Can i put a pool table in my apartment?

Racecar

Registered
im getting ready to move in july and have planned on putting a 7 footer in my apartment.I have narrowed it down to 2 apartments and both have enough size to fit the table.The table is 3 piece slate and weighs about 650 approx.One apartment has carpeting and the other is hardwood,in which case i would purchase a rug.
My main and really only concern is how loud is it?I wont be having any parties or anything and just to play on the weekend or when im not working.I dont really want to ask the landlord because im sure they wont like it,but if i just put it in there and no 1 complains he would never know anyway.
Should i buy it and hope for the best,can the neighbors be that disturbed by the noise?any suggestions would be helpfull,thanks.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Noise ordinace laws typically run from what? 8 am to 10 pm? I think you absolutely can work within the ordinances and neighbor considerations. I recommend an opening party and engraciate you to them. You could be the new top cock on the walk! Best of luck!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The weight is not a problem.

The weight of the table is distributed over a large area and well within the live load the floor is intended to support.

I would just be sure to keep it quiet after hours. If I want to practice while my wife is sleeping, I practice my safety play.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Have you inquired of the apartment managers for the two places?

Maybe the table is not even allowed, no matter how quiet or infrequently you play. If you do inquire and are given a green light to install, it could help you if complaints are made.

I also would get the okay in writing before I move in....

Will Prout

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Apartment

I think it will depend on the type of apartment. In my first apartment I couldn't fit a pool table (still can't) so my roommate and I got a foosball table. We never thought about the noise until our upstairs neighbor complained. After talking to management we agreed to abide by the county noise ordinance which was 10:00 sun-thurs and 11:00 on weekends. No complaints after that. I've never put a foosball table and pool table side by side to compare volume but I would think the pool table would be louder. Read the lease very carefully before you do anything because there could be an eviction clause which could leave you living underneath the table.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. I think I would pity the people above you or below you in the apartments. JMO.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
I work at a few different apartment properties and I have a resident with a table in their living room. I'm not sure how much they play but I haven't gotten a complaint on them so far. Which surprises me cuz most apartments have pretty thin walls. I'm sure being in not such a great neighborhood where the neighbors are either used to worse or have better things to worry about is a big reason as well. Either way with my experience I wouldn't do it... I mean, I've been tempted... and I would love having a table at home but it just seems like too much trouble. Plus I would rather have my home theatre in my living room...

If you do decide to go through with it... Definitely talk to the management about it. Lucky is right, if you do end up getting complaints and making managemen's job difficult, bad things can happen to you. Especially if you expect them to do maintenance to your apartment periodically.

Oh, and definitely get a ground floor apartment :grin-square:

Good Luck!

Racecar

Registered
i would get drop pockets to reduce the sound of the ball return,the reason i dont want to ask is because if the tell me no,theres no chance of seeing if anyone around me even cares or can hear it.The break would obviously be the loudest,but after that is it really unbearable?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be a real mistake to not find out first.

If there are questions about the noise, ask if there are restrictions on cooking fish in this joint!

Racecar

Registered
i think im just gonna go for it,maybe i request an apartment on the first floor with no one above me.Then if someone moves upstairs and complains ill just say look i was here first bittch get used to it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think im just gonna go for it,maybe i request an apartment on the first floor with no one above me.Then if someone moves upstairs and complains ill just say look i was here first bittch get used to it.
bad decision. find out or risk being out some or all of the following:
security deposit, table price, storage cost for table

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Why don't you put one of these in your garage? :)

Attachments

• 801501p.jpg
    801501p.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7,398

Racecar

Registered
looks good slim,i mean i just cant imagine someone blowing a gasket.If people are sitting in their living room above me,the distance between the table,through the ceiling then up to them most likely with their tv on should no be unbearable.Even if they hear a break every 10 minutes or so its basically a one second sound.
I actually have an 8ft in my basement.If i sit in my room there is a vent leading down there.With my tv on i hear the break but thats about it,and it in no way bothers me and i would never complain if that was all the noise.But maybe thats because i love pool or it just takes alot for me to complain.

Racecar

Registered
bad decision. find out or risk being out some or all of the following:
security deposit, table price, storage cost for table

ya i was kinda being sarcastic.But seriously what if i ask the landlord,they say no,then i go upstairs ask the neighbors,they say it wont bother them,or vice versa.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ya i was kinda being sarcastic.But seriously what if i ask the landlord,they say no,then i go upstairs ask the neighbors,they say it wont bother them,or vice versa.

Asking the neighbors is as useless as asking azb!

Only the landlords input matters...and guaranteed his lawyer ok'd the contract and has potential Jedi moves on reserve too.

Do your homework and set things up right

thekaiserman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always ask forgiveness rather than permission.
That being said, it is a table, a table is furniture, furniture is allowed in a residence. get a soft dinning cover, and it can double as a dinning table.
Drop pockets are a great idea, they are very quiet. I don't think it will be an issue unless you make it one by asking for permission.