Sneaky Pete

chuck amos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For league play I use an early collarless Scruggs SP with a delrin but cap. It plays great but does not attract too much attention. A problem that I have had is that when I go to break the cue down the humidity and temp has caused the shaft to lock to the but so tightly that they are nearly inseparable! Is there any thing any one could suggest to keep this from happening? I have considered rubbing some bees wax on the end of the shaft, but thought I would seek out some AZ advice first.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest some grease to the threads...something light.

Honestly, I'd clean them with a damp paper towel, put fingernail into threads thru paper towel and spin it counter clockwise, then rub forehead with fingers and use the oils there on threads.

a touch of soap is a good lubricant too...maybe lightly sandpaper the wood areas of joint that tough each other too...but gently there.

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bee's wax is worth a shot. It won't hurt anything. But if you find yourself in that situation again have a buddy hold the shaft of your cue while you hold the butt and you guys twist them their proper ways. Works great and only takes a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bee's wax is good...so is a good carnuba wax...I have used candle wax, too. It works well, just scrape some candle wax (parafin) on the threads and screw it together a few times until it feels right.

Joe

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
if you find yourself in that situation again have a buddy hold the shaft of your cue while you hold the butt and you guys twist them their proper ways. Works great and only takes a second.
My complete apologies for hijacking the thread.....but what's wrong with this statement?! :eek: HAHAHA

Sorry, had to. Carry on Gentlemen. I don't have a sneaky pete.....but if I ever get one, I'll know what to do.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it for what its worth,,I would leave it alone and not touch it. I all ways thought that when I found a cue that I had to just about have another person help take it down,,played like a solid one piece cue...to me they don't get any better than that. My Szamboti, back when it had both shafts from Gus (1976), from day one, didn't matter which shaft I played with,,it was as your stating,,a real bear to break down,,loved the way that cue played, to this day,,but I'm thinking that it played better back when it was tighter. Now , with the shafts that Barry made for me,,it isn't as tight as before,,but I still prefer it to anything I've ever hit with.. My 2 Cents Issued

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
For league play I use an early collarless Scruggs SP with a delrin but cap. It plays great but does not attract too much attention. A problem that I have had is that when I go to break the cue down the humidity and temp has caused the shaft to lock to the but so tightly that they are nearly inseparable! Is there any thing any one could suggest to keep this from happening? I have considered rubbing some bees wax on the end of the shaft, but thought I would seek out some AZ advice first.

Where do you live? What's the climate like there?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it for what its worth,,I would leave it alone and not touch it. I all ways thought that when I found a cue that I had to just about have another person help take it down,,played like a solid one piece cue...to me they don't get any better than that. My Szamboti, back when it had both shafts from Gus (1976), from day one, didn't matter which shaft I played with,,it was as your stating,,a real bear to break down,,loved the way that cue played, to this day,,but I'm thinking that it played better back when it was tighter. Now , with the shafts that Barry made for me,,it isn't as tight as before,,but I still prefer it to anything I've ever hit with.. My 2 Cents Issued

Makes it pretty tough to carry around or to put in a case though.:rolleyes:

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
the tighter the better!

The best hitting cues seem to get tighter as you hit with them, be careful what you do around the joint, if it really bothers you take it to someone with a lathe that knows what he is doing, you have a very good quality cue with really good mating joint faces, try an alcohol wipe to clean the joint faces but don't worry be happy that you have a really good fitting joint and a great hitting cue.

mfarrey71

CueNut71
Silver Member
I have a Cognoscenti that does the same thing. What I do is a take out of the case and let it adjust to the temperature of the room for about fifteen minutes then screw it together. since I started doing that I haven't had any problems taking apart.

chuck amos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scruggs SP

Thanks for all the feed back! I think I will clean the wood face with a wipe, lightly oil the threads, apply a small amount of wax, and give the cue some time out of the case to adjust before screwing it together. I should say cue's because I like my Scruggs so much that I recently picked up a second one that plays as good or better! I always wanted to hook up with twins :smile: As for where I live , Michigan the Great Lake state. There is so much water around here that if you through a rock in any direction you here a splash! Summers of 90 degrees and 80% humidity.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the feed back! I think I will clean the wood face with a wipe, lightly oil the threads, apply a small amount of wax, and give the cue some time out of the case to adjust before screwing it together. I should say cue's because I like my Scruggs so much that I recently picked up a second one that plays as good or better! I always wanted to hook up with twins :smile: As for where I live , Michigan the Great Lake state. There is so much water around here that if you through a rock in any direction you here a splash! Summers of 90 degrees and 80% humidity.

Loose the oil and the wax, please. Tho, rubbing both faces and the pin with a
paper towel just barely damp with rubbing alcohol would be a good idea.

Find 2 sturdy rubber bands. Wrap one around the butt, one around the shaft.
Grab with both hands a give a QUICK twist.

This was a common situation with Moooochies.

Dale