Celebrations on top of pool tables?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldn’t be that one....

If the players don’t respect their own game, who will?

Yes, golf's Mosconi Cup is called the Ryder Cup and when the winning putt is made, the eleven teammates, captains and vice-captains all storm onto the green in wild celebration. They spray champagne on each other, too, while still on that green. Yes, all this can cause a little structural damage to the green, and add work for the greenskeepers, but so what?

In basketball, they cut the net down after a win in the NCAA championship. Are they thereby disrespecting their sport or its equipment or are they just celebrating to the max?

In baseball, a World Series Champion always takes a team photograph with most of the players sitting on the pitcher's mound, and this can't be good for the pitcher's mound itself, but so what? The groundskeepers can work it out.

In most sports, there are moments when wild celebration trumps the fullest level of respect for the game and its equipment, but in most every sport, letting the champions go wild at moments of great achievement remind the fans how important the achievement is to the players. It's good marketing and good business.

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Yes, golf's Mosconi Cup is called the Ryder Cup and when the winning putt is made, the eleven teammates, captains and vice-captains all storm onto the green in wild celebration. They spray champagne on each other, too, while still on that green. Yes, all this can cause a little structural damage to the green, and add work for the greenskeepers, but so what?

In basketball, the cut they net down after a win in the NCAA championship. Are they thereby disrespecting their sport or its equipment or are they just celebrating to the max?

In baseball, a World Series Champion always takes a team photograph with most of the players sitting on the pitcher's mound, and this can't be good for the pitcher's mound itself, but so what? The groundskeepers can work it out.

In most sports, there are moments when wild celebration trumps the fullest level of respect for the game and its equipment, but in most every sport, letting the champions go wild at moments of great achievement remind the fans how important the achievement is to the players. It's good marketing and good business.

Don’t forget tearing down the goalposts in football, standing on cars after race car wins, and more.
Everything can be fixed. The celebration is fun for both players and the observing fans.

Will Prout

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?
I’m sure he wasn’t the first, but the first I saw was Kim Davenport after winning the Sands, mid 90’s.

Freddie <~~~ nothing is new

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t forget tearing down the goalposts in football, standing on cars after race car wins, and more.
Everything can be fixed. The celebration is fun for both players and the observing fans.

Will Prout
Like I said in my original post, I’m not surprised most people here are bashing me for my opinion on this, but slightly encouraged that at least a few people on here agree with me! I guess the real question is, how would you feel if it was your pool table?

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which could’ve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just don’t think it’s a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

Ok boomer.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I don't care for it...but suppose it's akin to the old tear down the goalposts days.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
“When you go into the end zone, act like you've been there before.”

Vince Lombardi Jr.

Sent from the future.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in my original post, I’m not surprised most people here are bashing me for my opinion on this, but slightly encouraged that at least a few people on here agree with me! I guess the real question is, how would you feel if it was your pool table?

Happy, I guess. That would make me Barry Hearn and he seems to have lived a very successful life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly support both Chris and Logical here. If someone even sits on my GC their ass is gone fast, never to return.

I have a house rules posted here about respecting the table and equipment. What kind of game rules you want to play, I don't really care.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The celebration isn’t a big deal to me but like BRussell said, the loose balls on the table had me worried. I’m still surprised there wasn’t an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it started with Earl. He’s been doing it so long he can’t do it anymore LOL

Revlucjl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Acting like Chimps instead of Champs

Definitely we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that if this becomes
more common place; and it will if it is an accepted behavior, then...its only a matter of time when someone will be injured......THEN WHAT ? I think we should look ahead and realize that this kind of display is full of risk. I'm probably in a minority of opinion, but I would rather err on the side of safety.
Just my 2 cents worth.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in a pool hall where you couldn't sit on a pool table or climb on a pool table for a shot. If you did so, you were warned. If you did so after you were warned, you were thrown out or made to quit playing.

Jumping up on top of tables and dancing around on them is something I can't get into.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy, I guess. That would make me Barry Hearn and he seems to have lived a very successful life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Regarding the abuse of this table, on the flip side, it would make an awesome endorsement/commercial for this Rasson table to brag that it was not only the selected table to be used for the prestigious Mosconi cup, but that it is built well enough to withstand seven adult men jumping up and down on it!

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the abuse of this table, on the flip side, it would make an awesome endorsement/commercial for this Rasson table to brag that it was not only the selected table to be used for the prestigious Mosconi cup, but that it is built well enough to withstand seven adult men jumping up and down on it!
That sounds great at the end of the tournament, but what if someone danced on the table after the first game of the first match. You think the table manufacturer would still be happy? :eek:

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just imagine if Jackie Gleason danced on the table after he first beat Paul Newman in "The Hustler"? :happydance:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
it looked contrived to me

The whole thing struck me as contrived even as I watched it. They were jumping up and down, very very very gently!! as in toes not leaving or barely leaving the table.

The whole thing seemed staged and I wouldn't be surprised if Rasson did sign off in advance. If they didn't know it was coming they probably crapped all over themselves when they saw a thousand pounds bouncing up and down on one of their tables!

When all is said and done, I just didn't care for the whole crowd on the table thing. Between balls on the table and banging into each other it did seem dangerous. Somehow I suspect this may become as de rigueur as doing donuts in the infield grass but it seemed to lack spontaneity even this first time.

Hu

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Likewise here, all the while jumping dancing and celebrating on table was acceptable to me after taking the Cup from the self proclaimed 'King'. Loved that last in your face match. Class on Sky for immediate handshake. Dance away.

I was more concerned for teammate/coachs catching one of those loose balls coming down and hitting the floor awkwardly on their neck never being able to walk again let alone play pool.

I heard the table was going to be signed by all participants and auctioned off. A 'showpiece' for winner/collector more so than a player.

Have a safe weekend,

-Kat,

The celebration isn’t a big deal to me but like BRussell said, the loose balls on the table had me worried. I’m still surprised there wasn’t an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’d give these guys more credit if they smashed their cues...
...like a rock star

3B9EA666-3B20-413F-8E54-02918AFB6B5B.jpeg