Your Biggest Pool Room Distraction?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I had pretty much armored myself from virtually every pool room distraction -- from training myself to stand up and wait while the oblivious houseman walks in front of my shot, to pausing and responding politely to the barmaid who leans over, exposes her cleavage to me, and whispers in my ear, "Can I get you anything else?" to the opponent who talks to all the rail birds while I'm shooting.

But now, I have discovered a new one that can completely destroy my concentration.

I'm at the pool room and, as I am located in Cardinal Nation, the game is on the big screen TV. We're playing the Mets. I am trying to practice for a tournament next week up in Chicago. I'm down on a long thin cut down the rail and Joe Buck, the Cardinal's broadcaster, whom I can normally ignore, pierces my brain, "Figueroa winds up and it's a strike." I hit rubber.

I get back down on a tricky back cut I've been working on and Buck intones, "Figueroa was just recently called up from the minors." I jaw the ball.

So I decide to work on my banks. And Buck puts one right down the middle of my central cortex, "Figueroa puts one in tight and hits Pujols!"

I was done and I knew it. I unscrewed, ordered a beer, and watched the rest of the game.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I thought I had pretty much armored myself from virtually every pool room distraction -- from training myself to stand up and wait while the oblivious houseman walks in front of my shot, to pausing and responding politely to the barmaid who leans over, exposes her cleavage to me, and whispers in my ear, "Can I get you anything else?" to the opponent who talks to all the rail birds while I'm shooting.

But now, I have discovered a new one that can completely destroy my concentration.

I'm at the pool room and, as I am located in Cardinal Nation, the game is on the big screen TV. We're playing the Mets. I am trying to practice for a tournament next week up in Chicago. I'm down on a long thin cut down the rail and Joe Buck, the Cardinal broadcaster, whom I can normally ignore, pierces my brain, "Figueroa winds up and it's a strike." I hit hit rubber.

I get back down on a tricky back cut I've been working on and Buck intones, "Figueroa was just recently called up from the minors." I jaw the ball.

So I decide to work on my banks. And Buck puts one right down the middle of my central cortex, "Figueroa puts one in tight and hits Pujois!"

I was done and I knew it. I unscrewed, ordered a beer, and watched the rest of the game.

Lou Figueroa

I think crawfish would have jumped in his car, and driven as far as he needed to, to stab this "Buck" fellow...and I think that's the right thing to do.

The distraction that bothers me the most is when a 10 year old kid grabs the 2 ball off my table, and runs away with it....especially when I was about to shoot that 2 ball. :mad:

(It happened to me last night, and I still haven't gotten over it.)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
When you're brought up from 12 yo playing bumper pool, Q-Ball, Shuffle Ball, and Pool...not much distracts you. Blatant sharking after being told once to stop it would get a cue butt in the teeth in my younger days. Johnnyt

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A side from the obvious "coctail waitress" I can't stand when I am at the table and my opponent insists on grabbing the chalk of the table and chalking his/her cue. When this happens I normally stop and tell them they will not be needing that untill next game, if they are lucky!!

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A side from the obvious "coctail waitress" I can't stand when I am at the table and my opponent insists on grabbing the chalk of the table and chalking his/her cue. When this happens I normally stop and tell them they will not be needing that untill next game, if they are lucky!!

This^. There are couple of kids that play in a local tourney every week who will do this every time. I really love it when they get the chalk sqeaking on their tip right as I'm about to shoot.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
This doesn't happen often, but here's a list:

1. Your opponent dropped dead while you are shooting.
2. A car bomb exploding during your match.
3. Your standard argument between two morons about some obsure rule, like, if it's Tuesday and raining, you can shoot the 9 ball out of turn if it's in the pocket.
4. My worst, is when your opponent passes gas as he misses a shot, says nothing and allows you to walk into his "cloud". (I guess I could be guilty of that as well)

Exile

that definatly rolled....
Silver Member
For me its the 2 blonde pin heads talking about "Big f*****g Brother" and 'like oh my god, did you see the state of her', 'she's a proper minger'....blah...blah...blah... don't you have something better to be doing with that mouth!

They have no intention to play, cant shoot and are only in there skanking after some overly tattooed equally Neanderthal looking specimen that just escaped from the zoo.

Piss off, find a bottle of £2.99 "château de sh*te" wine and worry about the split condom tomorrow.

Pool players only please!

rant over....

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
The biggest distraction ever is when your playing an APA match. The Best player on the

opposing team is talking to your opponent, pointing to the table, moving there arm back

and forth while talking very loudly, just inches from the table. They always seem to pick

your line of sight to stand and do this "Sharking"!!! If you cheat to win, that's not really

a win, is it??

I truely believe that they do this on purpose.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back when smoking was allowed in pool rooms one of my friends who smoked had an amusing way to counter someone when they started sharking him while he was shooting.

When it was no longer his turn he would start blowing well-timed very accurate smoke rings while his opponent was at the table. The smoke rings would start out vertical as they were blown towards the table and then just before his opponent was about to shoot the smoke rings would either: (a) rotate 90 deg. to horizontal and settle around the cue ball, or (b) rotate the proper amount and settle around his opponent's head.

And, since he wasn't inhaling and only holding the smoke in his mouth, he could rapid fire them all he wanted if need be. So, there were often sets of double or triple smoke rings in the air headed back-to-back that would land in the same spot a couple of seconds apart.

Once his opponent got irritated and broke down and spoke to him, he would say something like, "Hey, you're the one who started this by doing crap while I was shooting. If you quit your crap, so will I."

Always good for a great laugh to watch the look of incredulity on the faces of people who didn't know him as the first smoke ring or two settled around their cue ball as they were about to shoot.

Last edited:

blah blah

Shoebat

I'm at the pool room and, as I am located in Cardinal Nation, the game is on the big screen TV. We're playing the Mets. I am trying to practice for a tournament next week up in Chicago. I'm down on a long thin cut down the rail and Joe Buck, the Cardinal broadcaster, whom I can normally ignore, pierces my brain, "Figueroa winds up and it's a strike." I hit hit rubber.

So I decide to work on my banks. And Buck puts one right down the middle of my central cortex, "Figueroa puts one in tight and hits Pujols!"

Lou Figueroa

I read your whole post- very funny.

It just goes to show that if it's not one thing, it's just going to be another, right?

Concentration and focus are ALWAYS going to be an issue. But dealing with it, moving on, and remembering how important and desirable each shot as you go helps make you stronger.

I hope.

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
This doesn't happen often, but here's a list:

1. Your opponent dropped dead while you are shooting.
2. A car bomb exploding during your match.
3. Your standard argument between two morons about some obsure rule, like, if it's Tuesday and raining, you can shoot the 9 ball out of turn if it's in the pocket.
4. My worst, is when your opponent passes gas as he misses a shot, says nothing and allows you to walk into his "cloud". (I guess I could be guilty of that as well)

I saw a guy's pacemaker go off during a match, and his loud shriek as he fell to the floor was pretty distracting. He didn't die, but came very very close. The only car bombs I've ever had to fade were of the Irish variety, and a few of those will definately effect my game.

aj6788

Wow, I played in this small tournament and there was this kid playing my friend. And the kid had no common pool courtesy.. When I ended up playing him, I pulled him aside and taught him quickly and in a very sturn way, the manners of pool IMO... He was quiet the whole time, just racking for me, I told him I will be the only one to say it all nice, and I'm only going to do it once so he better listen :-D

I think the biggest thing that gets to me is if people don't sit down.. If they don't sit down, they end up catching my eye by moving their hand in and out of their pockets, scratching their hand.. Something stupid that I shouldn't pay attention too!!

Last edited:

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Distractions...

Railtards who can't "sweat" a match without severely critiquing both players games even though they don't have a dollar bet on the match and the simple fact that the same "audience" wouldn't bet water is wet when asked for some action!!! :angry:

Yeah, I know as 'Vette says..."NEVER PROVOKE RAILTARDS"...I'll work on that! :thumbup:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I was in a room one night, playing some one pocket. Just as I was getting down on a shot, a very loud "CRACK" sound came from the bar, followed by a scream. Some moron at the bar had a gun in his pocket, and it went off, sending a shot into his girlfriend's foot.

Needless to say, the OP game ended right then!

Steve

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
LOl!

I was in a room one night, playing some one pocket. Just as I was getting down on a shot, a very loud "CRACK" sound came from the bar, followed by a scream. Some moron at the bar had a gun in his pocket, and it went off, sending a shot into his girlfriend's foot.

Needless to say, the OP game ended right then!

Steve

Those gun totin' hustlers will getcha everytime! LOL
Anything for a good shark!!! :)