Q Masters and the Military

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm currently in my last months of a unaccompanied tour to Turkey and will be stationed in VA next. I greatly look forward to being with family and some time off from 15 months of overseas service. With that being said, soon I will be living close to Q Masters, home of the US Open. I'm sure my father and I will make it out to watch it one year...maybe I'll stakehorse him a couple of tourney nights, lol. Anyways, I was looking at their website and was pleased and proud to see that they have a military-friendly attitude. Tuesdays and Saturdays are free for active duty members. Little things like this really help boost the morale of the military and make us feel welcomed in the community especially with today's political/social environment. Thanks Q Masters!

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm currently in my last months of a unaccompanied tour to Turkey and will be stationed in VA next. I greatly look forward to being with family and some time off from 15 months of overseas service. With that being said, soon I will be living close to Q Masters, home of the US Open. I'm sure my father and I will make it out to watch it one year...maybe I'll stakehorse him a couple of tourney nights, lol. Anyways, I was looking at their website and was pleased and proud to see that they have a military-friendly attitude. Tuesdays and Saturdays are free for active duty members. Little things like this really help boost the morale of the military and make us feel welcomed in the community especially with today's political/social environment. Thanks Q Masters!

Sunday is also free to veterans, that's when i go and i just stick around for the Tourny later that night.

I assume you will stationed at Norfolk ? the 757 Pool tour is an excellently ran pool tour around here quite a few of those players enter the US Open every year.

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Air Force

Well maybe I'll see you out there sometime....just look for the guy missing balls and position. Actually, I'll be stationed at Joint Base Langley-Eustis. I'm in the Air Force, glad I got in the right line at the recuiters office, lol. J/k to you other service members.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well maybe I'll see you out there sometime....just look for the guy missing balls and position. Actually, I'll be stationed at Joint Base Langley-Eustis. I'm in the Air Force, glad I got in the right line at the recuiters office, lol. J/k to you other service members.

send me a Pm when you get here i go to Langley to practice all the time, they have four Crappy nine foot Brunswick's, but hey free to play on, I know two great guys that play there just about everyday, Ft Eustis has four seven foot diamond tables a little over a year old also free to play on.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy vets day, in advance!

Sorry to say all the best pool players in VA are up north!!!!!
:shrug::killingme::shrug:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy vets day, in advance!

Sorry to say all the best pool players in VA are up north!!!!!
:shrug::killingme::shrug:

NO NO NO, In conjunction with Multiple personalities I mean we, self identity as the best player I mean players in VA !!!!! And living on this side of VA.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll say one thing for sure, the attitude towards vets today is way different than it was after serving during Viet nam:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I see a group of soldiers walking through an airport I stand up and salute them as they walk by. If I'm in line to buy food, and a soldier or two is behind me, I will pay their bill. That's just how I'm wired. That's my way of thanking them for their service. I was regular U.S. Army in the 60's, got to drive trucks and work in supply. Both cush jobs.

P.S. I've also bought meals for cops and firefighters. These are the people who keep us safe.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The regulars at St. Elmos Billiards welcomed me with open arms in the late '60's. I paid for "lessons". :)

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RKC ain't lying i heard some really crappy stories about Vietnam vets when they got home, it really sucked the way they were treated.

As a combat vet i praise what's being done to appreciate service members , but i knew what i was getting into when i signed up to be an infantryman, me personally i don't take advantage of what being offered this weekend that's just me, what WOULD really get me in the feelings is if those same places offered free meals to the homeless once a year just let em pig out.

I know i know there is help for the homeless that want it, but it will still be cool if restaurants offered something like that every now and again.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If so"? Are you serious? :speechless:

I only experience what I experience, joe. I have never knew a man who was unable to reassimilate into society as a result of Service.

If our current societal attitude toward the military is better now than before, that is almost unbelievably better. I don't think that our Country today is all on the same page, generally speaking...and I hope we are at rock bottom on that.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only experience what I experience, joe. I have never knew a man who was unable to reassimilate into society as a result of Service.

If our current societal attitude toward the military is better now than before, that is almost unbelievably better. I don't think that our Country today is all on the same page, generally speaking...and I hope we are at rock bottom on that.

Your re-assimilate statement doesn't even make sense with what you had posted. So you think "current societal attitude" toward the military is not good? I must live in an alternate world because all I see & hear all day long is pro-military this, pro-military that, over and over and over, from both sides.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your re-assimilate statement doesn't even make sense with what you had posted. So you think "current societal attitude" toward the military is not good? I must live in an alternate world because all I see & hear all day long is pro-military this, pro-military that, over and over and over, from both sides.

I don't believe I ever commented on any measure of good or bad, only its trend...and I think I make sense just fine.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I cwn only speak to what i know to be the truth almost 40 years ago. A lot of Viet nam vets were spit on, called baby killers, rapists, and murderers after returning stateside after the war was over. There's quit a few living in the jungles in Hawaii still today. 2020 has done interviews with them in the past. There was no hero's welcome home from anyone that i ever heard of, and i served 9 yrs, and a lot more soldiers died in Viet nam than all who've died since then added up to date. A lot of those who died didn't run down to the recruiters office to sign up willing to fight as most were drafted and had no choice but to go or hide as draft dodgers. Muhammad Ali is the only one i know of to stand up against the government and say NO, i won't go kill others who've done nothing to me or my family....and went to prison because of his values!

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better, you think? Glad to hear it, if so.

I served in the Air Force during the latter part of Vietnam. RKC is right about how servicemen were generally treated. We tried to spend as little time as possible off base in uniform because of how we might be treated. Glad that today’s servicemen are appreciated for the sacrifices.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I served in the Air Force during the latter part of Vietnam. RKC is right about how servicemen were generally treated. We tried to spend as little time as possible off base in uniform because of how we might be treated. Glad that today’s servicemen are appreciated for the sacrifices.

Nice, succinct post there.

I have often read about the mid 20th century being the beginning of society's awakening, but it is a damn shame the laborers of war had to bear the public's backlash against the government's mission.

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor

Yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'till their judgment day comes
Yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgment, God is calling
On their knees the war pig's crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing spreads his wings
Oh lord yeah!
Writer/s: F. IOMMI, J. OSBOURNE, T. BUTLER, W. WARD
Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group, T.R.O. INC.
Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind