USPPA Reno players, did they get paid?

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Court Date Small Claims

If anyone would like to come to the Solano County Courthouse on Thursday, February 23rd at 2pm, this is the day scheduled for the trial to hopefully get some kind of judgement or payment from the tournament at the Peppermill in Reno. The address is 600 Union Ave. Fairfield, CA 94533.
Annigoni will be there.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Usppa and court

I certainly hope some other players show up and support Jeff Gregory in his quest for payment.

Mark griffin

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Hopefully efforts have been taken, aside from this post, to notify the people who are owed?

Good luck, hope you get paid!

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Peppermill $

Hopefully efforts have been taken, aside from this post, to notify the people who are owed?

Good luck, hope you get paid!

I'll let the 4 or 5 that are owed money in our room know. I doubt anyone would make the trip, but they'll be happy to know it hasn't been forgotten. Good luck to Jeff.

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Annigoni

The judge said the answer will be mailed by the end of this week. I will let everyone know the outcome as soon as I get it. The judge kept telling Annigoni to stop talking when the judge was speaking. Annigoni says I cheated. I did do a saver bet with a player for 200 bucks. He says he announced at the players meeting that there are to be no saver bets or splits. He says that is why he cannot pay me. I was there and NEVER heard him say anything about that. I did hear him talk about why Gambling is good for the sport.

Same thing happened back in 2006 when I won the tourney and had 36 tourneys to get the Bonus money. He said I only had 35 Tournaments, and NEVER paid me for it. He kept the $3000 Bonus money and thought nothing of it. He told me to prove that I had 36 Tournaments. I kept track every week and know I had them all. Since I could not prove this (the sheets were mailed in to him each week.) He got away with this.

Anyone else ever had this kind of issue?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

What level court is the judge deciding the case sitting on? Is it players VS Angionni or players vs USPPA? Or actioncentral vs Tony?

I will relate a story if this goes to bankruptcy court.

Last edited:

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
WOW, that is some bullsh*t right there!

Did anyone else appear in court with you that was owed money?

The judge said the answer will be mailed by the end of this week. I will let everyone know the outcome as soon as I get it. The judge kept telling Annigoni to stop talking when the judge was speaking. Annigoni says I cheated. I did do a saver bet with a player for 200 bucks. He says he announced at the players meeting that there are to be no saver bets or splits. He says that is why he cannot pay me. I was there and NEVER heard him say anything about that. I did hear him talk about why Gambling is good for the sport.

Same thing happened back in 2006 when I won the tourney and had 36 tourneys to get the Bonus money. He said I only had 35 Tournaments, and NEVER paid me for it. He kept the $3000 Bonus money and thought nothing of it. He told me to prove that I had 36 Tournaments. I kept track every week and know I had them all. Since I could not prove this (the sheets were mailed in to him each week.) He got away with this.

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Alex Bradley showed up to give some credibility. He was really helpful and even wore a collared shirt. Kudos to him for showing up and supporting the cause for getting paid!

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Alex Bradley showed up to give some credibility. He was really helpful and even wore a collared shirt. Kudos to him for showing up and supporting the cause for getting paid!

Is that Aball from here? Wasn't he owed money? Did he file a claim?

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Is that Aball from here? Wasn't he owed money? Did he file a claim?

Yeah, that's me. I may file a claim, but I'm waiting to hear what happens with Jeff's claim. The main problem is that there is no money when you win. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Last edited:

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's me. I may file a claim, but I'm waiting to hear what happens with Jeff's claim. The main problem is that there is no money when you win. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

In addition, it is very difficult for an individual to enforce a judgment. If the judge rules for Jeff and decides he is legally owed $5,000, how does Jeff collect even if Tony had the money? However, if the judge does rule in favor of Jeff, he will at least have the satisfaction that he is in the right and legally deserves to be paid and Tony will know that he was legally in the wrong.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In addition, it is very difficult for an individual to enforce a judgment. If the judge rules for Jeff and decides he is legally owed $5,000, how does Jeff collect even if Tony had the money? However, if the judge does rule in favor of Jeff, he will at least have the satisfaction that he is in the right and legally deserves to be paid and Tony will know that he was legally in the wrong.

Actually there are a lot of things you can do if you get a judgment. You can attach property such as a vehicle or a bank account, and even do a "till tap" on a business.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Actually there are a lot of things you can do if you get a judgment. You can attach property such as a vehicle or a bank account, and even do a "till tap" on a business.

You can have his wages garnished. Can have him evicted from his house. Have his property seized and auctioned off.

People have lost their homes for tax liens of just a few thousand dollars.

www.jbcases.com

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That sure hasn't been my experience. My dad had his own business. He had quite a few people out there that owed him money. He took one of them to court and got a judgment and thought that he would get paid. Nope. He had to find a way to enforce the order. Fortunately for him, one of his best friends was a bailiff for the SF superior court and had a Sheriff's badge. He helped my dad by flashing his badge. Had it not been for his friend the bailiff, I'm not sure he would have gotten paid.

How do you implement a till tap? Do you go into their business and stand at the cash register? I'm not sure you'd get away with that. I doubt you'd be able to attach a bank account either.

This is one of the reasons that child support implemented through counties is so helpful because they can enforce judgments.

Maybe the laws have changed and I'm just not aware of it. If so, that's a good thing because people that owe money need to pay and those that are owed need to have ways to collect.

mbj

"Burl" Ives approves
Silver Member
There's actually a fair amount of truth in everybody's statements about collecting on judgments. There are things you can do, but they certainly can be complicated. You can usually garnish wages, but some states don't allow it. Even those that do, there are exemptions that can be claimed. You can attach bank accounts, assuming you know where the person banks. You can seize personal property, but if you do, there can be substantial fees associated with items that are actually seized (storage fees, etc). Seizing real property is even more cumbersome. (tax liens are different because the pathway to collection is made far easier for the government) If the person lives in another state, you have to domesticate it into the state that they live in which requires court action.

In any event, one easily achieved benefit of a judgment is that once recorded it becomes public record and public record shows up on a person's credit report. Also, if you record the judgment in the county or counties where the defendant owns personal property, that property cannot be mortgaged or refinanced until your judgment is satisfied. Note that it's not enough to just get a judgment, you also have to record it.

ok, sorry for the hijack, as you can see there is a lot to this

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's actually a fair amount of truth in everybody's statements about collecting on judgments. There are things you can do, but they certainly can be complicated. You can usually garnish wages, but some states don't allow it. Even those that do, there are exemptions that can be claimed. You can attach bank accounts, assuming you know where the person banks. You can seize personal property, but if you do, there can be substantial fees associated with items that are actually seized (storage fees, etc). Seizing real property is even more cumbersome. (tax liens are different because the pathway to collection is made far easier for the government) If the person lives in another state, you have to domesticate it into the state that they live in which requires court action.

In any event, one easily achieved benefit of a judgment is that once recorded it becomes public record and public record shows up on a person's credit report. Also, if you record the judgment in the county or counties where the defendant owns personal property, that property cannot be mortgaged or refinanced until your judgment is satisfied. Note that it's not enough to just get a judgment, you also have to record it.

ok, sorry for the hijack, as you can see there is a lot to this

How do you garnish a wage, seize property, till tap, etc? Who do you get to do that? Will a policeman/sheriff do that for you? Where I live, Stockton, CA, you'd have a very difficult time getting any law enforcement officer to help you with this. They will only respond to serious crimes. Is it different elsewhere?

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
How do you garnish a wage, seize property, till tap, etc? Who do you get to do that? Will a policeman/sheriff do that for you? Where I live, Stockton, CA, you'd have a very difficult time getting any law enforcement officer to help you with this. They will only respond to serious crimes. Is it different elsewhere?

This is the info provided for Solano County where the case took place: http://www.solanocourts.com/Courts/SmallClaims.html
It starts in the Enforcement of Judgment section.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
From the link above:

Enforcement of Judgment

The key to enforcing a judgment is knowing where the judgment debtor's money is. Typical cash flow sources are bank accounts, employment, rental income, and business receipts. If you have no information regarding the debtor's assets, you may file an Application and Order for Appearance and Examination. The Order of Examination is a hearing where you ask the debtor questions about his or her assets. You may ask where the debtor banks and where he or she works, among other questions. There is a fee to file an Order of Examination.

If you file an Order of Examination, you may want to have a Subpoena Duces Tecum issued at the same time. A Subpoena Duces Tecum is used to order the debtor to bring certain documents to the examination hearing. Documents that are generally subpoenaed include pay stubs, bank statements, accounts receivable and any other documents that tend to show where assets are.

Both the Order of Examination and Subpoena Duces Tecum must be personally served by a Sheriff or Registered Process Server.

Specific Enforcement Procedures

Wage Garnishment

If the judgment debtor works for someone else, his or her wages may be garnished to pay off the judgment. To begin the process, you must complete a Writ of Execution form. There is a fee to have the Writ of Execution issued. Once the Writ of Execution has been issued, take it to the Sheriff's Office and request an Application for Earnings Withholding Order. Fill out the forms completely with the employer's name and address and the judgment debtor's full name.

The Sheriff will charge a fee to serve the wage garnishment. The Sheriff's Office can tell you how soon the garnishment should begin after it is served and how much of the judgment debtor's wages may be garnished per pay period.

Rental Income Garnishment

If the judgment debtor owns rental property, you may garnish the rents paid by the current tenants. The procedure is the same as for the wage garnishment except you instruct the Sheriff to do a rent garnishment instead of a wage garnishment. The Sheriff will charge a fee to serve the rent garnishment.

Bank Levy***

If you know the bank and branch the judgment debtor has a deposit account, you may levy on the funds in the account. To begin this procedure you must obtain a Writ of Execution from the clerk. Take the Writ to the Sheriff and request a bank levy. Once the Sheriff serves the levy, the bank account is frozen and the account holder is notified. There is a fee for the Writ and a Sheriff's fee.

Till Tap/Keeper's Levy***

If the judgment debtor owns a business that has a cash register, you may arrange for the Sheriff to go to the business and do either a Till Tap or a Keeper's Levy. A Till Tap sends the Sheriff into the business to take all cash and checks out of the cash register. A Keeper's Levy stations the Sheriff at the business for 8 to 12 hours to collect money as it is paid to the business. To begin this procedure you must obtain a Writ of Execution from the clerk. Take the Writ to the Sheriff and request a Till Tap/Keeper's Levy. There is a fee for the Writ and a Sheriff's fee.

NOTE: The judgment debtor may close his or her business for the day and the Sheriff will be unable to collect any money.

***Certain money is exempt from levy, such as child support payments. If the judgment debtor files an exemption to the levy you will be notified and will have an opportunity to oppose any claim of exemption.

Judgment Lien on Real Property

If the judgment debtor owns real property, you may record a lien on the debtor that attaches the property. Go to the clerk and ask for an Abstract of Judgment form. There is a fee to have the Abstract of Judgment issued. Record the Abstract of Judgment at the County Recorder's Office, 701 Texas Street, Fairfield, California.

The Abstract places a lien on the equity the judgment debtor has in real property located in Solano County. Before the judgment debtor's real property can be sold, the lien must be satisfied.

NOTE: You may record an Abstract of Judgment in any county in which the judgment debtor owns property.

Costs After Judgment

A judgment creditor is entitled to recover certain costs incurred in enforcing a judgment. The judgment creditor is also entitled to claim 10% interest on the principal amount of the judgment. Costs must be added to the judgment within two years of incurring them. Interest may be added at any time.

Accumulated costs and interest are added to the judgment by filing a Memorandum of Costs with the clerk. Ask the clerk for a Memorandum of Costs form for small claims. Complete the form and mail one copy to the judgment debtor, and file the original with the clerk. The Memorandum of Costs must be mailed by someone other than the creditor.

Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment

After the judgment debtor pays the judgment, the judgment creditor is required to immediately sign the short Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment portion of the Notice of Entry of Judgment form and file it with the small claims court.

If the judgment creditor has recorded an Abstract of Judgment in any county where the judgment debtor owns real property, a different acknowledgment form must be used. Also, the judgment creditor must sign the form in front of a notary public and record it with the county recorder in any county where he or she has recorded an Abstract of Judgment.