Racking

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racking over and over at the opponents request is slowing good streaming matches down. 1 re rack if an opponent racks type tournament is enough.

Last weekend's matches hosted by AZB and NY City Grind was hard to watch some matches. Constant re racking., Although the finals I believe had no re racks needed.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is why Magic Rack is so good. Match time is used to playing not racking. Another one is neutral racker and you can check rack but cannot get re-rack or maybe 1 time whole match.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong

Didn't they start Turning Stone requiring the Magic Rack (since they were a main sponsor), then had to ditch it because it wasn't holding the balls together?

They were using a triangle in the last couple of days on the TV table, right?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Racking the 9-Ball on the spot would stop much of this nonsense about racking.

That is why Magic Rack is so good. Match time is used to playing not racking. Another one is neutral racker and you can check rack but cannot get re-rack or maybe 1 time whole match.

The problem with the magic rack is it creates a "dead ball" in the corner pocket. It's more like a trick shot than a break shot.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with the magic rack is it creates a "dead ball" in the corner pocket. It's more like a trick shot than a break shot.

But moving it forward makes the 1 in the side easier to make without having to pull it as much with follow on the cb.
I think the rack should be a half diamond further away from the breaker, as that takes away the corner, the one, and the nine. Might even bring back the hard break..... ;)
Chuck

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Didn't they start Turning Stone requiring the Magic Rack (since they were a main sponsor), then had to ditch it because it wasn't holding the balls together?

Accu-Racks don't have that issue... Hoping to have the time and budget to get behind them this year... We have the SOLO and a new 9ball template for the guys that have to have a dedicated rack for it... We used it in new Jersey playing 8ball in the make it happen event and everyone had good things to say about them.....

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Accu-Racks don't have that issue... Hoping to have the time and budget to get behind them this year... We have the SOLO and a new 9ball template for the guys that have to have a dedicated rack for it... We used it in new Jersey playing 8ball in the make it happen event and everyone had good things to say about them.....

Agreed. Those racks at the Sandcastle event in New Jersey worked very well.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What needs to be eliminated is the dead-ball in the corner pocket

But moving it forward makes the 1 in the side easier to make without having to pull it as much with follow on the cb.
I think the rack should be a half diamond further away from the breaker, as that takes away the corner, the one, and the nine. Might even bring back the hard break..... ;)
Chuck

The one in the side isn't any easier, although it does require a different tip-target on the cue ball (cut-break). What needs to be eliminated is the dead-ball generated by the magic rack, or players racking their own. It's equivalent to Barry Bonds hitting off a ball machine, or tossing the baseball up and hitting it out of the park. :boring:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The one in the side isn't any easier, although it does require a different tip-target on the cue ball (cut-break). What needs to be eliminated is the dead-ball generated by the magic rack, or players racking their own. It's equivalent to Barry Bonds hitting off a ball machine, or tossing the baseball up and hitting it out of the park. :boring:

So how hard should the break be?? Well how difficult? Should it be 100% random and up to the pool goods to make a ball? How about about the same as a spot shot? That would be close to 100% for the guys that practice.... 70%? This is where the arguments always fall down... If you hit the break good should you know you get your reward or have to hope? If you hit it bad shouldn't you know it when it leaves the tip of your cue?

So some less than great players learn the break shot... The percentages still are at best 52-60% in favor of the breaker and if you take the guys out that actually "practice" it we are back to the late 80s early 90s stats of grip it and rip it where Fleming says you are better off without the break....

May favorite comment about the break was from the Open a few years ago when Sigel and Earl got beat by some kid from MN.... I watched Sigel's match and it was awesome... he hit the rack the same speed from the same spot every time and never made a ball... his comment to the crowd was I hit em dead perfect every time.. Hard and hope.... Insanity really doesn't have the definition of doing the same thing over and over expecting different results but that day... That definition worked.......

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
From our research only 1% of the general public would watch pool on TV

So how hard should the break be?? Well how difficult? Should it be 100% random and up to the pool goods to make a ball? How about about the same as a spot shot? That would be close to 100% for the guys that practice.... 70%? This is where the arguments always fall down... If you hit the break good should you know you get your reward or have to hope? If you hit it bad shouldn't you know it when it leaves the tip of your cue?

So some less than great players learn the break shot... The percentages still are at best 52-60% in favor of the breaker and if you take the guys out that actually "practice" it we are back to the late 80s early 90s stats of grip it and rip it where Fleming says you are better off without the break....

May favorite comment about the break was from the Open a few years ago when Sigel and Earl got beat by some kid from MN.... I watched Sigel's match and it was awesome... he hit the rack the same speed from the same spot every time and never made a ball... his comment to the crowd was I hit em dead perfect every time.. Hard and hope.... Insanity really doesn't have the definition of doing the same thing over and over expecting different results but that day... That definition worked.......

The advantage of the breaker shouldn't be more than a percentage or two.

I like what Pat did where there was a mandatory roll out after the break. This is a good start, however, it still leaves some issues when producing a TV show. I've studied how entertainment effects human nature, and if there isn't an emotional attachment, the viewer averages 3 minutes before changing channels.

From our research only 1% of the general public would watch pool on TV, and even that 1% will probably average 3-5 minutes. This does present a production problem and to pursue outside the industry sponsors would be fruitless.

I presume people may watch longer on the web streamed matches, however, that doesn't do much for the game's growth and long-term vitality.

The game we have developed covers these issues, however, as you know "the knockers," won't like it no matter what. The true pool enthusiasts are in for a treat, because if all they've seen is "one-foul" it's only about 10-20% of the game's potential.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how hard should the break be?? Well how difficult? Should it be 100% random and up to the pool goods to make a ball? .

Yes, thats the way it was intended to be, and still should be. Pool isnt supposed to be setting up a cluster trick shot to start each game. With every "advancement" pool has had over the last several years, the game has suffered, and now its to the point where the game at the pro level is pretty much a joke. When racking and reracking takes longer than running a rack of 9 ball, something is wrong. Everybody keeps thinking of ways to change the rules or come up with new games to supposedly make it harder, all the while creating money making opportunities with "new and/or improved" equipment. News flash, the game WAS harder with slower cloth, no jump sticks or other various gimmicky equipment. Rules used to favor a strong offense and now the rules favor safety play.
With all these steps we have supposedly taken forward, it sure seems like the game has taken a giant leaps backwards when you compare the game of 25+ years ago to today. Shortsighted progress usually turns out to not be progress in the long run.
Rant over
Chuck

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well played CJ. You got into a topic that you can say something antagonistic:

You then get a response...

That can bridge to something that you can then bridge to your "new idea", "new game", "tv habits", "one foul", "80's/90's".... It's annoying reading your posts, same old drivel in every one.

I like what Pat did where there was a mandatory roll out after the break. This is a good start, however, it still leaves some issues when producing a TV show. I've studied how entertainment effects human nature, and if there isn't an emotional attachment, the viewer averages 3 minutes before changing channels.

From our research only 1% of the general public would watch pool on TV, and even that 1% will probably average 3-5 minutes. This does present a production problem and to pursue outside the industry sponsors would be fruitless.

I presume people may watch longer on the web streamed matches, however, that doesn't do much for the game's growth and long-term vitality.

The game we have developed covers these issues, however, as you know "the knockers," won't like it no matter what. The true pool enthusiasts are in for a treat, because if all they've seen is "one-foul" it's only about 10-20% of the game's potential.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

You're wrong. USOpen 2014... More specfically both sets with Dechaine and Orcollo. Not to mention some others... It creates all new Nonsense...

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why? The whole point of lagging it to decide who will get to break the first rack. So you are saying that I have to use SKILL to win the lag, so I can have a chance at being LUCKY on the break... What a crock of sh*t.

The magic rack speeds up the entire process, even if that means a ball is wired every time.

I like Chuck's idea of pushing the rack back a half diamond or whole diamond.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The slick/fast cloth has been the core of an additional problem

Why? The whole point of lagging it to decide who will get to break the first rack. So you are saying that I have to use SKILL to win the lag, so I can have a chance at being LUCKY on the break... What a crock of sh*t.

The magic rack speeds up the entire process, even if that means a ball is wired every time.

I like Chuck's idea of pushing the rack back a half diamond or whole diamond.

The break in pool is similar to shuffling cards, it was never intended to make the game so much easier, it's just necessary to create the next game's unique situations. Breaking and running out is not exciting, especially if it looks too easy.

The slick/fast cloth has been the core of an additional problem (besides taking the power-stroke out of the game), it allows the breaker to dominate the game.....and that's why the racking has become such an "art form," and an unnecessary problem waiting to happen again, and again, and again.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ah. We have been rackin 9-ball on spot probably 8 years now at every tournament here in Finland. I did not remember there U.S your tournaments are always different rules.. :wink:
Some tournaments also have that kitchen rule also..

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been national championships 6 years now but I believe they have also breakbox at 9-ball. 10-ball they have opposite breakbox that you have to shoot outside of the 9-ball breakbox...

Edit: Open tournaments they don't have usually breakboxes at all.

Last edited:

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yes but no problems at the final.