I'd like to know your thoughts on Viking Cues

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I've posted a few threads about Vikings lately, and received no comments whatsoever. So please tell me your thoughts on the matter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've posted a few threads about Vikings lately, and received no comments whatsoever. So please tell me your thoughts on the matter.
I've never owned one, but have seen many. They all seemed like pretty good quality production cues. I'm only talking about construction and looks - I don't believe in "playability".

pj
chgo

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
I don't care for the majority of designs.

IMHO, the 'pearl' plastic makes them look cheap.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm not too keen on many of the designs either, but I've played with a couple of the older cues and they seemed just fine. The felt weight was toward the butt, if I recall. :smile:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I own one

I bought a Viking cue in Oct. 2010. Itsa black & white (Ebony & Maple) with a linen wrap. Just about the time I bought it; they were going out of business. I broke the cue in ,... put an everest medium tip on it and hadda blast with it in league play. I was a little dissapointed they no longer were gonna be in business, but then they opened back up! No bells, no whistles, quality made and made in the USA. Works for me. :smile:
I can leave the cue and not worry about it getting stolen, it drops to the floor, I pick it up inspect it and play. All the way around, they make a decent cue. I DO think some of their higher priced cues are a bit overpriced.

I also heard that Viking is now trying what Schon does/did by making custom cues in batch order,..... ie: 1 of 100 style. Since you are a dealer is this true ?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
someone posted a viking "a" joint on here years ago. they're not very well made if they're still using that construction technique. they would play ok if they didn't use such a monsterously long taper. they're made for new players that just like to be able to move the cue ball around. that's my opinoin anyway. they designs are pretty cool though

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Tried them in the 80s, did not like the feel at the time. The rest is taste, to each their own. As I remember them, they seemed stiff, but not in a good way and with little feel.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used an older Viking that a friend of mine has... I'm not a huge fan of the newer cues but the old ones from the 80s were rock solid! Great hit.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Thier new breaker hits decent. I didn't mind it once you take out the middle piece in the butt.

best,

justin

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
There's no shot you can't play with a Viking.

I can't say the same about a lot of the cheaper production cues especially players and cuetec.

I found the taper to be much more robust than the cue it replaced.

I use a McDermott with a LD shaft now as a player and my Viking is relegated to break cue status. I noticed that the original shaft on the McDermott was a lot whippier than the Viking.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
In 2013, all Viking models $249 and up will come with the new LD shaft.

The ViKORE® American Performance Shaft features advanced
low deflection and enhanced power from our reactive ViKORE®
center. What does this mean? Enhanced feel and low vibration. Every
ViKORE® shaftis designed to help players take their game to the
next level. And players around the country agree that these shafts
will help you hit the ball straighter so that you pocket more shots.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have a Viking that my wife bought me for my birthday about 25 years ago, I take it out once in a while. The thing still rolls dead straight and hits great. I've moved on to other what I believe to be higher level cues. Not only for sentimental reasons I'll never get rid of this one. It's unique, it plays great and it's in pristine condition.

Last edited:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first 'real' cue was a viking. They hit great. The taper is awesome. The designs can be a little over the top but as a whole I like them. I would buy another if I didn't already have so many cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Viking?

Decent cue historically.

I really love some of the old ones. A legendary maker with real history in the industry.

The new ones? I have no idea about them, haven't touched one. Haven't heard much about them either.

How much of the new Viking is the same as the old Viking? I honestly don't know.

In order to remain competitive they began importing a line of cues. What is the difference between those and the US made Vikings other than the obvious difference in origin? I don't know.

Viking, JOSS, McDermott, Meucci, Mali, Huebler, etc are all legendary companies that were/are principally individual and/or family owned and run businesses. Viking is no longer that. How much of the tradition remains? I believe the company was shut down for more than a year. Are they again what they once were? I don't know.

For me, there are simply a lot of questions, and glossy marketing and advertising do not answer those questions at all.

I may have something more to contribute when I actually play with one of the new cues. But I have no plans to buy one so it is hard to say when that might be.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I bought a Viking cue in Oct. 2010. Itsa black & white (Ebony & Maple) with a linen wrap. Just about the time I bought it; they were going out of business. I broke the cue in ,... put an everest medium tip on it and hadda blast with it in league play. I was a little dissapointed they no longer were gonna be in business, but then they opened back up! No bells, no whistles, quality made and made in the USA. Works for me. :smile:
I can leave the cue and not worry about it getting stolen, it drops to the floor, I pick it up inspect it and play. All the way around, they make a decent cue. I DO think some of their higher priced cues are a bit overpriced.

I also heard that Viking is now trying what Schon does/did by making custom cues in batch order,..... ie: 1 of 100 style. Since you are a dealer is this true ?
Coyote_Trickster_4f6cb95b09e4e.jpg

This is a Viking Grand Elite Cue, only 100 were made, designed by Anthony 'Two Feather'.

Highly Figured Birdseye Maple Forearm, West African Ebony Butt, 6 West African Ebony Points, Genuine Ivory Ring on Sleeve

This is one of the lower priced Elites, MSRP $695

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MFB...I'm with ya on the "designs" thing. That said, Palmer was an early adopter (along with Paradise) of those "pearlized plastic" rings, and they were quite successful with them. Viking has been around for 50 years...most of their cues are pretty solid. They still have the coolest looking sneaky pete, imo, ever made!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I don't care for the majority of designs.

IMHO, the 'pearl' plastic makes them look cheap.

Last edited: