Current posters who were around for RSB or alt.sport pool please sign in

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there -- Aol dial-up -- not sure of the year, but I bet Bob J. knows when my first post was.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been around awhile

I was on RSB I think maybe 1997?
Met up with several members for the us open straight pool in nyc in 2000- Lou, Freddie, Jimbo, Gideon and others. Also a RSB event at us open 9 ball at Qmasters.

Maybe bob Jewett. Can find my DOB...

Mark griffin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was there -- Aol dial-up -- not sure of the year, but I bet Bob J. knows when my first post was.

Probably something along the lines of....

Many years ago at Kip's Pool Hall in Berkeley they had a pool set with 21
numbered balls -- a full row of six more behind the usual fifteen ball
triangle. I don't remember how they were patterned. ...

posted on October 31st, 1997.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was on RSB I think maybe 1997?
Met up with several members for the us open straight pool in nyc in 2000- Lou, Freddie, Jimbo, Gideon and others. Also a RSB event at us open 9 ball at Qmasters.

Maybe bob Jewett. Can find my DOB...

Mark griffin
That would be Dec. 6, 1997 in a post about a cue swap that was going to be held at Campbell Billiards in Northern California. You were in Alaska at the time.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found my earliest post 6/3/95 under aaboutpool Back in those days "allaboutpool" as a handle was too long.

Bob

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread prompted me to go and look at the rec.sport.billiard site that google still runs. About the first thing I ran into was a thread about Arnot cues that was started by the dear, departed Smorgass Bored. Amazingly it has had a post this month, the first since 1999. It seems that people somehow end up on the site, perhaps on a search, and post responses to very old threads.

Here is the Arnot-related post:

xant...@gmail.com

Jun 13

Visiting a Cuemaker

This thread is rediculous. Half fan page and half troll. I decided to look up this cuemaker since I just aquired one. Guy from Florida was here in Houston the other day at Big Tyme Billiards. He had an ego on him that makes me wonder if there are any decent players in Florida since he thought no one could beat him.
Anyways...
He decided he was going to start gambling. After Ernesto took a few grand from him he decided to look for others he might get some back off of. Found me. I took his last $700 off of him and he was about to quit. I talked a bit of trash and told him my wife could beat him and she's only starting. That was true to an extent since she just started APA and hasn't moved up from the 3 he saw her ranked at on the first weeks score sheet. Lol. Since he didn't have anything to play for left I put his $700 up against his stick. So now my wife and I own one.
Now I can honestly say it has a good shaft on it. But the butt leaves a lot to be desired. And no it's not about the design. I live 8 blocks from Richard Blacks shop in Humble and shot with a few of them. Own a Joss, Jacoby, Jerry Oliver, Meucci and McDermott (sentimental reasons on it). Played with countless more. This honestly reminds me of the kinds of sticks you'd get from Marbro miles back in the day. It belongs on a Walmart shelf. Wrap is loose, tip isnt just a mushroom it's a portobello and the cheap bumper is biodegradable or something because it's crumbling apart. One good thing is it was FREE! Now I'm going to do the same thing with it I've done with many other pieces of junk I've taken off of jerks who would rather run their mouth than just enjoy playing a friendly game for the fun of the game.... I'm going to donate it to the VA so they have more pieces of junk on their wall they can call better than nothing.​

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think I started on RSB/ASP in 1996 or so. Don't remember when we first heard about AzB, but I remember it was considered a "safe space" for snowflakes who couldn't stand impoliteness. :)

pj <- miss being able to speak my (so called) mind
chgo
After searching Google's usenet archive, the earliest RSB post of mine that I find is in January of 1998. Bob Jewett, do you find anything earlier?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After searching Google's usenet archive, the earliest RSB post of mine that I find is in January of 1998. Bob Jewett, do you find anything earlier?

pj
chgo
That's the first one I see. It was about the price of Moori tips.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
About the first thing I ran into was a thread about Arnot cues that was started by the dear, departed Smorgass Bored.
My favorite post of Smorg's was the one about beating Billy Bob Something-or-other out of his "Bob". If you run across that one please cut/paste it.

pj <- could use a little Smorg about now
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite post of Smorg's was the one about beating Billy Bob Something-or-other out of his "Bob". If you run across that one please cut/paste it.
I remember the post but I couldn't find it in my archives. I did find the one about the hustle of knocking over a bowling pin with a deck of cards by throwing one card at a time the length of the alley.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I remember the post but I couldn't find it in my archives. I did find the one about the hustle of knocking over a bowling pin with a deck of cards by throwing one card at a time the length of the alley.
Funny, I was just telling somebody about that bet. :)

Smorg is missed...

pj
chgo

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found a 2000 post of mine, but I know I was there beforehand because that post mentions the Weitable and I was definitely active when Wei first posted his now-defunct cuetable.

I may have changed user names when I had to switch to dejanews to access RSB.

Ya'll are old!

Last edited:

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a series of posts when someone tried browbeating Pechauer into making
short spliced cues rather than cnc. I can't seem to find this in the archives,does anyone remember this??