USPPA Reno players, did they get paid?

mbj

"Burl" Ives approves
Silver Member
How do you garnish a wage, seize property, till tap, etc? Who do you get to do that? Will a policeman/sheriff do that for you? Where I live, Stockton, CA, you'd have a very difficult time getting any law enforcement officer to help you with this. They will only respond to serious crimes. Is it different elsewhere?

If you pay the fee, fill out the form correctly, file correctly, etc then the sheriff is obligated to carry out the tasks.

That said I know some sheriff offices that still resist

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you pay the fee, fill out the form correctly, file correctly, etc then the sheriff is obligated to carry out the tasks.

That said I know some sheriff offices that still resist

Thanks for responding. Law enforcement where I live is overwhelmed! I doubt they would put out much effort for this. I could be wrong. I'm glad that there is a process in place.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Can't help but think that a Debtor's Prison would be a lot easier.

Well, it used to be that way. But at the end of the day that really does nothing to satisfy the debt to the creditor. Makes the debtor a ward of the state and the creditor still gets nothing.

Most people aren't going to be homeless on purpose and so they will have to work somewhere somehow. So going through the wage garnishment and other steps is a pain in the ass but compared to having nothing it's a shot.

Here is the thing though, once you have a judgement you can sell it. There are companies out there who buy up debt for up to 50cts on the dollar. They will then go after the debtor aggressively and keep tacking on fees to pad their take. This is super crappy if you are on the receiving end but at least it lets the creditor get some payment and closure.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not that hard

Thanks for responding. Law enforcement where I live is overwhelmed! I doubt they would put out much effort for this. I could be wrong. I'm glad that there is a process in place.

Law enforcement is overwhelmed everywhere. The key point is every Sheriff's dept. has a dept. that deals with civil problems and dealing with collections is one of them. It is not as hard or complicated as it sounds.
I don't know why your father would have had such a hard time. I have had many collections for and against. If you levy a business, which Jeff should do if he gets judgment, people are hired to act as a keeper and collect receipts from debtors cash register. These people are not law enforcement but people hired to do collections, usually retired sherrrif's.
It does not cost a lot for this service. Also garnishing wages is easy. You just file papers with the collection dept. of the county, and they just send papers to the debtors bosses then the business are required to deduct from their paycheck. Usually 10 percent per payday. I satisfied two judgments that way in my lifetime. Does not take any law enforcement time from important jobs. Handled by clerks.
I don't think Tony has ever collected a pay check in his life. All has probably been business income and as a business a proprietor does not pay wages you can garnish, they takes draws which is not garnishable.
Thus business levy's. Now ways around this for Tony is transfer assests to his son, which probably would happen. I did it once when Don King was after me to collect when I illegally showed a major championship fight.
It took them 10 years to collect about $3000.
Also for you info , the one thing the govt. cannot take is your house if you own it. A lien can be put on it so that when you sell the lien gets paid off.
Think of the O.J. Simpson situation. They got a lot of personal property but no real property. You pay taxes for all of these services. It is not a matter at all of priorities but their job.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good luck to you, Jeff

The judge said the answer will be mailed by the end of this week. I will let everyone know the outcome as soon as I get it. The judge kept telling Annigoni to stop talking when the judge was speaking. Annigoni says I cheated. I did do a saver bet with a player for 200 bucks. He says he announced at the players meeting that there are to be no saver bets or splits. He says that is why he cannot pay me. I was there and NEVER heard him say anything about that. I did hear him talk about why Gambling is good for the sport.

Same thing happened back in 2006 when I won the tourney and had 36 tourneys to get the Bonus money. He said I only had 35 Tournaments, and NEVER paid me for it. He kept the $3000 Bonus money and thought nothing of it. He told me to prove that I had 36 Tournaments. I kept track every week and know I had them all. Since I could not prove this (the sheets were mailed in to him each week.) He got away with this.

Anyone else ever had this kind of issue?

Jeff, I hope you win in this case. I learned quite a bit about Annigoni with this fiasco.....needless to say, I have lost what little respect I have for him because of the way he has slithered out of this whole mess, but I doubt he cares what anybody thinks about his character, or lack thereof....

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't mean to hijack this thread. I hope the information supplied by the other posters is helpful to Jeff. I know I learned something and am grateful to those that provided such great information! Good luck Jeff!

levartze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Tony A. is getting any overrides/royalties from the book about him written by David McCumber "Playing off the Rail"; I noticed the book cover itself has changed from the one I bought years ago and maybe that means continued sales - enough to make new editions/revisions of it? I would think that if Jeff's case was won he could go after this income as well.

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Got the Judges Decision, I WON!

Just checked my mail today and received the letter from the Solano County Superior Court. They have given me the Judgement against Tony Annigoni and the Two Cushion Club in Fairfield. CA. I went to court on Feb 23rd, and I am happy about the Judge's decision. The judgement was for $5000 plus $190 in court costs.

If any other Winner's of Prize Money that never got paid for the tourney that took place at the Peppermill in Reno would like to know how to go about getting a case started, I will be more than happy to show you how to do this. Thanks for all your support out there folks. Now it is time to work on getting paid for winning the pool tournament.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checked my mail today and received the letter from the Solano County Superior Court. They have given me the Judgement against Tony Annigoni and the Two Cushion Club in Fairfield. CA. I went to court on Feb 23rd, and I am happy about the Judge's decision. The judgement was for $5000 plus $190 in court costs.

If any other Winner's of Prize Money that never got paid for the tourney that took place at the Peppermill in Reno would like to know how to go about getting a case started, I will be more than happy to show you how to do this. Thanks for all your support out there folks. Now it is time to work on getting paid for winning the pool tournament.

Congratulations Jeff!!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Alright!! Way to go!! I won a judgment once and was worried about collecting but shouldnt have. I turned it over to a 'City Marshall' (NY) and got a check with interest within 2 weeks- The Marshall's fee- $25.00!!!

(Avistar Parking service @ Kennedy crashed my car and tried to deny it-i buried them in court and they gave up)

Last edited:

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member

That is so great Jeff!

--Jeff

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
congratulations

Always nice to hear good news, Jeff........It will be much better news when you get the cash in hand......here's hoping it will be soon.........

levartze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Congrats Jeff!

You said you won a judgement against Tony A. and the Two Cushion Club in Fairfield - correct?

I'm not positive about this, but I'd check on it if I were you; you may be able to hire the services of a local law enforcement official for <$100 (someone to go with you and show them the paper that says you have a right to do what you're going to do) to seize or take equipment (i.e., pool tables and other equipment from the pool room); You'd bring a truck and crew to pickup whatever you could of value and then auction those items to recover the money for the judgement you won.

Knowing you have years of experience auctioning goods from abandon storage units, should make them very nervous; you could put an auction together pretty quickly; Heck, that's only 10 tables @ $500 each!
Bob

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Keep us posted, if Tony tries to pull any moves to avoid payment.

Just because the court orders it, that doesn't make it happen. But it provides legal motivation.

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Appeal

Calling all USPPA players who were not paid. I am going back to court May 11th and need to know who all the players were that were not paid. Alex I know you are one of them. Annigoni appealed the judgement against him on the LAST day he could have. Now we have to go back to court again. So trying to get all evidence as to who else STILL has not gotten paid. Thanks alot!
Jeff Gregory

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Usppa

Jeff,

You might want to contact the Peppermill - contact is Dana Shores.
I believe Tony still owes them money and they might be a very creditible witness etc.

Wishing you guys the best. If you go back through this thread, I think there was a list of people owed.

Mark Griffin

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Post # 727 seems to be an accurate list. We had 4 from our room-Charles Skeen, Johnny Skeen, Albert Alford, and Don Parker. None have been paid anything. I can hook you up with phone #s if need be. The rumour was that the table mechanic wasn't paid, either. I couldn't say whether or not that was true. Good luck.