Good System for Backcutting Balls?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Does anyone have a good aiming system for backcutting balls?

I've noticed lately that I've been missing an usually high number of backcut balls, even when the backcut isn't that severe.

My general aiming "system" is essentially to look at the bottom of the object ball for closer shots, and to look at the back of object ball for longer shots.

But for backcutting balls, I guess that I can't find a good way to aim to be able to consistently pocket the ball.

Any good systems or ideas for this? Maybe using a specific type of english helps?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've noticed lately that I've been missing an usually high number of backcut balls, even when the backcut isn't that severe.

My general aiming "system" is essentially to look at the bottom of the object ball for closer shots, and to look at the back of object ball for longer shots.

But for backcutting balls, I guess that I can't find a good way to aim to be able to consistently pocket the ball.

Any good systems or ideas for this? Maybe using a specific type of english helps?

I know this is going to come off as flippant but it is not meant to be:

The "system" is a good PSR and a repeatable stroke.

Without those, no system in the world will help. But if you have those to begin with, you won't need a system in the first place.

Lou Figueroa

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Without those, no system in the world will help. But if you have those to begin with, you won't need a system in the first place.

Lou Figueroa

I agree with Lou. I once watched SVB set up the same shot for about an hour and kept shooting it until he didn't miss. I'm assuming it was a shot that gave him problems. If you are having an issue with certain shots set them up until you are comfortable pocketing them. The trick is that you have to use a quality stroke If the stroke was good, tip at same level or lower where you hitting the cue ball, it isn't left or right, and the backhand grip is loose and you struck the object ball where you were aiming, then you need to re adjust the aim until you "see" it or make it consistently.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always imagined an imaginary rail behind the object ball like I was just shooting a normal rail shot. Works for me.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

I got over the fear of back cuts by starting with the balls parallel and about 1/2 diamond out and two diamonds apart at the 3rd and 5th diamonds. Shoot that into the corner until you can make it 8 of 10 and then move the CB 1/2 over toward the rail for a slight back cut. Again shoot that until you can make it 8 out of 10. Then move the CB to the rail. Same drill. Once you can do that, move the balls out to 1 diamond off the side rail parallel and the same drill. Move the CB toward the side rail 1 ball width at a time until you start having trouble then move it back to where you had success. Then move everything 1.5 diamonds out, then 2 diamonds out, etc. I think the only way you become confident with back cuts is to make hundreds and eventually, you will become proficient. I do not believe there is a shortcut.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Get a copy of Poolology online for $10. It works great for back cuts. Do a search in AZ if you want more info. It will increase your pocketing percentage very quickly until eventually you'll just start seeing them.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I've been using the side of the ferrule for many years. I find it an excellent method.

You can use this method with any English, and no further adjustments or compensation is needed. I like to think of this as an alignment method rather than an aiming method.

Anyway, try this on shots where the CB and OB are close, say a foot or less, and very thin hits. If you always hit the shot too thick, try shooting it firmly with inside English.

While the CB spin, regardless of inside or outside on paper thin cuts have practically no effect on throwing the OB one way or the other, that firm hit with inside English will squirt the CB away from the OB, and that will result in hitting the OB thinner. It's something to experiment with.

JC

Coos Cues
Learn to recognize a half ball angle upon sight. They occur all over the table over and over again both back and front cutting balls. Using this as a base line you can look at many cut shots and recognize they are either a half ball hit or that they are shallow or wide there of incrementally. With practice you will recognize this angle with great precision and it's a powerful tool for aiming.

JC

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Learn to recognize a half ball angle upon sight. They occur all over the table over and over again both back and front cutting balls. Using this as a base line you can look at many cut shots and recognize they are either a half ball hit or that they are shallow or wide there of incrementally. With practice you will recognize this angle with great precision and it's a powerful tool for aiming.

JC

My thoughts exactly.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Well yeah. That's a given. But I'm having trouble aiming at backcut shots. I just can't see the contact point as naturally as all other shots.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I've always imagined an imaginary rail behind the object ball like I was just shooting a normal rail shot. Works for me.

I'm really having trouble visualizing where this phantom rail would be. Behind the object ball? Hmmmm.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I got over the fear of back cuts by starting with the balls parallel and about 1/2 diamond out and two diamonds apart at the 3rd and 5th diamonds. Shoot that into the corner until you can make it 8 of 10 and then move the CB 1/2 over toward the rail for a slight back cut. Again shoot that until you can make it 8 out of 10. Then move the CB to the rail. Same drill. Once you can do that, move the balls out to 1 diamond off the side rail parallel and the same drill. Move the CB toward the side rail 1 ball width at a time until you start having trouble then move it back to where you had success. Then move everything 1.5 diamonds out, then 2 diamonds out, etc. I think the only way you become confident with back cuts is to make hundreds and eventually, you will become proficient. I do not believe there is a shortcut.

Yeah, I guess I should just practice shooting all types of backcuts over and over. But even when I practice them, when they come up in a match, I'm never really sure of the contact point because visually I'm having a hard time seeing it.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Get a copy of Poolology online for $10. It works great for back cuts. Do a search in AZ if you want more info. It will increase your pocketing percentage very quickly until eventually you'll just start seeing them.

OK, will do. Thanks.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

JC

This is something I've thought about many times, but for some reason my brain just doesn't like to think about the percentage of the object ball I'm hitting and to use that to compensate.

There is only one shot that is a backcut with inside English to take the cue ball around 3 rails to the other side of the table where I just aim about 2 balls short of the pocket to actually make it. Other than that, I'm always using a ghost ball technique and aiming where I want the ball to go.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I've been using the side of the ferrule for many years. I find it an excellent method.

You can use this method with any English, and no further adjustments or compensation is needed. I like to think of this as an alignment method rather than an aiming method.

Anyway, try this on shots where the CB and OB are close, say a foot or less, and very thin hits. If you always hit the shot too thick, try shooting it firmly with inside English.

While the CB spin, regardless of inside or outside on paper thin cuts have practically no effect on throwing the OB one way or the other, that firm hit with inside English will squirt the CB away from the OB, and that will result in hitting the OB thinner. It's something to experiment with.

Yes, this is something I'm aware of with thin cuts. Inside English on thin cuts helps to avoid missing the OB completely. With my current stance and head position, I can make really thin cuts with inside English and by aiming to just barely miss the OB.

_______

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really having trouble visualizing where this phantom rail would be. Behind the object ball? Hmmmm.

_______

Yes, exactly. I experimented with all sorts of ideas and found that it works well for me.

I also do what JC recommended. It takes time and practice but it's worth the effort.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I agree with Lou. I once watched SVB set up the same shot for about an hour and kept shooting it until he didn't miss. I'm assuming it was a shot that gave him problems. If you are having an issue with certain shots set them up until you are comfortable pocketing them. The trick is that you have to use a quality stroke If the stroke was good, tip at same level or lower where you hitting the cue ball, it isn't left or right, and the backhand grip is loose and you struck the object ball where you were aiming, then you need to re adjust the aim until you "see" it or make it consistently.

Yeah, I plan to practice backcutting balls a lot more. The thing is, I've been missing extreme backcuts as well as backcuts that aren't that extreme. Right now it's the only shot I'm having trouble with. Mainly because I just can't see how to aim them right.

_______