Older Tooled Case....anyone know who made me?

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Large case....4x11....and there does not appear to be any discernable markings anywhere. Rich dark brown with nice tooling all over the case. Tubes are PVC, lined with billiard cloth. Shafts fit down in the tubes very snugly. Lenzip and Talon zippers.

Anyone here recognize the work? Earlier Swift? Flowers? Or someone else?

Thanks a bunch !!
Sean

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It has a lot of Justis decoration elements but not consistent with his construction techniques. Maybe Jack would recognize it. My guess is it is a one-off case made by a leather craftsman who was influenced by Jack's design.

Chris

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It's very heavy indeed. :) I did a little research on the zippers and both are/were American companies. One of the companies went defunct around 1980. Certainly makes me think it was crafted here in the states. It's a neat old case for sure !!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Large case....4x11....and there does not appear to be any discernable markings anywhere. Rich dark brown with nice tooling all over the case. Tubes are PVC, lined with billiard cloth. Shafts fit down in the tubes very snugly. Lenzip and Talon zippers.

Anyone here recognize the work? Earlier Swift? Flowers? Or someone else?

Thanks a bunch !!
Sean

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

I also think it's a one-off case. There are several interesting elements to it which make me believe that.

The way that the pockets are done is an uncommon way to handle corners and is something you see in other leather working occasionally but almost never in cue cases.

The care shown in this case indicates that someone had some time to spend thinking about it and they either were not influenced at all by other case makers like Flowers or Swift or they consciously made improvements over those two makes in some areas.

The two things I see though that don't seem to be well thought out is the top handle and the upper strap loop construction. The single piece of leather for the top handle is much too weak for a case of this size. The weight of the case is going to be too much for the two rivets with the way the strap retainer is built. It should have been in the other direction or done like Swift does them in order to not tear at that point.

So for that reason I'd have to guess that maybe this maker was influenced by Flowers or Instroke in choosing to do the strap this way.

It's a nice case though no matter how you look at it. Good find!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's very heavy indeed. :) I did a little research on the zippers and both are/were American companies. One of the companies went defunct around 1980. Certainly makes me think it was crafted here in the states. It's a neat old case for sure !!

I also think it was made in the USA. You can probably pull out the plumbing tubes and get some information off of them. I have an old flyrod case which someone stuffed full of lined plumbing tubes. All of the tubes say Made in USA on them along with a lot of other technical information. So that could give you more clues.

Also you could post it at www.leatherworker.net and see if anyone knows. That's a long shot but it's a shot.

Last edited:

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but this MIGHT be a King case. He does some real nice work in the Flowers/Justis style. Canadian case maker and he posts on the board. Maybe he can chime in?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mystery case

It also looks like maybe its had some repairs or upgrading done to it. The two different snaps on the lid don't look consistent. Like, the lower snap broke off and the bigger silver one was put on it's place. Also, the feet don't match the color scheme of the case.

It definitely looks like this person has made cases before though. I agree with Jon, the overall design is very well thought out. And it does look like they took elements of other case makers and made modifications to their tastes.

The dye work is beautiful and the tooling is also done very nicely. The zippers on the pockets is unusual. Possibly even Porper or an old Murnak?

Very nice and unique case either way.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to John and everyone for your help. I have a few outstanding questions with casemakers to see if they familiar with the work. Justis didn't have an idea who it may be. This is a very interesting case (indeed high quality work) and will be available for sale soon, but we were hoping to identify it first. Keep the ideas coming if anyone thinks they may know....

Sean

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
case

what a piece of crap. just sell it to me cheap & i'll try to figure it out. or maybe i'll trade my new Peterson for it. HAR HAR

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John ,isn't that case on your post the one I just bought,its not fair to show it while I am so eager

Dean

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I also think it was made in the USA. You can probably pull out the plumbing tubes and get some information off of them. I have an old flyrod case which someone stuffed full of lined plumbing tubes. All of the tubes say Made in USA on them along with a lot of other technical information. So that could give you more clues.

Also you could post it at www.leatherworker.net and see if anyone knows. That's a long shot but it's a shot.

The whole rig of PVC tubes comes out pretty easily and definitely made in US.

Thanks for everyone's input on this mystery.