What cue weight do you play with?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious how many have experimented with cue weights. Do you now play with a heavier or lighter cue then you once did? Did it make any noticeable difference in your game one way or the other.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Troy Downey cue I just bought is 19.43 OZ. which feels fine.
The shaft was a full 13 MM and I had it reduced to 12.75 MM and it feels so much better.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My players cue was 18.5 oz when I first got it. Took the weight bolt out completely dropping it to 16 oz and then got .75mm taken off the shaft dropping the weight even more. I truly love how light this cue is and cannot go back to heavier and thicker cues.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years I thought that 20oz was perfect for me. Until I bought a new stick that was closer to 18oz. I was shocked how much better I was playing with it. Now I'm right around 18.5-19. I found that I got better top spin action with just a slightly heavier cue, but still keep my accuracy around this range.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my Palmer is 17.5oz and my Scruggs is 20.25oz. The palmer moves the cue ball just as well as the anything. Balance is more important than weight.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18.7oz. interestingly i think i have two cues that are that exact weight.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting trend I've noticed that I'm noticing again. I seem to see older players sticking with moderately heavy weights (right around 19 oz), and younger guns sticking to lighter weights and thinner shafts. Nearly every real player I know who is in my age group (I'm 20) tends to shoot lighter and thinner - while the old school guys (who still dominate mind you!) tend to shoot heavier and thicker.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Interesting trend I've noticed that I'm noticing again. I seem to see older players sticking with moderately heavy weights (right around 19 oz), and younger guns sticking to lighter weights and thinner shafts. Nearly every real player I know who is in my age group (I'm 20) tends to shoot lighter and thinner - while the old school guys (who still dominate mind you!) tend to shoot heavier and thicker.

I bet those same young guys want a heavy break cue. I see that a lot.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Older guys have been through it all, know what works for them and don't follow trends. I'm an older guy who likes my cues between 19.5 and 20 ounces and 12.5 to 12.75mm at the tip.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet those same young guys want a heavy break cue. I see that a lot.

This I can't vouch for entirely. Both of my breakers are around 16 oz. I know my buddy finally settled on a heavy hitter.

But, another friend would die before giving up his OB Rift (speed break version).

Like I said, I cannot vouch on the break cues. But I prefer light playing cues for sure and thinner tips - not because it's a "trend" but because it's what feels most comfortable for me.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Butt: 14.6oz
Shaft: 3.8oz

The balance point is a little forward of neutral and I prefer it that way, I feel it keeps your stroke straighter than a butt-heavy cue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to play with cues weighing 20+ ounces with piloted steel joints.........started playing pool in 1961.........my Palmer and "85 Runde Schon both weigh low 20 ounces.

In 2000, I started playing with lighter weight piloted steel joint cues weighing 19 ounces and enjoyed the change. Then in 2002, I started playing with ivory cue joints
weighing the same weight....19-19.25 ounces. The final transition came in 2005-6 when I started playing with lighter weight (under 19 ounces) ivory joint cues.

Ultimately, after experimenting with lots of cues, I've settled upon strictly flat ivory joint cues with big pins weighing low-mid 18 ounces......I just found it's the best combination
and all my playing cues have that spec....all four cues.......and I am presently looking to score another of those cues for my small collection.

Matt B.

p.s. 7-19-15 Update......what has it been since I posted this .....3 weeks..........Oh well, screw getting just another cue.......
I ordered a new custom from Bob Owen last week and then 2 days later I ordered a new custom from Jerry Rauenzahn......
two cues being made at the same time. You'll never convince me that pool cues aren't addicting. It's become a sickness.......
2 more very special ivory joint cues are now underway but arrival not til next summer.

Last edited:

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely starting to prefer lighter cues. My P2 is at 18.9 and I want it lighter but it wont drop anymore. Balance is more important for me and my cue is at 14.9 in the butt and 4.0 in the 314 shaft. Next is a custom in the 18.5 range.

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
All my cues (I have four that I use) are right around 21 oz. It's just the weight I've always used.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Working on a cue

I have a McDermott cue in my shop for repairs .
The weight bolt was so massive that they had to drill and tap the butt to half inch weight bolt could be used .
The big weight bolt made the wood to thin and the butt has broken off of this cue twice now.

The wrap section and the butt sleeve are both made of paper wrapped phenolic and is super light.

After I am done it will have a weight bolt in it 9.5 inch long, the balance point will be different.

The cue had a weight bolt that weighed 8.5 ounces and the cue only weighted 22 ounces total.

I did have a high level of respect for McDermott cues, I like the D models ,
But I don't care for the plastic ones.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always been around 19.2oz as my favorite, but recently started playing with one around 18.6 and I'm liking it just fine. It's actually 19.2 with the stock shaft, but I switched to a Tiger X-Pro that is 3.6oz and that dropped it about .6oz from stock. I'm finding the weight and balance to feel really natural for me right now so I'm sticking with it.

Break cue is 19.2oz.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only one cue, which is my first.

What is the difference in the way an 18oz and 20 oz would play? any significant difference?