Owning Cues Over $1000? Is there a big risk of getting it stolen?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
most people in a pool room don't know what's a valuable cue vs a cheap cue that was made to look flashy. Thieves are opportunists and a handbag, phone, pool cue, etc etc left unattended can be too much for them to resist.

When in a public room or bar, keep an eye on your cue and if you have to leave for a bathroom break or whatever, have a friend watch it for you while you take your break. Some guys I know take their sticks in with them to the bathroom. That's a little much for me but their sticks def stay safe that way - well, except maybe for the nastiness of certain bathroom. :eek:

Enjoy your cue.

best,
brian kc

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
We go to pool halls to shoot pool and socialize. We do not go for the purpose of guarding or watching our cues. We do not always keep our sticks in our hands. Often times we lean them against something. Hell, they make a bunch of products to help us lean them. While your cue is leaning, you are talking, maybe drinking, but definitely not thinking about your cue. I've seen people leave their sticks and walk three tables down to say hello to a friend they have not seen in years or to a good looking girl they met last night. Are they thinking about their cue? That's when it happens.

I always "park" my case underneath my table. One of my friends would only watch someone's stick/case if put underneath his table. Underneath a table is a safe place because no one is supposed to be getting anything from underneath one. People walk around and pick up sticks in a pool hall all of the time

Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the stories from my poolhall about stolen cues were:

1. I left my cue in the car and the cue and case were stolen out of it.
2. I left my cue unattended or on the table and walked away from it.
3. I let so and so borrow the cue and they lost it gambling.

If there are only regulars during the day I leave it on the table. But I keep my eyes open for strangers. If its at night or its busy I take it with me (snack bar, bathroom), or ask someone I am familiar with to watch it.

It only takes seconds for someone to break down a valuable cue and put it in a case.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone needs solid training on caring for their cue in public, they should buy a sneaky pete first and get some experience. :thumbup2:

Yes sir, a good sneaky is the way to go in my opinion, and you are less likely to get jacked-up at gun point on the way to the car when leaving. Just a good sneaky in a cheap soft case will attract less attention. It's all about flying under the radar.

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
I just bought a Pat Diveney cue used. New I bet it was worth around $3000 brand new. I have never owned a expensive cue and have always shot with a cue that cost about 400.00. Is it a good idea to use a cue this expensive in a public pool hall.

I only bought it for the playability as I have heard they have a nice hit. Maybe there is a way to make it look like a less expensive cue somehow.

Thanks for the replies.

Take a pee, take your cue with you, take a krap take your cue with you, you getting the idea?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played for 51 years. Never had or know of a stolen cue where I’ve played.

I doubt if a thief would know a $50 cue from a $500 one. I wouldn’t always know.

We have some nice cues donated to our legion. Likely a dozen or so that have decent value. They have been on the racks for years.

I cycle every day. Have for decades. My bike is worth $300 or so...no idea what are the $2000 priced bikes where I chain up. Howevever, most thefives are likely to steal mine if it’s not secured.

90% of thieves and criminals are stupid or dopeheads. I can’t imagine one here ‘out to steal cues’. More likely to rifle through unlocked cars in the parking lot.

Last edited:

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its sounds like the consensus is keep an eye on it. That's what I will do. And if I am in a sketchy part of town I will bring my cheap cue. Thanks for all the replies!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do any pool halls have, say, 10 lockers where you could lock your cue up with a combination lock (that you bring with you) while you go to the bathroom? It sounds like lockers should be considered mandatory equipment for a pool room.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't feel at too much risk for having my Schon stolen. I carry it with me most places though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do any pool halls have, say, 10 lockers where you could lock your cue up with a combination lock (that you bring with you) while you go to the bathroom? It sounds like lockers should be considered mandatory equipment for a pool room.

In the old days, many poolrooms (mine included) had cue lockers that players could rent. I had twenty lockers and charged $5 a month to rent one. They stayed full most ot the time.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I go to a pool hall I always take my cue into the toilet with me. There is a big risk of getting anything other than a house cue stolen.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When I go to a pool hall I always take my cue into the toilet with me. There is a big risk of getting anything other than a house cue stolen.

the good house cues can be easily misplaced at the pool room, it travels the wall quite a bit

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have a players cue, play with it and keep a close eye on it.
If you think it’s a collectors cue, put it in a closet.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I have played with the same Scruggs for fifteen years. It is a thing of beauty, but, ultimately, it is a fine tool that enables, or encourages, me to shoot the best I can. Confidence in one's tools contributes to success in many areas -- I have guns that I regard similarly. I bought this cue to play with not to sit it in a closet. If someone rips me off, I will want to replace it, and the market will dictate the replacement cost. This is where insurance comes in. My sentimental loss would go uncompensated, but at a minimum, I would be able to get another Scruggs without also having to endure the financial sting.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I always take my cue into the toilet with me.

As a pool player, I would say taking the cue to the bathroom with you is totally understandable. If you take it to bed with you, then it starts getting a little weird (unless it's a Szamboti or a Balabushka). Into the the toilet - I don't know, maybe if it's carbon fiber. :wink:

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I guess I have discovered the advantage of playing with the same crappy cue for the duration of my pool playing career...lol. Some have argued that the perceived quality of the cue doesn't matter, but I know shiney things attract the simplest of minds.

The only value I place on my cue is the intimate knowledge I have of what I need to do to make it do the things I want. Otherwise I wouldn't be more than annoyed if someone nabbed it. That said when I'm out of my home room, and not actively in a match, I do keep it on my person at all times. This is the main reason I bought a JB case with the double shoulder straps.

I know of people that have had cues stolen. All of them were at major (regional or national) events where there are several hundred if not a 1000 players all with their own cues. The odds of finding your lost loved one in that situation is non-exisitent.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
As others have already told you on here, any cue can get stolen! It's as simple as that. I can't tell you how many times a poolplayer has asked me to "watch" his cue while he's in the restroom and I have done the same thing.

I've had a cue that I paid $5 for stolen from me in a bar in Richmond, Indiana, and I've had my Ginacue stolen from the truck of my car when it was taken for a joyride by a couple of kids. I got the car back but not the cue. The lesson there was that I should never have left the cue in the car.

I've been in a money game with people watching and left my cue on the table in front of them, and went to the restroom between games. When I came back a couple of minutes later it was gone and no one saw anything. I looked around and some guy was playing with my cue a couple of tables over. I went over and asked him to give me back my cue and he appeared surprised, telling me he thought it was a "house" cue for anyone to use.

Use your new cue and enjoy it. That's why you bought it. But heed the advice you are getting on here! It could be gone in a moment if you don't.

Well I am sure the $5.00 Cue had more value if you were playing with it, must have been a money winner, or you would not be using it.

Fellow comes back into our local pool room after leaving several minutes before, he is looking all over like a child lost in a crowd.

What you looking for I ask, he replied my "Cue Case". Apprently before leavening the building he decided to take a pee, set the Cue case by the sink, went to grab it, the thing was gone in 60 seconds.

Thought he left it in Pool room, no such luck, this was a SR. In a SR. community. old thieves retire some place, guess we have one in our community.

People do steal if you give them opportunity, even if you just taking a pee.:mad:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven’t read all the replies but here is my 2 cents
If you go to a new room or your old room on a very crowded night where you don’t know everyone
You need to keep your eyes open and take necessary precautions with your equipment
Since someone in the crowd could be looking for an opportunity to steal yours or anyone’s stuff.
If you are in your main room when it’s not too crowded I think you can relax your guard some
In my room when it’s not super busy
if I know the players next to me I am comfortable laying my cue on the table
And asking them to watch it while I go to the bathroom
My cue is worth over 1k

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Sometimes it's the regulars who take it and act upset right with you that someone would do that.

Most of the stories from my poolhall about stolen cues were:

1. I left my cue in the car and the cue and case were stolen out of it.
2. I left my cue unattended or on the table and walked away from it.
3. I let so and so borrow the cue and they lost it gambling.

If there are only regulars during the day I leave it on the table. But I keep my eyes open for strangers. If its at night or its busy I take it with me (snack bar, bathroom), or ask someone I am familiar with to watch it.

It only takes seconds for someone to break down a valuable cue and put it in a case.