Does a ideal example of"perfect form" exist?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If so who?
As an instructor if you had to tell a group- "this is the player you most want to
emulate"- who would it be? I know if it is 1on1 instruction, differant examples
may be given that better suit the individual.
Thanks to any who reply.

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor, so take this with a grain of salt, but I saw Jason Klatt for the first time at SBE, and I could not get over how consistent and textbook perfect his pre-shot routine, stance, and stroke are. It was really something to see.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot pick a specific person to try to "emulate". We are all built differently, think differently, learn differently and perceive differently, so there can never be a 'one size fits all' in pool or snooker. The key is to find one's own "perfect template", and work from there. This is what we teach in pool school.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

If so who?
As an instructor if you had to tell a group- "this is the player you most want to
emulate"- who would it be? I know if it is 1on1 instruction, differant examples
may be given that better suit the individual.
Thanks to any who reply.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot pick a specific person to try to "emulate". We are all built differently, think differently, learn differently and perceive differently, so there can never be a 'one size fits all' in pool or snooker. The key is to find one's own "perfect template", and work from there. This is what we teach in pool school.

Scott Lee

Scott I addressed this in original post. There is no one
e you would recomend to a group?perhaps with the caveat ,"we all are differant note how well this style suits.....".

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
"Perfect form" by that I am assuming you mean machine like ? but since we are human and not machines you will find many variations on a theme however for precision and accuracy you will also find many similarities among the top (insert the "S" word) players.

For a master class in timing, consistency, rhythm and laser straight cue action and a player I would model my form after if I were starting out.
Shaun Murphy
http://youtu.be/eAkzMDXx2gw

Sorry I could not find a pool player with the required mechanics to qualify.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Buddy Hall?

randyg

Kind of what i was thinking. Steve Cook is another good one.
Easier to find Hall then Cook.

Honestly lady players like either of the Fishers would be good.

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Perfect form" by that I am assuming you mean machine like ? but since we are human and not machines you will find many variations on a theme however for precision and accuracy you will also find many similarities among the top (insert the "S" word) players.

For a master class in timing, consistency, rhythm and laser straight cue action and a player I would model my form after if I were starting out.
Shaun Murphy
http://youtu.be/eAkzMDXx2gw

Sorry I could not find a pool player with the required mechanics to qualify.

I'm not a fan of Murphy, but his cue action is as close to perfect as you get, in my opinion.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I could not recommend a single player for a group...too many variables to consider (if I did pick someone, it might be a German like Thorsten or Ralf). I could, however, tell them to look for someone built similarly to themselves and perhaps model themselves after them. The problem is that the person being modeled might have quirks in their fundamentals that they have worked out after many years, but I wouldn't want to teach that to someone (i.e.: Hopkins short poke stroke...works great for him, but I would not teach it to someone else).

Scott Lee

Scott I addressed this in original post. There is no one
e you would recomend to a group?perhaps with the caveat ,"we all are differant note how well this style suits.....".

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a student, I can say that if an instructor picked out one particular player for me to try to emulate, I would run away fast.

I try to emulate aspects of various great players' fundamentals, but it's up to me to figure out which of those aspects fit me. The instructor has me at the table for a couple hours at a time, I have me at the table all the rest of the time.

FWIW I actually watch the gals for these things as much as the guys. What they lack in brute strength they more than make up for in timing and touch.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a student, I can say that if an instructor picked out one particular player for me to try to emulate, I would run away fast.

I try to emulate aspects of various great players' fundamentals, but it's up to me to figure out which of those aspects fit me. The instructor has me at the table for a couple hours at a time, I have me at the table all the rest of the time.

FWIW I actually watch the gals for these things as much as the guys. What they lack in brute strength they more than make up for in timing and touch.

Yes, we all have our own little idiosyncrasies that we must incorporate. However, the OP asked for what appears to be a perfect setup. He didn't ask for what we should all copy. The one I provided is very "textbook". "Textbook" is the general guideline to use, not the exact copy for everyone. One should try and follow the purpose of the guidelines, not necessarily the exact movements.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright you guys:wink:
No one needs to defend their picks,because no one REALLY
should question other's suggestion.
This isn't a aiming thread lets keep it civil.

Thanks to all!