Ok now that JB and Lou is dead , who's next

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You did a great job of getting publicity. Does China allow you to write off the lost money to Lou as advertising expense?
The IRS does. It isn't technically written off but is listed as an expense against earnings which impacts taxable income.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The IRS does. It isn't technically written off but is listed as an expense against earnings which impacts taxable income.

This is complicated. If it's classified as gambling, losses may only be written off to the extent they offset winnings, not against ordinary income. This would be for individuals who itemize deductions on a personal return. Unlike other types of losses, such as investment losses, gambling losses cannot be carried forward to offset future winnings.

However, John may be able to write off a "tournament entry fee" or "exhibition fund" as a business expense on his business return, including all of his travel expenses, if the primary purpose of the event was promotion and this is considered an ordinary and necessary expense of his business. The travel would be fine, I think, since he sells and displays cases wherever he goes. The entry fee, I assume would be a sticky item in an audit and could be disallowed if listed as such, since it's a) cash, b) not paid to an entity as most fees would be and c) I assume no 1099 was issued to the recipient. If a 1099 were issued, the write off would most likely be allowed, since taxes would be paid by the recipient.

Anyway, this is not tax advice. I am not a CPA or accountant, I have just done my own corporation accounting and taxes for 15 years. Business taxes can be very complicated.

Considering what occurred, classifying the $10,000 as a "charitable donation" is tempting but not advisable.:smile:

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This is complicated. If it's classified as gambling, losses may only be written off to the extent they offset winnings, not against ordinary income. This would be for individuals who itemize deductions on a personal return. Unlike other types of losses, such as investment losses, gambling losses cannot be carried forward to offset future winnings.

However, John may be able to write off a "tournament entry fee" or "exhibition fund" as a business expense on his business return, including all of his travel expenses, if the primary purpose of the event was promotion and this is considered an ordinary and necessary expense of his business. The travel would be fine, I think, since he sells and displays cases wherever he goes. The entry fee, I assume would be a sticky item in an audit and could be disallowed if listed as such, since it's a) cash, b) not paid to an entity as most fees would be and c) I assume no 1099 was issued to the recipient. If a 1099 were issued, the write off would most likely be allowed, since taxes would be paid by the recipient.

Anyway, this is not tax advice. I am not a CPA or accountant, I have just done my own corporation accounting and taxes for 15 years. Business taxes can be very complicated.

For my personal taxes gambling losses can be tallied against expenses and winnings if I decided to list them and of course have proof.

For my business though this can be classified as a marketing expense, i.e. publicity stunt.

I should send Lou a 1099. I will have to speak to my accountant about that. :)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
For my personal taxes gambling losses can be tallied against expenses and winnings if I decided to list them and of course have proof.

For my business though this can be classified as a marketing expense, i.e. publicity stunt.

I should send Lou a 1099. I will have to speak to my accountant about that. :)

Promotion and entertainment. And man, it was entertainment!!!

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, John Scudder here. I hope we get a chance to play some time and put the conversation behind us, or at least set it aside. Talk to you later.

Yea i've always had a good time with anyone I meet from AZ in person. I'm sure we would get along just fine.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Berg and Morra ,
Jm has been trying to match up but for some reason Berg has not accepted a rematch
It's not like the JB Lou match where a win by one side might be the biggest score one could have , these guys have several marque wins but I think this is a great grudge match

Who else fits this bill that we would like to see

Not dead.

Mark my words: he will return to feed again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vMwquLRAFk

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did the match end? Any rematch?

(Not cheching az that often, obviously)

Hey Roy, how they hanging'? (Cold I'd guess :)

I won the $10K match in NJ, 9-6. John came back recently and wanted to play for $20K but wanted me to travel to Oklahoma. I demurred and counter that I would play again for $10K in St. Louis, having traveled halfway across the country to play him the last time. He now says I'm scared to play. I say: meh.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Roy, I was called a two-bit coward years ago by Lou when he asked me to play for $20,000 and I said I wanted to play for $10,000.

Now the tables are turned and I want to play for 20k......

Or more.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Hey Roy, how they hanging'? (Cold I'd guess :)

I won the $10K match in NJ, 9-6. John came back recently and wanted to play for $20K but wanted me to travel to Oklahoma. I demurred and counter that I would play again for $10K in St. Louis, having traveled halfway across the country to play him the last time. He now says I'm scared to play. I say: meh.

Lou Figueroa

Nice win! Congrats :)

If he wants a rematch that much he should show it by doing exactly what you did, travel, that's just fair. I side with you on this one, as always 😄

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Nice win! Congrats :)

If he wants a rematch that much he should show it by doing exactly what you did, travel, that's just fair. I side with you on this one, as always 😄

Oh I am sorry, I traveled 3000 miles to play. The table we played on was the TYPE of table Lou played on EVERY DAY, I didn't play on the table until a few days before the event. Didn't realize that "traveling" was an issue.

You guys trip me out.

Fine I will go to St. Louis if we can play for $50,000. Since I have to travel.....

Lou just drove 8 hours to lose in a Midwest Tour one pocket race to 3 event.

Don't get me started.

Banks

Banned
Oh I am sorry, I traveled 3000 miles to play. The table we played on was the TYPE of table Lou played on EVERY DAY, I didn't play on the table until a few days before the event. Didn't realize that "traveling" was an issue.

You guys trip me out.

Fine I will go to St. Louis if we can play for $50,000. Since I have to travel.....

Lou just drove 8 hours to lose in a Midwest Tour one pocket race to 3 event.

Don't get me started.

You stipulated everything, so stop acting like you ever needed to agree on anything, cheater.

That Lou would drive elsewhere should let you know how he feels about dealing with you, even for a $20k freebie.