Most racks ever run on a Valley bar box

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So, I was watching some APA videos out of pure curiosity, and while I certainly was not shocked by the number of racks run ;) (maybe I was unlucky with the videos I chose IDK), I started wondering; what if someone really, really, really good tried to run the highest possible number of 8ball racks on this thing? I'm not talking about a shortstop, but a real, bonafide pro. Surely the sky is the limit?

I remember running 4 racks from the first break in the university rec room alone, trying to relax after an exam. I had never played on a bar box before and I was a C-player then. My high run on the 9 footer at the time was 3 racks...Did I get lucky, or is it this much easier? I've never played on a Valley since, though I have very rarely tried on other brands of bar boxes with bar cues without tips etc.. and have never played on a bar box with my own cue (not counting UK 8 ball, which I have played plenty of). So I'm not really sure how many I could run now. I have a Brunswick Bristol 7 footer that I have been meaning to restore, packed away. Not exactly the same of course, but maybe close enough? This calls for an experiment, lol. How many have you APA guys run?

Strictly

Registered
9 ball might be a different story but 8 ball on a bar box is anyone's game at any given time, the tables 60% smaller [quoting some figures from on here could be bs for all I know ] but obviously quite a bit smaller than 9 ft and the balls create congestion that at some point or another creates some kind of hiccup when it comes to straight break and running over and over. Just my .02.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont know the accuracy, but I've heard that Dave Matlock ran something like 18 racks one time. Wouldnt surprise me, he was a beast on the box.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
So, I was watching some APA videos out of pure curiosity, and while I certainly was not shocked by the number of racks run ;) (maybe I was unlucky with the videos I chose IDK), I started wondering; what if someone really, really, really good tried to run the highest possible number of 8ball racks on this thing? I'm not talking about a shortstop, but a real, bonafide pro. Surely the sky is the limit?

I remember running 4 racks from the first break in the university rec room alone, trying to relax after an exam. I had never played on a bar box before and I was a C-player then. My high run on the 9 footer at the time was 3 racks...Did I get lucky, or is it this much easier? I've never played on a Valley since, though I have very rarely tried on other brands of bar boxes with bar cues without tips etc.. and have never played on a bar box with my own cue (not counting UK 8 ball, which I have played plenty of). So I'm not really sure how many I could run now. I have a Brunswick Bristol 7 footer that I have been meaning to restore, packed away. Not exactly the same of course, but maybe close enough? This calls for an experiment, lol. How many have you APA guys run?

I don't know the answer, but I started playing on Valley's in university in the rec room. I have played very little on bar boxes in the last 10 years, but I did get my first break and run on one. I remember the last 8 a table length shot and I was sure I had missed it. Hit the rail quite a ways up and found its way in.

Really easy table and I'm sure a top notch player would only be stopped by an unkind break off.

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley Racks Run

Since I play nearly all my APA matches on a Valley bar box...32 years worth...I've seen lots of Break and Runs but not in long streaks. The Valley is tough, crowded and wild things happen. I've seen and done 3. I've seen 5 games in a row, 3 runs with two 8 on the breaks. I asked our league operator..NO perfect matches in the last 20 years on a Valley. (5 Break and Runs). Also, don't be fooled...running out on a Diamond IS NOT the same as running out on a Valley. The Valley is "slightly smaller" and more crowded. It is tougher period. Also, having to take what you make in APA is also tougher than BCA where the table is open after the break. This rule often crushes a break and run streak.

I would love to see video proof of multiple racks on a Valley bar box with an Aramith Coin Op cue ball using APA rules. Never seen more than 3 in Vegas. (16 trips for me.)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Since I play nearly all my APA matches on a Valley bar box...32 years worth...I've seen lots of Break and Runs but not in long streaks. The Valley is tough, crowded and wild things happen. I've seen and done 3. I've seen 5 games in a row, 3 runs with two 8 on the breaks. I asked our league operator..NO perfect matches in the last 20 years on a Valley. (5 Break and Runs). Also, don't be fooled...running out on a Diamond IS NOT the same as running out on a Valley. The Valley is "slightly smaller" and more crowded. It is tougher period. Also, having to take what you make in APA is also tougher than BCA where the table is open after the break. This rule often crushes a break and run streak.

I would love to see video proof of multiple racks on a Valley bar box with an Aramith Coin Op cue ball using APA rules. Never seen more than 3 in Vegas. (16 trips for me.)

Take what you make certainly makes it a lot tougher. I didn't realize that was the APA rule. Is the Aramith coin op ball heavier, more "dead"? Does it roll off? I'm intrigued now, actually. I'll try to locate one locally, though finding one in a place where they allow video recording will be difficult. Might have to buy one, lol.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Dont know the accuracy, but I've heard that Dave Matlock ran something like 18 racks one time. Wouldnt surprise me, he was a beast on the box.

I heard 28 racks of 8 ball for Ralf Souquet on a 9 footer...What a beast! Thank you, btw. Maybe Matlock has the record?

Last edited:

jh3rron

The Beard
Those Valley side pockets get me every time. Going just from a 8 footer to a bar box makes running out easier on me. That is when my heads in the game lol

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Back in the '80s

In the finals of a ladies tournament I saw Sandy Watson put 5 together. It was an 8 foot valley with the magnetic cue ball.

I have put 4 together twice on the same equipment. My favorite record is winning 22 straight without running a single rack, for $2 a game.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while" Meaning that even a C-player can sometimes hit a gear and run 3 racks. Extremely rarely, though.

Last edited:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a guy 8 ball on a bar box, race to 4 for 50. He wins set one 4 to 2. I win the next 3 sets by winning 3 coin tosses and running out 12 straight. I'm now up 100 and he quits. I said to him all you did was lose 3 coins tosses and rack 12 times. If it were me I'd have raised the bet and say do it again.

I don't play much 8 ball bar box. Once your break is right and you have a good runout strategy, you just have to make a ball every break and execute. I can't imagine what the highest amateur run would be, but it's got to be over 20.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a guy 8 ball on a bar box, race to 4 for 50. He wins set one 4 to 2. I win the next 3 sets by winning 3 coin tosses and running out 12 straight. I'm now up 100 and he quits. I said to him all you did was lose 3 coins tosses and rack 12 times. If it were me I'd have raised the bet and say do it again.

I don't play much 8 ball bar box. Once your break is right and you have a good runout strategy, you just have to make a ball every break and execute. I can't imagine what the highest amateur run would be, but it's got to be over 20.

Clusters are generally the problem when it comes to BB 8 ball. Forget what it was called but when Shane played Earl BB 8 ball neither one of them even came close to 20 racks, pretty sure neither made it to 10. Think Shane may have had an 8 or something like that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a repost from a 2011 thread when this subject was brought up before. I was 26 years old when I did this. I turned 62 on Easter and just a few months back I ran a 5-pack at Hawaiian Brian's on the 9-foot Gold Crowns and made the 9 on the break in the 6th game and the cue ball got kicked in the side or I would have had a 6-pack at least.

--------------------

9-ball ring game, 1981, Clark AB, Philippines Airmen's Club 7-foot bar table:

I strung 13 racks (combination of break & runs, combos, 9 on the break) before I missed the 7 in the 14th game, which game I won also. I then strung 9 more for 22 out of 23 racks total. Everybody quit.

Here is an link to another thread of the same subject a few years back.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=225427&highlight=strung

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=400956&highlight=Philippines+clark+racks

In edit: I've always said, "you have to get lucky on the break". If you don't make anything on the break, you will never get beyond the first rack.

Last edited:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clusters are generally the problem when it comes to BB 8 ball. Forget what it was called but when Shane played Earl BB 8 ball neither one of them even came close to 20 racks, pretty sure neither made it to 10. Think Shane may have had an 8 or something like that.

I was watching a CSI 8 ball on youtube. The pros were running out so easy. Probably getting out well over 80 percent of racks. It was alternating break race to 9. With these formats you would never get the chance to see big packages.

After the guy quit me I racked a 13th rack and broke dry. By then I figure the momentum was broken. It's just such a different game having all those choices of which ball to shoot and no truly difficult shots on a short table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I was having lunch when I was a kid with John Forakers and Jimmy Moore....
...John told me about the time they went to Pontiac MI....early 60s..the only action they could get was $2 8-ball on a bar box...Jimmy lost the flip and the guy ran 22 racks on him..
..the guy then broke dry and Jimmy called it quits....and couldn't stop laughing...
..John was complaining that they lost $44...and Jimmy was having the time of his life.

Jimmy said 'The poor guy had a bumpy old stroke...and I just couldn't stand the thought of not giving him a win that day."

Some of them short-stops are subject to have a good day