Kamui Tip Differences

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
OK I was online last night at Kamui's website trying to learn about the different playing differences of the different types of tips that Kamui offers. And their website did not really do a bang up job of getting into explaining the different playing differences for all the tips that they offer. I tried to find other discussion of the different tip types here and elsewhere online, but did not really find much help.

I am wanting to test play at least the super soft, soft and medium level tips. These really will be the first layered tips I have seriously used. As mostly I have only played with lepro, elkmaster, triangle and champion tips. So I want to know if there are any serious differences between the types of Kamui tips for the different grades of hardness.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Black Super Soft on my Predator shaft and I think it is a bit too soft...especially when you first put it on. I had to sand mine down quite a bit to make it thinner where it didn't feel quite so mushy to me.

I replaced the one I had on my solid maple shaft because it felt way too soft and put too much unnecessary spin on the ball.

gardener28

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I was online last night at Kamui's website trying to learn about the different playing differences of the different types of tips that Kamui offers. And their website did not really do a bang up job of getting into explaining the different playing differences for all the tips that they offer. I tried to find other discussion of the different tip types here and elsewhere online, but did not really find much help.

I am wanting to test play at least the super soft, soft and medium level tips. These really will be the first layered tips I have seriously used. As mostly I have only played with lepro, elkmaster, triangle and champion tips. So I want to know if there are any serious differences between the types of Kamui tips for the different grades of hardness.

Elk is a soft tip, and others are harder.. so what is your preference?
I recommend you try milkdud from pooldawg8 here first, then ultraskin, then ki-tech, if you want to, and maybe kamikazecuetips.
milkdud is a mid tip in hardness, while others all have different ratings to fit your needs.
And all of them are better or equal quality then Kamui with only a fraction in cost.
Even if money is not an issue, you can donate the money to people in need, or just buy yourself a few drinks, instead of donate to Kamui. :)

gardener28

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Black Super Soft on my Predator shaft and I think it is a bit too soft...especially when you first put it on. I had to sand mine down quite a bit to make it thinner where it didn't feel quite so mushy to me.

I replaced the one I had on my solid maple shaft because it felt way too soft and put too much unnecessary spin on the ball.

Forgot to mention, I had Kamui soft before, it kept mushrooming..
And also it is gazing like a shinny window.
I fixed the issue with a tip pad and a tip pick.
Well, if you do maintenance a few times a week, it holds the chalk and play well.

Like I said before, there are many other choices that need less work and hold chalk better. It is a nice product, but I will never buy it again for its price..:smile:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Kamui and quite a few other "high dollar" tips are WAY overrated.

You can find tips that are much cheaper and play just as well. You just have to experiment to find what feel and action you want.

I have a milk dud on my Meucci Pro and I have TNT Pro Max tips on a couple other shafts. I also have shafts with Le Pro tips. I am looking for a "hit" and "feel" instead of who makes the tip. The same tip may not feel or act the same on a different shaft.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree with HawaiianEye.

The SS was too soft & I had always played the very soft Elk Masters.

Someone here told me the take a couple layers off at a time.

I did & it got just how I l like it.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laughable...there's only one tip to try and it's VERY cheap.The name is 'milkdud',sold for bout $3 here on Az.Try it if you want,I don't really care !!!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be able to help you out. I am an authorized Kamui installer in my area. As such I have installed and played with Almost every variation of tip they make. I play at about an A level, if that means anything or lends any credibility to my assessment of the play characteristics.

Because "how the tip *feels* to the customer" is my primary "product" to sell vs. some other tip installers, knowing what they all feel like is a pretty important thing for me. Of course, even more so I want to know exactly what *I* like!

One factor I don't hear much talk about is your shaft diameter. A larger diameter shaft for some reason makes a tip feel slightly harder, and also less flexible. Surely a length to width thing. So when I make recommendations to people I need to know what shaft they play with. When I transitioned from a 314-2 to my first small diameter shaft, which was a OB Classic Pro, I also tried the same tip, Kamui black soft. The first thing I noticed is that the tip felt like it flexed to the sides so much more using english. Also it kinda gave a spring and then *SNAP* back quality to it, which made it feel like a little or a lot was like an on/off switch. I didn't care for it. So I went to the brown soft. Problem essentially solved. The brown is much less flexible than the black. It gives more the feeling of going through the ball, rather than grabbing the ball. Although the "grip" was almost the same on the brown, the *feeling* of the grip was much more direct and linear. Generally speaking that is the principle performance difference for me between the brown and black. However, I must admit that I love the look of the black better. It burnishes much nicer and just looks better. For me a tip that looks nice and well maintained inspires confidence, and I want all I can get of that.

Next I went from the soft to the medium brown. I believe I also went with the clear. I must say I very much like installing the clears. It couldn't be easier. I swear they feel like they hit a tiny bit more solid for some reason. Anyway, the medium was better to me. More of a crisp direct hit. Really a better choice for my current OB Pro + (11.75mm).

Not satisfied yet, I went for the medium clear black. Bingo for me. I think the medium black is quite a bit harder than the soft. The medium is enough harder that the flexibility issue I didn't like in the soft was gone, I got all the grippiness of the black, I got the nicer look, and man that medium black when nicely burnished, good dome, and kinda tall just hits phenomenal. I've had it for a while now and LOVE it.

I have hit with other peoples super softs. My friend plays with my old cue with a 314-2 shaft. I'm very familiar with it. So the super soft on that one feels incredible. However that cue is very light, has a 12.75mm shaft, and a super firm hit to begin with. Its like a magic blend. I love it. I think the soft black is great on larger diameter shafts.

Basically on a small shaft I wouldn't care for a super soft and even a soft is too soft for me. I like a crisp hit. Not hard hard but firm, woody, and "bright"? if that makes any sense? The medium gets me there for the black and brown. The soft feels more like a medium on a 12.75 shaft. On a bigger shaft, the medium is fairly hard. Too hard for me I think. Soft is nice for most games on a larger shaft.

Gotta try it for yourself. To compare it to the tips you've tried: the super soft is well harder than an elk master, but that's not saying much. LePros can really range, but it seems like the best ones all tend to be medium hard type hits. I think a triangle can get medium hard, maybe hard if pressed. But a regular fresh triangle at medium tall height might be in the neighborhood of the Kamui soft in hardness, maybe the triangle would be a hair harder. I broken in triangle that is fairly packed down but still not old...like say the 3 months point...thats prbably about 70% of the way to the Kamui medium in hardness. Maybe more. Again, triangles do vary from tip to tip.

Kinda rambling I know, but hopefully this helped lol.

KMRUNOUT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Kamui and quite a few other "high dollar" tips are WAY overrated.

You can find tips that are much cheaper and play just as well. You just have to experiment to find what feel and action you want.

I have a milk dud on my Meucci Pro and I have TNT Pro Max tips on a couple other shafts. I also have shafts with Le Pro tips. I am looking for a "hit" and "feel" instead of who makes the tip. The same tip may not feel or act the same on a different shaft.

Agreed. Only one reason for that. M.A.P. pricing. In other words, price fixing. I quit using Tiger products because of it. 23 dollars for a friggin piece of leather? Not happening any more. Kamui uses map pricing as well. I play with a Predator. And I wouldn't own it if I hadn't won it in a contest. I won't buy an OB for the same reason. Lots of other choices in the 500 dollar range.

Back the the topic, I recommend a Morri tip. A third of the cost and an excellent player. Been using a Morri hard and no issues. No glazing so far. Been using it for a month.

KMRUNOUT wrote some good info. Only one problem.....if you tried all of Kamui's tips to see which you like,
You will spend 200 bucks (an estimate....don't chap my ass over it). A LOT more if you pay to have them installed.

2twoball.....you will never make a good salesman. Kind of harsh in your response. But you are correct to a point. Some people, myself included, prefer a layered tip. So a milk dud is out of the question.

Last edited:

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
KMRUNOUT

Thanks for the info. That was basically the kind of info I was looking for. My shafts tend to be either 12.75 or 13mm. I think I have 1 shaft for my Schon that is like 13.25mm. That is the biggest shaft I have ever shot with.

David

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The layered tip fad will be over soon. Almost as bad as aiming systems. Johnnyt

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The layered tip fad will be over soon. Almost as bad as aiming systems. Johnnyt

You might be right. But it won't be because of a disappearing fad. It will be because they will price themselves out of the market. Even some single layer tips are 5 or 6 bucks apiece. Hell, the KiTecs are 15 apiece. To much IMO. Tiger has already lost my business because of the price fixing.

Last edited:

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the consistency i get with the kamui tips i've played. there's very little variation in hardness from one level to the other, and i've never had one delaminate (which happened with a couple other tips i tried). i know what i'm getting with kamui...plus they support pool. both things i like when buying a product. i've known quite a few local players that have tried several different tips as well and end up going back to kamui.
i do cringe every time i hear of someone using a tip pick on one of them though (mostly because all i see is a beginner type player just hacking at a $25 tip haha). got a gator grip (i know they're expensive...but i got mine from a buddy for like 15 bucks) and i love that thing.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used lots of tips over the past 50+ years of playing pool.

The best tips made were the original Moori brown that haven't been produced for years and the current version Moori tips just aren't as good....IMO.

I have been playing Kamui tips since end of 2011. My Prewitt cue has original Moori brown tips...... absolutely the best of any tips but are no longer made. However, after original Moori tips,, it's Kamui all the way.

For awhile, I was playing with Kamui Black medium tips but I switched to Kamui Clear Black 2 1/2 years and also changed the hardness to soft and super soft........Wow.......absolutely much better to use instead of the Kamui Black medium I was previously playing.......the Kamui Clear series of tips really should be ranked #1 since the original Moori brown tips aren't made any longer.

I have purchased all my Kamui tips from Tom (Shooter 08) whom is just a great guy and Azer......he's a authorized Kamui Dealer, offers the best prices, fast shipping and great service.......OMG.....why would you ever want to buy anywhere else?

Anyway, Tom helped me switch to a softer version tip in the Kamui Clear series and he was right.....Definitely go a little softer when you try the Kamui Clear tips........all of my cues have Kamui Clear soft & super soft except for my Prewitt cue which has the fabulous original Moori brown tips no longer made.

Matt B.

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used lots of tips over the past 50+ years of playing pool.

The best tips made were the original Moori brown that haven't been produced for years and the current version Moori tips just aren't as good....IMO.

I have been playing Kamui tips since end of 2011. My Prewitt cue has original Moori brown tips...... absolutely the best of any tips but are no longer made. However, after original Moori tips,, it's Kamui all the way.

For awhile, I was playing with Kamui Black medium tips but I switched to Kamui Clear Black 2 1/2 years and also changed the hardness to soft and super soft........Wow.......absolutely much better to use instead of the Kamui Black medium I was previously playing.......the Kamui Clear series of tips really should be ranked #1 since the original Moori brown tips aren't made any longer.

I have purchased all my Kamui tips from Tom (Shooter 08) whom is just a great guy and Azer......he's a authorized Kamui Dealer, offers the best prices, fast shipping and great service.......OMG.....why would you ever want to buy anywhere else?

Anyway, Tom helped me switch to a softer version tip in the Kamui Clear series and he was right.....Definitely go a little softer when you try the Kamui Clear tips........all of my cues have Kamui Clear soft & super soft except for my Prewitt cue which has the fabulous original Moori brown tips no longer made.

Matt B.

I don't have the experience that you do but my cue maker gave me a cue to try with a Kamuii Clear SS and I love it. No glazing and consistent. My current Bubinga and the Brazilian Rosewood which is almost finished will all have the Kamuui Clear.

Would love to see some pics of your personal collection.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me Ive been using lepro tips for a very long time, I tried so many Kamui tips to see which one is for me, but nothing worked for me, but thats just my experience with them, I've tried the blacks, browns kamui, from soft to hard. For me when I play with kamui I tend to miscue alot, I know some people would say the miscue isn't from the tip and it's all in the stroke , but with lepro or sniper I don't miscue at all, and whenever I switch to kamui, I kinda miscue every day once or twice, maybe it's the tip or not, but that what happens.

For me it's always been a good lepro that works for me, if there isn't a lepro I go with sniper and it is a very good tip from Tiger.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Kamui Black Medium for a while now, no glazing, no mushrooming, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary B........I guess I could photos of my cues' ferrules with Kamui Clear tips........I should have done that today.......My Owen cues has three shafts too....all Kamui Clear tips.

I'd gladly post photos of my cues on this thread but I'm presuming that most Azers that browse different sections of the Forum, like the Cue Gallery, have previously seen pics of my cues and so I don't want to come across as some schmuck posting photos of their every chance they get. I'm sure if you used the search feature in The Cue Gallery and entered Bavafongoul, there'd be a variety of pics of all my cues.
at
Anyway, like I wrote, I wanted to avoid behaving like an egomaniac trolling the Forum looking for any reason to flash-post their cues.......mine are actually mediocre compared to others I've seen on the Forum.......there were a few cue designs that took my breath away........I'm sure you & others have seen cues like that. I have every hope that the two cues I have underway will turn out to be that type design.

Matt B.