new table - couple of questions

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty excited. I just got a 9' Diamond Pro Am (blue label). It's the one piece slate with the black wood. This is what I play on when I travel to tournaments so I'm pretty pumped! I didn't shim the pockets so I think they are 4 1/2, but that's ok. That's what I compete on. Also, with my 11 year old daughter learning the game I didn't want to make things too tough. Yet. Besides, as the cloth wears in they don't play too loose. Definitely not tight, but not complete buckets.

My questions:

1) Rails. The rails aren't as lively as most of the diamonds I've played on. Typically they seem to rebound energetically. My rails aren't dead by any stretch, but they aren't energetic. To be fair this is about the same as the tables at Turning Stone played when I went there last August. Not slow, just not explosive. Is this the way the new blue labels are supposed to play? Or is something wrong? Should I be trying to speed them up? If so, how? Would a dehumidifier help in my poolroom? Any suggestions?

2) Balls. OK, this is easier. I have really old centennials. They simply don't break apart on this table. Straight pool is virtually impossible. 10 ball is really, really difficult. I rack pretty well and half the time I explode the break and the middle of the rack barely opens up. I'm looking at a new set of balls, but I don't know which way I should go: Aramith or Cyclops. Thoughts? Will one set break better? What do more tournaments these days use? I think Aramith but can't really remember. Also, is there a good alternative ball polisher to Diamond's $600 one?

Let me know, thanks gang!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty excited. I just got a 9' Diamond Pro Am (blue label). It's the one piece slate with the black wood. This is what I play on when I travel to tournaments so I'm pretty pumped! I didn't shim the pockets so I think they are 4 1/2, but that's ok. That's what I compete on. Also, with my 11 year old daughter learning the game I didn't want to make things too tough. Yet. Besides, as the cloth wears in they don't play too loose. Definitely not tight, but not complete buckets.

My questions:

1) Rails. The rails aren't as lively as most of the diamonds I've played on. Typically they seem to rebound energetically. My rails aren't dead by any stretch, but they aren't energetic. To be fair this is about the same as the tables at Turning Stone played when I went there last August. Not slow, just not explosive. Is this the way the new blue labels are supposed to play? Or is something wrong? Should I be trying to speed them up? If so, how? Would a dehumidifier help in my poolroom? Any suggestions?

2) Balls. OK, this is easier. I have really old centennials. They simply don't break apart on this table. Straight pool is virtually impossible. 10 ball is really, really difficult. I rack pretty well and half the time I explode the break and the middle of the rack barely opens up. I'm looking at a new set of balls, but I don't know which way I should go: Aramith or Cyclops. Thoughts? Will one set break better? What do more tournaments these days use? I think Aramith but can't really remember. Also, is there a good alternative ball polisher to Diamond's $600 one?

Even older Centennials should open up. Sure you're getting rack really snug/frozen?

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Nothing cooler then getting the table you want in your home! except maybe a red rider bb gun, or garage sale Szamboti find...

Speaking as someone who got the red ryder for Christmas....... I'd shoot both my eye's out for a 9' table in my house :thumbup:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My questions:

I wouldn't worry about your cushion speed - they use Artemis cushions on their 9-foot tables and you can't get any better than that. I'm sure your old Centennials are nice, but with a new table, I'd sure want a new set of balls to go with it. I'd consider either Aramith Tournament balls, Aramith Super Pro balls or a new set of Centennial balls, and pick up an Aramith pro cup measle ball (if it doesn't come with your new set) as well as an Aramith red circle ball, and you should be all set. I would stay away from the Cyclop balls.

The Diamond ball polisher is really nice but. I've had a Bludworth for 23 years polishing 12-14 sets a week, and it still works great. I just checked their website and it now also costs around $600, and is not nearly as nice nor as heavy duty as the Diamond unit. The Diamond polisher can only polish 8 balls so it takes 2 cycles to polish a full set.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the rails bolted down tightly?

Got with Aramiths...Cyclops are poor quality,and finish is so slick they play funny especially on new cloth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

My questions:

The whole idea of the new rails was to slow them down...fast rails hurt the game.
...some of the oldtimers would put cheese cloth on the rails and then install the cloth...
...toned down rails favor the players with cue ball control.....
...three cushion players are very aware of this.

Lag as hard as you can and tell us how many lengths you get.

No action on the break is sometimes an indication that the cloth is not tight.
...but get new balls anyway...the table deserves it...and so do you.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My questions:

I had the same experience. Had the 9’ blue label installed in my house last year. It played great, but the rails weren’t as lively as the rails in the pool hall. I was always able to adjust after a few racks, but it bothered me for some reason.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys!

OK, balls/breaking first. I use a delta 13 rack currently. I will admit I am having a really hard time getting the balls tight. I am a pretty strong racker in general but it's a lot of work every time I rack the balls on this table. It's almost as if the cloth is so thin there is no way to push them into place, it feels like I'm racking the balls directly on the slate and instead of nestling together they just come apart a little. I'm constantly having to feather the 1 ball back with my finger or freeze them by hand. So that's probably the issue.

I think I'm going to get a couple of template racks. In the past I've struggled to get tight racks with the templates because there are such big indents in the cloth around the rack area, so maybe now since the cloth seems so tight and thin I can make the template work. I will still buy a set of Aramith balls (I think the tourneys use the TV Pro balls, is that right?) and a good polisher as well (thanks for the link Gerry!).

As for the rails, with a very firm (18mph or so) swing I can lag the cue ball and get 5 rails (so the cue ball hits the opposite end rail a total of three times). It just dribbles to that last rail. The other odd thing is that as the balls roll they seem to make a bit of a 'rumble' sound. Almost like they are rolling directly on the slate. I know the cloth is tight and it is Simonis, but it seems slightly strange to me.

Of course this is playable, like I said, they are not dead. And I'm not debating the merits of fast vs slow rails. But we all know that most diamonds play with extremely fast rails. I was merely trying to ascertain if this meant something was wrong with my table or if this was the direction Diamond was moving. I want to practice on what I compete on. If this is how the new tournament tables will play (like Turning stone did) that is fine. I just don't want to show up at DCC or the US Open and be playing a totally different game. I will double check the rails are bolted but the mechanic that set this table up is top notch. It sounds like this is a known experience based on easy-s's last post. I can adjust just fine, just seems odd.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys!

OK, balls/breaking first. I use a delta 13 rack currently. I will admit I am having a really hard time getting the balls tight. I am a pretty strong racker in general but it's a lot of work every time I rack the balls on this table. It's almost as if the cloth is so thin there is no way to push them into place, it feels like I'm racking the balls directly on the slate and instead of nestling together they just come apart a little. I'm constantly having to feather the 1 ball back with my finger or freeze them by hand. So that's probably the issue.

I think I'm going to get a couple of template racks. In the past I've struggled to get tight racks with the templates because there are such big indents in the cloth around the rack area, so maybe now since the cloth seems so tight and thin I can make the template work. I will still buy a set of Aramith balls (I think the tourneys use the TV Pro balls, is that right?) and a good polisher as well (thanks for the link Gerry!).

As for the rails, with a very firm (18mph or so) swing I can lag the cue ball and get 5 rails (so the cue ball hits the opposite end rail a total of three times). It just dribbles to that last rail. The other odd thing is that as the balls roll they seem to make a bit of a 'rumble' sound. Almost like they are rolling directly on the slate. I know the cloth is tight and it is Simonis, but it seems slightly strange to me.

Of course this is playable, like I said, they are not dead. And I'm not debating the merits of fast vs slow rails. But we all know that most diamonds play with extremely fast rails. I was merely trying to ascertain if this meant something was wrong with my table or if this was the direction Diamond was moving. I want to practice on what I compete on. If this is how the new tournament tables will play (like Turning stone did) that is fine. I just don't want to show up at DCC or the US Open and be playing a totally different game. I will double check the rails are bolted but the mechanic that set this table up is top notch. It sounds like this is a known experience based on easy-s's last post. I can adjust just fine, just seems odd.
The rails/cushions on the 9-foot Diamond, even though they are Artemis, are clearly slower than the black Diamond cushions they use on their 7-foot bar box tables, which in my opinion are just too fast and bouncy. If you are getting 5 lengths, you certainly don't have dead cushions.

As far as racking, even a Delta rack is not going to help you get a tight rack with an older / cheaper set of balls, as the size and roundness of older balls are just not all the same, so even with a template rack it may still be impossible to get them all frozen. Once you get a new quality set of balls, you should have no problem getting a tight rack with any good racking device.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Magic rack and Aramith TV Pro tourney balls just ordered!

PM sent to Gerry regarding a ball polisher.

Thanks all!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s been my personal experience that Diamonds are not as consistent as GC’s in different rooms/parts of the country. I have played on them in Colorado, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, and Georgia. Sometimes they play close to a GC, and sometimes they play like pinball machines. I personally think it’s something about the cushion material, and it is more susceptible to environmental factors than super speed cushions.

I recall even at the same place (DCC), one year it was snowing and they were closer to pinball machines. The last year I went 2 years ago it was warm outside, and they played like GC’s.

So, I’d bet there is nothing wrong with your table. It’s just the normal variations due to environmental conditions.

Also, plus one for template racks, new balls, and a polisher. New balls will definitely bounce more off of the rails. I experienced that myself on my home table.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond makes polishers in two sizes, one for 8 balls and one for 16.
The 16 ball polisher is a huge unit and likely would only be practical for a public poolroom, not for a home table. Even for a poolroom, it takes up an awful lot of room - around 5 square feet and weighing at least 60 pounds, which is why we don't have one - just don't have a good place to keep it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It’s been my personal experience that Diamonds are not as consistent as GC’s in different rooms/parts of the country. I have played on them in Colorado, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, and Georgia. Sometimes they play close to a GC, and sometimes they play like pinball machines. I personally think it’s something about the cushion material, and it is more susceptible to environmental factors than super speed cushions.

I recall even at the same place (DCC), one year it was snowing and they were closer to pinball machines. The last year I went 2 years ago it was warm outside, and they played like GC’s.

So, I’d bet there is nothing wrong with your table. It’s just the normal variations due to environmental conditions.

Also, plus one for template racks, new balls, and a polisher. New balls will definitely bounce more off of the rails. I experienced that myself on my home table.

The Artemis cushions are more sensitive to the elements and varying factors than the Super Speed b/c the contact point of Artemis is larger imo.
It will grab the ball more.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tin Man, you live in MN. Location and environmental conditions will vary, and have dramatic effect on table. Yes to the dehumidifier, and you will need to heat sink the table from below. There are oil filled heaters, that will fit under your table. Once the oil and your table heat sink, they won’t draw much juice. Get a good one, with a thermostat. Your table should play as intended. Only problem is the extension cord.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main difference in the speed is because red label diamonds and blue label diamonds have different cushions. The red label cushions are a bit more springy making them a little faster. I think the the red labels are a bit more sensitive to the elements also. IMO the blue label diamond plays better and is pretty close from table to table.

As far as balls go I have a set of aramith and a set of cyclops. Depending on what's being used in a particular tournament is what I practice with I do think they play a bit differently

I think the rumble you are referring to is it is simply quieter in a home environment than it is in a pool room. Therefore you can actually hear the balls rolling on the table

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot to congratulate you for the new table, sweet.�� With the one piece, I’m guessing it’s not in the basement ? Unless you’ve got a big walkout.