Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page How else would you aim this ?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-02-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Nice try but, no cigar.
Sorry to bother you man. Just thought I'd bring up old acquaintance.

Old
  (#17)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I believe he wanted to penetrate the pack and make sure his cue ball would be past the middle of the table.
You're probably right. He crushed it with what looked like strong top. Not like him to cold bust a combination that didn't need power. If he just worked into that three ball cluster with the 2 ball on its right side, he would have had 3 easy shots and worked his way to the 7 for a break ball. There were 12 balls out there. Just seems odd. What a crazy neat guy.

Old
  (#18)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Somebody needs to teach that poor bastard CTE.
Mike didn't need it, but you guys could certainly benefit by actually learning how to aim.

Last edited by cookie man; 10-03-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Old
  (#19)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Funny how he "accidentally" broke his stick.

I know it was Mike, one of the greatest players in history, but that wasn't a smart shot. If I had been his opponent, and he didn't break his stick right then, I'd have said, "You fell into my trap", and then he'd have broken his stick.
Really.........I hope you realize he put himself in that position and no one else. In other words, no opponent left him that shot......he did it himself.

That is one of those shots I call trying to do too much.

Trying to make a combo and open the rack.

To me, he was going for position on the 8 to open up the rack but the 6 got in the way of that so he went for the combo to try to open the rack.

That change where into the rack the CB would be going. Going off just the 8 would have put the CB into the cluster of balls just above and right of the 8.

Going off the 6 would have put the CB into the more opened balls above.

Based on the speed of the shot, I believe he was trying to force the CB to go into the the tighter cluster that he was trying for off the 8.

Like I said......trying to do much on a shot.

And.........there was no overcut.

Old
  (#20)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
Really.........I hope you realize he put himself in that position and no one else. In other words, no opponent left him that shot......he did it himself.

That is one of those shots I call trying to do too much.

Trying to make a combo and open the rack.

To me, he was going for position on the 8 to open up the rack but the 6 got in the way of that so he went for the combo to try to open the rack.

That change where into the rack the CB would be going. Going off just the 8 would have put the CB into the cluster of balls just above and right of the 8.

Going off the 6 would have put the CB into the more opened balls above.

Based on the speed of the shot, I believe he was trying to force the CB to go into the the tighter cluster that he was trying for off the 8.

Like I said......trying to do much on a shot.

And.........there was no overcut.

Yes I realize he left himself that shot. Hell, I've broke and ran a rack then broke and scratched, only to hear my opponent say "you fell into my trap". Lol. I think it's even funnier like that, after a guy has run a dozen balls or pulled out a 3 pack. It's insinuating that you anticipated or plotted a multi-move trap (like in chess).

I agree he was probably trying too much with one shot.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#21)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Somebody needs to teach that poor bastard CTE.
Maybe he needed the poolology book..?

Old
  (#22)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/zZv_4OvNcIg?t=129

and not break your stick after scratching.
Make sure you take all this good advice, from the pro's at AZ, about what Mike should have shot back to him on your next uber ride

Old
  (#23)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-05-2019, 12:22 PM

And so far, nobody has answered the question.
But, the person who claims he has people on ignore, keeps stalking them.

Old
  (#24)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

10-05-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And so far, nobody has answered the question.
But, the person who claims he has people on ignore, keeps stalking them.
He aimed it just fine. Made the ball.
I don't claim to have anyone on ignore, so why bring that up

Old
  (#25)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
He aimed it just fine. Made the ball.
I don't claim to have anyone on ignore, so why bring that up
I didn't know you were stalking people.
It's the other dude who claimed he has people on ignore.

What is funny is, Mike claimed you can't throw balls.
But, on that shot, it appears to me he aimed to over cut the first ball because the throw would make the second ball short of the pocket.

Old
  (#26)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I believe he wanted to penetrate the pack and make sure his cue ball would be past the middle of the table.
Yes, he took a chance there. The problem with stunning is that you'll be close to the rack and you can end up frozen or without a shot. Mike figured he wanted clear of the pack, but that opens up the possibility of a scratch. Nothing is free in this game. For the record, I'd have lined it up just like Mike. Contact points rules for combinations.

Old
  (#27)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Mike claimed you can't throw balls.
But, on that shot, it appears to me he aimed to over cut the first ball because the throw would make the second ball short of the pocket.
I think that illustrates a fundamental truth about aiming in pool: we learn to aim by rote memorization - we recognize the successful alignment not because we can see that it's geometrically correct, but because it's what worked before. Any belief about how it works can fit that.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#28)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

10-15-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
...What is funny is, Mike claimed you can't throw balls.
I have heard this repeated for years on this forum.

When and where did he ever say this?

The reason I ask, I got this video in 1987ish.

And on the tape, Sigel explains he shoots most cut shots with a little outside to counteract friction induced throw. So he clearly knew it was possible in the 80s. But it seems like one of those things that gets repeated to make a point that one of the best players of all time didnt know shit from shinola.

It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#29)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

10-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
I have heard this repeated for years on this forum.

When and where did he ever say this?

The reason I ask, I got this video in 1987ish.

And on the tape, Sigel explains he shoots most cut shots with a little outside to counteract friction induced throw. So he clearly knew it was possible in the 80s. But it seems like one of those things that gets repeated to make a point that one of the best players of all time didnt know shit from shinola.
In his BD instructional article.

Old
  (#30)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

10-15-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
In his BD instructional article.
Possibly a context issue?

Again, he knows and knew then that balls throw.

Anybody have a link to or copy of the article?

It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: