What ever happened to------?

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most all of us knows someone who a few years ago seemed to be destined for pool greatness, and then just seemed to disappear. Who were they and where were they from? Maybe there are some interesting stories, maybe we can renew some acquiantances or old friendships. Maybe just satisfy some curiosities.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most all of us knows someone who a few years ago seemed to be destined for pool greatness, and then just seemed to disappear. Who were they and where were they from? Maybe there are some interesting stories, maybe we can renew some acquiantances or old friendships. Maybe just satisfy some curiosities.
I knew one, local boy named Chris Krudzman. Silky smooth stroke, break that hurt your ears, and good ball control, couldn't miss champion. Made a bad decision, and became a surgeon instead of a pool player. LOL :):):)

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I knew a guy in Germany who was (or may still be) active duty Air Force by the name of Ron Gisel. He was a tremendous player. I always thought he would go pro, but never heard about him again.

Jim

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew one, local boy named Chris Krudzman. Silky smooth stroke, break that hurt your ears, and good ball control, couldn't miss champion. Made a bad decision, and became a surgeon instead of a pool player. LOL :):):)

A surgeon?!! That might come back to haunt him later in life when he realizes he could've been forced to stay up all night woofing at some shortsop to get a game so he could win a few bucks to get home:D:D

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew a guy in Germany who was (or may still be) active duty Air Force by the name of Ron Gisel. He was a tremendous player. I always thought he would go pro, but never heard about him again.

Jim
I am sure some AZ'er will know something about most anyone.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of potential monster players that suddenly quit the game for whatever reason, I think those are usually the smart ones who realize it's not a good way to make a living. I knew a young man in NYC in the mid 90's who improved his game at a truly frightening rate. He went from a C player to an A+ player in about a year and half, he was practicing like a demon every chance he got, his high run in straight pool was 57 at one point and then 3 months later I saw him run a 91 followed by a 67. he started cashing in a couple of Joss events, he was absorbing knowledge like a sponge and everyone assumed he would be a pro in no time, he just had a very, very optimistic attitude about the game. Then he completely disappeared. I ran into him on the street and he said he hadn't picked up a cue in 5 months. He said he realized there was no future in pool and he could make a better living by simply working a regular job.

I think that happens to a lot of people. But to this day I've never seen anyone improve as quickly as that guy.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I think a theme is emergiing here...potential world beaters realizing that it's damned tough to reach the top, and even at the top, the rewards aren't all that great compared to other professions.

You play for fun, really...those who try to make a living playing are often disappointed. Especially tough if a wife & children enter the picture.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Chris Krudzman. Silky smooth stroke, break that hurt your ears, and good ball control, couldn't miss champion. Made a bad decision, and became a surgeon instead of a pool player.
The hustler in Chris is lying dormant for the right chance to take down a few plastic surgeons.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Im not sure but I think alot of players who are at the top of their game dont want the attention. I am friends with a few of the top players in my area and more than one has told me they hate the attention that comes with being a top player

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a theme is emergiing here...potential world beaters realizing that it's damned tough to reach the top, and even at the top, the rewards aren't all that great compared to other professions.

You play for fun, really...those who try to make a living playing are often disappointed. Especially tough if a wife & children enter the picture.

I remember one pro telling me by the time you fly to a tournament, geta hotel room and pay the entry fee you're down about $1500 before you even hit a ball. That's pressure to make that money up right off the bat.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, some young players with a lot of promise and results to back it up didn't stay the course. European Mosconi Cup team member Alex Lely and US Open runner-up Tang Hoa are two that come to mind.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was Nicky Schulman of NYC who had a ton of natural talent and looked to be well on his way to a pro career, and then he won a World Poker tour stop and that was that.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I tend to think that anyone who quits playing pool altogether because there is no money in it are playing for the wrong reasons.

What's wrong with being a monster weekend player?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I tend to think that anyone who quits playing pool altogether because there is no money in it are playing for the wrong reasons.

Not a thing wrong with that. Matter of fact, it would be preferable to the pro who MUST cover expenses or he's actually lost...even finishing in the tournament money.

Play for the joy of the game...

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member

nothing wrong with it except it becomes incredibly hard to get a game. lets face it, if u're the best player in ur area, u're not getting a game unless u give up the nuts. the only other way to get a game would be to try somewhere else, but that adds costs and expenditures which pretty much put it back to the point where u have to treat it as a job.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Robbie Hudson from Georgia was getting to be upper pro speed and then just fell off the planet as far as pool goes. I have seen him play a time or two since he took so much time off but he was not playing as good as he used to. He was sure enough a world beater. I would like to see him get it back. Another that comes to mind is Jimmy Wales from Alabama. I don't know what either of them are up to now.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Whenever this topic comes up, I think of one person...Jon Kucharo. It truly saddens me that he never fully realized his greatness. He had the complete game, he just needed a little more hardening to break through to the top and become a household name. The way he chiseled up racks of bartable 8B was magical.

JonKucharo1small.jpg

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Whenever this topic comes up, I think of one person...Jon Kucharo. It truly saddens me that he never fully realized his greatness. He had the complete game, he just needed a little more hardening to break through to the top and become a household name. The way he chiseled up racks of bartable 8B was magical.

JonKucharo1small.jpg

He ruined himself though.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robbie Hudson from Georgia was getting to be upper pro speed and then just fell off the planet as far as pool goes. I have seen him play a time or two since he took so much time off but he was not playing as good as he used to. He was sure enough a world beater. I would like to see him get it back. Another that comes to mind is Jimmy Wales from Alabama. I don't know what either of them are up to now.

Robbie played Tony Watson getting the 8 at World Gym years ago and Tony hit a gear that I have never seen him hit. He drilled Tony and I never
saw Robbie the same. I also heard a few other things but I have not heard
what he is doing. I wonder about Kimber (sp?) as well. Their breakup might have hit him hard.
That World Gym table was the tightest table I ever saw and that night Tony made it look like 4.5 inch pockets.

Jimmy Wales was from Ga. Albany I am pretty sure. He had some demons grab him and he fought with that. Last I had heard he was trying to change and was living in Atlanta rehabbing. Never can tell with Jimmy though. Jimmy was a heck of a player in his late teens.

I was with Bruce Berrong one night and Jimmy gave Bruce the 8 playing 8ahead sets. Bruce won two sets in 45minutes. All the railbirds were commenting on how they were watching two players that would be top US pros down the road. Sadly that hasnt happened. Bruce was about 16-17 then if I am not mistaken.