I heard a theory about how to make masters chalk more like kamui

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to an old timer (he's in his 70's) about chalk and how I find it hard to swallow paying $30 for a single piece of Kamui when I can buy a box of Masters for 5 or 6 bucks...He told me that if you want Masters to "paste" on like the Kamui that all you have to do is put a single drop of water on the Masters and let it soak in over night...He said this is a trick that they used back in his day...Is there any truth to this? Has anyone here ever tried it? I figure for the cost the experiment might be worth while...

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to an old timer (he's in his 70's) about chalk and how I find it hard to swallow paying $30 for a single piece of Kamui when I can buy a box of Masters for 5 or 6 bucks...He told me that if you want Masters to "paste" on like the Kamui that all you have to do is put a single drop of water on the Masters ans let it soak in over night...He said this is a trick that they used back in his day...Is there any truth to this? Has anyone here ever tried it? I figure for the cost the experiment might be worth while...

Not to be confused with "spitting in the chalk". :)

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to be confused with "spitting in the chalk". :)

Oh I know for sure that doesn't make masters paste on like Kamui LOL...I had a buddy that thought spitting in the chalk while you weren't looking was the funniest thing ever...I was glad when he grew out of that little prankster phase....

Spitting in or wetting chalk ruins it. It's an old hustlers trick. That's why you keep your chalk with you when you play in pool halls.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spitting in or wetting chalk ruins it. It's an old hustlers trick. That's why you keep your chalk with you when you play in pool halls.

You are probably right but for the cost of a cube of Masters I figure its worth a shot. The old man did seem pretty adamant that it works...I just put my single drop of water into a brand new cube and I have it sitting on my counter to soak in over night. I will give a report on my findings as soon as I try it out...

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The differences between the two chalks is well more than just moisture content.

I agree 100% but to me if I can make Masters play anywhere close to Kamui then its well worth it...

This experiment may be a total waste of chalk but on the off chance that it works it could be worth while..

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I predict initial success...then by the end of a day or two, the chalk will crumble, as it dries out with the silica separated from other ingredients washed down by the water you added. I've had cubes of Masters get (accidentally) wet, then dry out. It was never a good effect.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Not water, mineral spirits.

Take a new cube, fill the little divot with mineral spirits (no more, no less), & let soak over the weekend.

Don't substitute traditional turpentine (pinene) as it is flammable & toxic. Look for "odorless" to avoid the kerosene-like smell.

The solvent properties of MO will displace leather oils that cause miscues...that's the secret.

MO + Masters >> Kamui

Mad_scientist.gif

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've come to the conclusion that proper and very gentle "fluffing", not drastic scuffing and leather removal from the tip, makes pre or post flag Master and Blue Diamond thoroughly and completely cover the entire tip's surface.

If you, as I, chalk before each shot, all this tomfoolery is merely just that. Once it's not glazed over and it's totally blue, you simply cannot make it any bluer or more highly coated, or more miscue resistant.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
My experience is that 100% of the time when I miscue, I could sort of feel it coming.
I felt like I was cueing in the danger zone and I really shouldn't try to get so extreme with the spin.
Then when I miscue I yell at myself like... "see dummy? why don't you ever learn?!"

Ever watch Mike D. chalk? He actually looks at the tip every time. That's the way to do it.
Just visually confirm it's coated.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you, as I, chalk before each shot, all this tomfoolery is merely just that. Once it's not glazed over and it's totally blue, you simply cannot make it any bluer or more highly coated, or more miscue resistant.

This is absolutely true...I was just intrigued by the possibility of improving the cheap chalk that I use. I do chalk before every shot and Masters has served me well. I guess I should go by the old rule "if it ain't broke don't fix it" .....

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Let's recap to ensure I have this all sorted out...you carefully fluff your tip until its completely glazed over & blue...then have Mike D. visually confirm its fully coated. Interesting technique. Anyone want to try that out & report back?

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's recap to ensure I have this all sorted out...you carefully fluff your tip until its completely blue & have Mike D. visually confirm its fully coated. Interesting technique. Anyone want to try that out & report back?

No!!!!!....because you'd have to rechalk and wait 30 seconds while he inspected it at least twice before he'd be happy with the consistency of the chalk job before each shot...each game would take 20-30 min even if you broke and ran!...

Not to cap on Mike D...He's one hell of a player! He could spot me the world and still rob me...

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I'll give this a shot....

The paste factor comes from titanium dioxide but there are quite a few more differences... tomfoolery isn't on the list tho....

Ever wonder why you misscue right after you chalk? Lower quality chalk is not as uniform in the size and distribution of the abrasives.. You may just be rubbing blue filler on your tip with very little grit. It's blue and covered so it should be good to go, right?. umm not always....

With the newer chalks on the market the chances of that happening go down..The chances aren't very high to start with but it explains the out of the blue misscue even when you are devoted to chalking in your PSR every shot and you know you didn't make a bad stroke.........

Chris

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
BTW, if anyone wants to experiment with a cube of the "MO-Masters" chalk, send $13.99 plus $2.25 s&h. Half the price of Kamui...no muss, no fuss!

You can double your order for just $8.99 more...plus $2.25 s&h of course.

attachment.php

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tip of the day........................

If you play with milk duds.....use 2%