TAR 39 The Last Waltz

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It sucks that we lose a pool video provider, but speaking as an outsider; i have never really understood TAR's mission. Pretty much every match is a SVB match. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, but unless TAR was created to further SVB's career, it seems that such a "one trick pony" approach was destined to fail.
The quality of the production was high and some insight into the players mind, equipment etc. was brilliant ideas, it should just have been more focus on pool and less on just that one player.
The SVBhype is something i have never understood. Great player for sure, but nothing really special compared to the other top players.

Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, too, have an opinion. And I, too, expressed it civilly.

In a thread celebrating (and mourning, I suppose) the end of a great production, there was no need to try and stir up shit. Thus my opinion that the comment was in poor form.

Yes, it is an open forum, and yes, people are free to post their opinions. Even if it is an inappropriate time and place, and even if it is in poor form.

Must everything be a crapfest?

Yes you did. i guess it's me-It just seemed very tame and hardly worth commenting on. That's my opinion and i am 100% correct.

Haha just kidding-to each his own.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yes you did. i guess it's me-It just seemed very tame and hardly worth commenting on. That's my opinion and i am 100% correct.

Haha just kidding-to each his own.

You can't be correct if I'm correct, or can you? Or can I? Gosh, I hope someone is correct :grin:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since he is nothing special compared to other top players can you make me a list of people that will play him a high dollar set of 10 ball or 1 pocket or 8 ball?

I am having trouble finding anyone willing to play him so your help would be appreciated.

We can play on either 9' tables or on a Diamond Bar Box. I might even be talked into staking him on a 10' table also.

I haven't went through all of the TAR matches but I am pretty sure that Shane didn't even play in half of them. One reason that TAR liked to use him in a lot of their matches was because he always showed up, acted like a professional, and played great. That is probably why he also had the biggest draws for them.

I think everyone is missing the point of Kim's post.

While Strawberry Ice Cream is my favorite, sometimes I like a little chocolate.:rolleyes:

Shane is professional, likeable, but I too, got tired of only seeing him. IMO, Shane was TAR bread and butter.

IMO the biggest draws are or would be Efren playing anyone and Keith playing someone from his era. But this was Justin's business and I think we all made suggestions and I think Justin listened, and then he used his best judgment.

As I noted earlier, I never thought or understood how TAR was going to make money, but I assumed the guys knew better than I did.

Ken

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think everyone is missing the point of Kim's post.

While Strawberry Ice Cream is my favorite, sometimes I like a little chocolate.:rolleyes:

Shane is professional, likeable, but I too, got tired of only seeing him. IMO, Shane was TAR bread and butter.

IMO the biggest draws are or would be Efren playing anyone and Keith playing someone from his era. But this was Justin's business and I think we all made suggestions and I think Justin listened, and then he used his best judgment.

As I noted earlier, I never thought or understood how TAR was going to make money, but I assumed the guys knew better than I did.

Ken

Thanks Ken, that`s exactly what i meant.
I have nothing against Shane Van Boening, but he is far from the only gifted pro player.
If people would have bothered to read, thy would see that i think it sucks that TAR is closing down and i appreciate the work that has gone in to the production, wich i also said was of very high quality.
I also stated that i view this as an outsider and have really no idea of the inner workings of the American pro circut.
That is also why i wondered about TAR and their connection with Shane Van Boening.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have nothing against Shane Van Boening, but he is far from the only gifted pro player.
If people would have bothered to read, thy would see that i think it sucks that TAR is closing down and i appreciate the work that has gone in to the production, wich i also said was of very high quality.
I also stated that i view this as an outsider and have really no idea of the inner workings of the American pro circut.
That is also why i wondered about TAR and their connection with Shane Van Boening.

Justin, Chad(R.I.P), and Shane were good friends before TAR was created. Shane did play in a lot of the TAR matches, but you also were able to see many of the top players, whether they were playing Shane or someone else.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Last Dance

Date: Feb 9th, 2014
Time:9:02Am
Destination: Las Vegas NV, Landing 12:30PM

At moments like this I'm generally ready for lift off and knowing that I'm in for a good week time in "Sin City" and some top flight pool at the TAR studio. Instead I'm in a somber mood like I'm in transit to friends funeral. I'm glad I could make it down for the last dance. It was a good run. It ends as it should with the most loved vs. the new one. TAR and SVB are intertwined. He grew up and became the monster all documented by Justin and in the early days by Nasty. I think both of them have a lot to do with the Shane we know today.

I remember the first time I went down and saw Shane play. WOW. You could see the intensity as the vein in the side of his head went to DEFCON 2. He wasn't scared to lose he was just driven to win. You go back through all the matches and people and it's impressive. In no particular order: SVB, Cory, Alex, Efren, Busty, Archer, John S, DH, Hatch, MD, Jayson S, Dennis O, Efren, Efren, Efren. DCC Action, Grady, Billy, Cotton, JJ, Jay, Ken S and others.

Alex vs Shane Trilogy is better than Star Wars.

Many thx to Justin, Nasty (RIP), The Crew and a Big thank you to Mark G who I'm sure wrote his share of checks.

They are calling my flight. One Rental Car. Two Bottles of Makers Mark at the liquor store. Check in at another hotel....and I walk into Pool Mecca.

Maybe I'll steal a door nob as a momento. PS if anyone want to play I'm available until Thursday night. Just PM me.

Nick

Last edited:

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tar

TAR was and is great. TAR was a couple of guys in the pool world realizing a dream. TAR is a great success.

The measure of TAR is not whether it made money, that was always secondary to the dream. They were pioneers. What they did will live on.

Also, there are very few people who help to make the pool world better, especially when it involves hard work over a period of years. These guys did that.

Others will follow and build on what TAR accomplished.

Time for Justin to move on, that's all. Thank you.

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

SVB is number one. When you sell a product, people want to see number one. SVB wasn't in all the TAR matches but when he was he brought us a great product. If you wanted to see someone else you should have said something and made it happen with everyones schedules.

Hes number 1
Hes easily accessible to TAR
People want to watch him play
He wanted to match up.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks that we lose a pool video provider, but speaking as an outsider; i have never really understood TAR's mission. Pretty much every match is a SVB match. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, but unless TAR was created to further SVB's career, it seems that such a "one trick pony" approach was destined to fail.
The quality of the production was high and some insight into the players mind, equipment etc. was brilliant ideas, it should just have been more focus on pool and less on just that one player.
The SVBhype is something i have never understood. Great player for sure, but nothing really special compared to the other top players.

It's been said plenty of times, the reason Shane is in so many TAR matches is that people want to see him and he is available to play during the schedule of the other players that may want to play.

Many have posted "TAR should do this and that" but at the end, this and that won't bring in the watchers and scheduling people to travel from thousands of miles away is a bit tricky, time and money wise.

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to miss TAR for sure ! I was at the first one and never had a chance to make it to another. Please provide your music playlists. Great pool playing music ! I really enjoyed your background music ! Thanks Jusitn !

jmelvin23

Registered
Passing the Torch

I watched all 3 nights of TAR 39 - not what I was hoping for, but to me it represents a passing of the torch. Shane dominated Efren, even though I feel that Efren was probably exhausted from a nonstop whirlwind that started with Earl in NY over 2 weeks ago. No excuses though - SVB is a monster and I congratulate him, but I'll sure miss those magical matches that Efren gave us over the years. Kudos again to Justin and TAR.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
There were some good stories from both Justin and Robert in the booth tonight. Kind of reinforced the idea that this match and tonight in particular was more than just the game being played on the table. I was cracking up when Cotton told the story of the guy who chopped some guy's hand off with a machete .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to miss TAR for sure ! I was at the first one and never had a chance to make it to another. Please provide your music playlists. Great pool playing music ! I really enjoyed your background music ! Thanks Jusitn !

I'm going to miss it too. I appreciate the efforts that these guys put in to try to make it work. I wonder if viewership would have been better if some of these matches were during weekdays. I know that a lot of people have things going on Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes it was hard to fit it into my schedule.

Bankit

Registered
So Long

Thanks for some great times. Going to miss the whole crew and all the great match ups to be held in the future. You have done a great service to the pool world and made many people happy. Thank you.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
So long and good luck to Justin and the TAR crew. I've never bought a match myself, but have gotten the chance to see a bunch of stuff filmed by them. I guess that makes me part of the problem. Though there are leagues that are doing well, it seems to me that it's extremely hard to make a living at the 'high end' of pool. The target market just isn't big enough. I respect their efforts to try, and wish them all the luck in the future.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
TAR doesn't put up their financials for everyone to look over, so you just have to take Justin's word for it:
From what he's said, matches that featured Shane outsold matches that did not.
Probably almost every time.

People have said "I'm sick of seeing shane, try something else" and when they tried something else,
they got fewer streams purchased. And if your streams are already barely breaking even,
you can't really afford to reduce your profit just to humor people who are sick of Shane.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LONG LIVE TAR!!!!!!!!

Most didn't understand what they did but MANY others did. I miss what TAR did for pool.

I hope Justin will eventually upload the rest of the matches to the site.

Times have changed but TAR will live forever for many of us!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LONG LIVE TAR!!!!!!!!

Most didn't understand what they did but MANY others did. I miss what TAR did for pool.

I hope Justin will eventually upload the rest of the matches to the site.

Times have changed but TAR will live forever for many of us!

Old thread but I agree TAR needs to upload more videos, and should be in the hall of fame along with AccuStats for service done for the game.

I don't consider people "pool fans" unless they have watched the Earl vs Efren race to 120 and SVB vs Duel race to 100.