Reload this Page Mickey Holiday
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Mickey Holiday
Old
  (#1)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Mickey Holiday - 09-03-2020, 10:38 AM

I received a wonderful e-mail from this gentleman a few days ago. He described to me his career in billiards and the many tournaments and players he competed against. He grew up in the Benton Harbor and Grand Rapids area of Michigan and knew (and played against) all the players from Harold Worst to Bob Hunter to Mark Beilfuss to Jimmy Mataya, scoring some victories as well as incurring some losses. He would be in his 80's now.

I'm just wondering who on here knows this man. I'm sure our paths may have crossed but I can't really place him. He played many of the same guys I competed against around Ohio.

I would like to post his letter on here. It's full of great information, including the final standings of the World Straight Pool Championship held in New York in 1966. It was a fifteen man Round Robin event. So far I have not been able to post his letter to me here. If someone knows how to do that, please let me know and I will forward it to you. Thanks

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#2)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-03-2020, 11:39 AM

He hung around Park Billiards in Neptune N.J. in the early 60's.
That was my room as a kid but I dont remember much about him.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#3)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I received a wonderful e-mail from this gentleman a few days ago. He described to me his career in billiards and the many tournaments and players he competed against. He grew up in the Benton Harbor and Grand Rapids area of Michigan and knew (and played against) all the players from Harold Worst to Bob Hunter to Mark Beilfuss to Jimmy Mataya, scoring some victories as well as incurring some losses. He would be in his 80's now.

I'm just wondering who on here knows this man. I'm sure our paths may have crossed but I can't really place him. He played many of the same guys I competed against around Ohio.

I would like to post his letter on here. It's full of great information, including the final standings of the World Straight Pool Championship held in New York in 1966. It was a fifteen man Round Robin event. So far I have not been able to post his letter to me here. If someone knows how to do that, please let me know and I will forward it to you. Thanks
PM coming your way...

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#4)
thebark
AzB Silver Member
thebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond reputethebark has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Jay, I read an article in a magazine from the 60's about Harold Worst. In the article it said that the only guy Harold was afraid of was a billiard player from Michigan named Jack Foreaker. I've asked tons of oldtimers about him but nobody has ever heard of him. Can you ask this guy if he ever heard of Jack?

Old
  (#5)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebark View Post
Jay, I read an article in a magazine from the 60's about Harold Worst. In the article it said that the only guy Harold was afraid of was a billiard player from Michigan named Jack Foreaker. I've asked tons of oldtimers about him but nobody has ever heard of him. Can you ask this guy if he ever heard of Jack?
I've not only heard of him, but I saw him play in Detroit in 1963. He had a reputation as a formidable hustler. They just called him Foreaker. I will ask Mickey about him. I'm sure he knows of him.

Old
  (#6)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Is this Mickey related to the Holliday he wrote a book about High Runs in 14.1 ?

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#7)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-04-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I've not only heard of him, but I saw him play in Detroit in 1963. He had a reputation as a formidable hustler. They just called him Foreaker. I will ask Mickey about him. I'm sure he knows of him.
Ask Mickey about Ernie Lager ,Fast Eddie and One Poke from Neptune N.J..
Thanks,

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#8)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2020, 10:52 AM

Here you go Jay, sorry it took so long, I don't generally get on the computer on weekends
Attached Images

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#9)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

09-05-2020, 10:53 AM

Edited to put images in individual posts so it's easier to read.
Attached Images

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#10)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

09-05-2020, 10:53 AM

Post #3....
Attached Images

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#11)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

09-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Last one
Attached Images

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#12)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

09-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Man, what a great read. I'll have to show this to a buddy of mine who grew up in Detroit and played with some well known players.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#13)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-05-2020, 11:29 AM

thats a great read and life
thanks jay and chili palmer

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebark View Post
I used to have lunch sometimes with Baby Face and Jack Foraker...and a couple times
Jimmy Moore was in our group.
It was said that Foraker was Willie Hoppe’s speed....but chose the action route.

He showed some guys a carom situation...cue ball center table, red ball in the corner, other
ball in the kitty corner...showed three ways of making the carom..but wanted $100 for the
4th way. A few years later, Larry Johnson showed me the best way..rail first, twice around
the table. But that was on a heated slate, I don’t know if I could do it on the conditions
Forakers played under...he was a big powerful man.

Forakers told me about the time he took Jimmy Moore to Pontiac for bar action..the guy
would only play for $2...Jimmy played anyway...the guy had a bumpy old stroke, and ran
22 racks on him...Jimmy couldn’t stop laughing, when he broke dry on the 23rd break,
Jimmy put away his cue. When he’s telling me this, he was laughing again. Foraker asked
“What are you laughing about? It cost us $44.”

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

09-06-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
Man, what a great read. I'll have to show this to a buddy of mine who grew up in Detroit and played with some well known players.
Thanks so much for posting this. I thought it was a great letter worth sharing on here. There were guys like Mickey in every corner of the country back then, good "shortstops" who were capable of giving anyone a tough time on the table. These were guys I played and learned from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: