So, how much did he lose ?

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
You are remarkably adept at justifying your poor choice to yourself.

But no one else is buying it, least of all me.

Lou Figueroa

Not only do you turn people into HO's, you turn them into satyriasis. You should be ashamed of yourself.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
RELIABLE Word is JB has already started making considerable payments.
So, lay off the "he's not paying" posts.

THIS POST SHOULD BE QUOTED

JB will make everything good...imo
...if we were all in a pool hall right now, I got a feeling that if I offered to bet on the debt
being paid...I wouldn’t get much action.

Back in the 80s. A friend of mine lost a G-note more than he had on him....
...told the guy he would pay him next evening.
So early next evening, the guy who had the money coming loudly stated that he was
getting stiffed....so I asked him what he would sell the debt to me for...
...he said “I’ll take $500 right now.”....so I gave him $500...

I phoned my friend and told him I just saved him $500...but when you come in, go to
to the guy with the G-note....the doubter had to eat his heart out when I got the money...
...out of which I gave him half back in private....:smile:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Lol, now that is the mark of a professional spin master.... No if anyone sold their soul it was a guy who teamed up with a bunch of other dudes to "work" someone into a match thinking that they were stone cold stealing only to dog the many opportunities given to raise the bet so they were stuck dividing up 10k. Then, soulless, there was no "heart" left to go take that off again.

The fact is that 20 years your contributions to pool are nothing and your one memorable achievement will be that you beat John Barton in a match. No one will remember or care that you then chickened out of multiple offers to play again.

I am a mess for sure but at least i am not a nit. And win it lose i don't have to share because i have the heart to bet my own.

Last 2 sentences has me thinking John will eventually go off again. woof-woof-woof, then 5-4-3-2-1...blast off!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hi Lou;

When I saw this thread getting going I knew it would come around to yours and John's "Big Hassle @ Sandcastle" (hey, that would have been a great name for it).

Even though we have been over all of this in the previous thread(s) years ago, I will again state it exactly as it was.

If you will recall, I was carrying my green and brown leather Orvis man bag at the last night of the match at Sandcastle and yes it did have a little more than $10k inside anticipating a poss rematch.

After your win you'll recall I got you and John to shake hands and even take a couple pics together in an attempt at showing sportsmanship.

As you and your team were celebrating I absolutely approached you and asked if you'd like to run it back. I wasn't kidding. You said that you will talk with Mike and will get back to us. Next thing was that you and the team were going to go get dinner, iirc, it was that you guys were gonna go get a steak. And if you'll also remember from that thread where I explained all of this before, I believe I put it something like I made you an offer and wasn't gonna dry hump your leg on your way out the door about it.

So you guys went to dinner and I figured that maybe you and your boys were talking it over so John, Karen, Jamison, his wife and me all went to dinner also.

Bottom line, we never heard back and next thing we did hear was that you were getting on a plane heading for home.

It wasn't that you didn't hear me, you may not have thought I was serious or in all of the commotion perhaps you forgot it ??? but you def did say that you and Mike were gonna discuss it then poof, you were gone. Maybe the hanging around the unfamiliar pool room with $40k cash played into it, as well.

John was juggling rattlesnakes a couple days ago and got bit quite a few times. I honestly don't think he needs anyone kicking him further while he's down.

imo, of course.

best,
brian kc <------- has gone off a time or two myself (but no, not that spectacular) :D:sorry:

Brain,

I don't have many heroes, but I can honestly say you are one of them. I deeply admire your integrity and guts. I especially admire your self control. Wish I knew your secret.

Chris

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Tolerable cars may start at $66K but nice ones do not.
Mercedes S-class, BMW 7 series, Rolls Royce, Bentley, .....

My scale of decent starts much lower. Perhaps i should have used something else to convey the amount in question, like just numbers. :)

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never owned a JB case, but a few of my friends do and rave about their quality. I'm a bit of a go off myself sometimes, so I can relate to John's burden. When I hear he's paid off his debt to the bettors and player, I'll be buying my first JB case.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Last 2 sentences has me thinking John will eventually go off again. woof-woof-woof, then 5-4-3-2-1...blast off!

Nope. The corner has been fully turned. I will play for money because i am competitive. Also what i said in the video. All i meant is that i offered to play Lou many times and never needed permission to do so. He wants to paint things differently but the fact is that he ducked me for years and it wasn't until someone else stepped up with a scheme to goad me into a game that he finally agreed to play. And then the ensuing negotiation was a nightmare. As another good friend told me many years ago there is a fine line between heart and stupidity. I have been on that line most of my life.

Now i will just channel it into more worthwhile endeavors. But i love pool and won't stop playing. I will just approach it like i really love it and not as a way to feed my ego and insecurities.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I've never owned a JB case, but a few of my friends do and rave about their quality. I'm a bit of a go off myself sometimes, so I can relate to John's burden. When I hear he's paid off his debt to the bettors and player, I'll be buying my first JB case.

Well that's up to you. Not sure how you will track it as i won't be making any public listing. But thank you for considering our cases. In the meantime you can start designing using our online designer tool at the link below.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, now that is the mark of a professional spin master.... No if anyone sold their soul it was a guy who teamed up with a bunch of other dudes to "work" someone into a match thinking that they were stone cold stealing only to dog the many opportunities given to raise the bet so they were stuck dividing up 10k. Then, soulless, there was no "heart" left to go take that off again.

The fact is that 20 years your contributions to pool are nothing and your one memorable achievement will be that you beat John Barton in a match. No one will remember or care that you then chickened out of multiple offers to play again.

I am a mess for sure but at least i am not a nit. And win it lose i don't have to share because i have the heart to bet my own.

Come get it, big boy.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou;

I must agree, your body language in that photo is pretty funny but I'm still proud of you guys for getting that close. :smile:

fyi, I don't want to keep going around the mulberry bush because we already did it a few times and that was enough for me. I am a fan of accuracy though so here's my final pass at it.

as to why I would, I'm a little bit of an action hound and in all honesty, John was playing under his speed (def room to improve) and while he got beat he certainly wasn't annihilated, imo. I genuinely thought he could kick it up a notch and make things much more competitive.

I already explained that I made the offer in earnest once and you did hear me so seeing how you had just won like you did, I figured I shouldn't have to pester you about it, if you liked it you'd be more like, 'hell yes, I got tails.' And to be clear, I wasn't loving my side of it but I was willing to gamble and some folks have a real hard time understanding this. For anyone reading this who isn't really sure what the meaning of gambling is, it's making a wager that you actually have a real chance of losing. :rolleyes:

When I arrived at Sandcastle, room owner Ed steered me over to where you were with your team just before the start of that last day's match. Because of all that I was reading on az real time about the $$$ arguments that were still taking place, I came over and tossed my bag onto the table and said I had reinforcement money in there for JB and everyone had a chuckle then I proceeded to introduce myself since you and I never met before in person but certainly knew each other from azb. So, you did know who I was from here on az and just introduced in person.

I like both you Lou and John. Wish you guys would bury the hatchet but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Joey started this thread about another game and as the thread grew I knew this old topic would get folded in.

Anyone who used to go to The Rack in Detroit wouldn't think this is much of a big deal, at all.

best,
brian kc <---looking for another kind of bush besides mulberry ;)

Brian, regardless of introductions, I really had no clue who you were.

I don't follow every thread on AZ and back in 2014 your name meant nothing to me at Sandcastle -- *no idea* who you were, what your story and history on AZ was or anywhere else. Sorry, and I mean that sincerely. I'm sure you were ready to gamble -- I *now* have no doubt about that. But whatever you may have said at the time, did not register with me. So who's fault is that?

Your boy can still get played. When the dust settles, give me some notice, tell him to practice up (don't want any more excuses), and buy him a ticket to STL.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He will.

JB saying it was his choice to go off the other day is like a crack addict saying they had a choice when someone dangled a glassine bag of crack in front of them.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Come get it, big boy.

Lou Figueroa

Come get what? Your opportunity is long gone. If you offered me the nuts you still won't get action with me. That's how little i care about you at this point in my life. I'd rather burn 20k on video than give you a shot at another dollar off mine. I'd rather French kiss a person with a severe case of covid19 than to play pool with you. I would rather let someone beat me to death with my Tad than to consider voluntarily being in the same room as you. When i said you're on my super short list of evil odius people i should have been clear that you're number one even above the guy who called my wife a 3$ mail order bride.

On top of that even if i did want to play you i already know you have no backers. And without backers you won't bet a quarter as has been firmly established not just in our relationship but by numbers accounts by o others who have known you forever.

So enjoy the brief time you to spend with me here. That's the best you're going to get. And again, anytime you want to promote our cases by telling your "story"is fine with me. You are and always have been a very good story teller.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Brain,

I don't have many heroes, but I can honestly say you are one of them. I deeply admire your integrity and guts. I especially admire your self control. Wish I knew your secret.

Chris

This is without a doubt, and not even close, the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me on azbilliards.

Would it have killed you to get my name spelling right? :D

Thank you very much.

best,
brian kc

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
He will.

JB saying it was his choice to go off the other day is like a crack addict saying they had a choice when someone dangled a glassine bag of crack in front of them.

Lou Figueroa

Tell us more about your crack addiction? That would explain some things.

Gosh it's amazing that i have played hundreds of times and dozens of streamed matches and not gone off...

Yes it was my choice. My stupidity and ego and underlying psychological issues contributed of course but no one could have predicted that. The most i have gone off for in random action previously has been a couple grand. And i booked plenty of winners along the way. But the bottom line is that i am clear about it and not dodging responsibility.

Thank you for trying to blame it on addiction and to knock someone you call an addict but you're wrong and unethical as usual.

Lou, you're running out of ways to milk your most significant pool accomplishment. Knocking me is yelling at the sky. Despite all of your attempts i am successful and even when i get stupid and lose more money than you could ever imagine playing for i just dust off, get up and do better than even before.

You had a job widely regarded as lying for a living. My job is building high quality dependable products and selling them honestly. We could not be more different in how we approach life. I do however sincerely admire your ability to tell a story and if you're telling ours then i appreciate the attention. I will continue to keep learning and growing and enjoying this life. You're one part of it and a fading one.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one.

Most paid streams don't get even half the attention the stream in question is still getting days after it happened.

That just shows that pool players are way worse than old ladies when it comes to drama/gossip.

To bad you can't recoup some of the loss with the stream....

Jeff

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
This has merit. I don't think that competing for money is an issue. Just have to be smart and prepared.

John.

You play good considering you have the responsibilities of a career and family, however, i don't think you can bet as high as you do when you "go off" esp when playing your peers in terms of talent/knowledge.

Everyone has a comfort zone when it comes to a bet and i think you step out of yours.....you work for your money and you value it too much to put the amounts in play that you do.

Be honest with yourself, when you played Lou, Marks and now "Austin" what % of your "normal" game did you play......I'll venture a guess it was no more than 75%.

The only way to get over the yipes or pocket "titty" syndrome when playing for $$$ out of your comfort zone is either drugs, seasoning (which can be VERY expensive) or having no regard for $$$.

This is moot if you catch a stone, cold sucker and you have a significant talent advantage, however, it seems like you don't look for that type of action.

It's OK to have the nuts, no?

Take care, adam

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This is without a doubt, and not even close, the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me on azbilliards.

Would it have killed you to get my name spelling right? :D

Thank you very much.

best,
brian kc

Oh, sorry I was talking about somebody else. My bad! :wink2: