend a few minutes with you first to see if you make a good match. If they won't , then you probably answered that question right off the bat. ;)