Is this the proper execution of this shot?

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told to execute a force follow shot you actually hit the cue ball below center, and come up through the cue ball as you are stroking. I’ve never heard this before. To be honest, i can’t even understand how the physics of this would be possible. It seems like it could even be a bad/double hit.

Was wondering what people here thought. As you give opinions, it would be helpful for me if you included your skill/ability level.

“tip just above center would be just Follow. Force Follow is when you come up thru the the cue ball starting out below center.”

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told to execute a force follow shot you actually hit the cue ball below center, and come up through the cue ball as you are stroking. I’ve never heard this before. To be honest, i can’t even understand how the physics of this would be possible. It seems like it could even be a bad/double hit.

Was wondering what people here thought. As you give opinions, it would be helpful for me if you included your skill/ability level.

“tip just above center would be just Follow. Force Follow is when you come up thru the the cue ball starting out below center.”

Complete horseshit.

Someone is either fooking with you, or they are clueless.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Yeah, nobody does that. You hit the cue ball high with speed. Make a nice, smooth stroke. Power shots need to be accurately placed and smooth. If you're not getting a lot of follow, you're not hitting it high enough.

Extreme shots should only be used occasionally. Usually there are better choices.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, hit the cueball above center, follow through. Start off with easy shots, straight in with the object ball not too far from the pocket and the cueball only 8 to 10 inches from object ball. Force follow the cueball farther and farther till you miss the pocket by an inch. Remember on longer shots one of the reasons why a lot of people miss, is cause when they are trying to hit the cueball pretty hard they hit the cueball either too high or too low, thus causing the cueball not getting its forward action.

My favorite force follow is in the corner pocket with inside english causing the cueball to follow the object ball but off to the side hitting the two rails around the pocket and sending the cueball down table.

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's my opinion that many cue balls react differently after impact with an object ball, because of the weight of the cue ball. I have some old blue circle cue balls from the 60s and when opening up clusters in 14.1, those cue balls will go through the cluster and out the other side. Try that with the measles ball and it won't happen.
Other observations.....take a player that just started learning. Playing a week and now they draw the measles ball length of the table. Give them a red circle ball and they can't back it up 6".

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether I want a ball to be rolling, sliding, dragging, drawing or force following, I don’t execute one shot any differently from another. Pick a tip position. Pick a firmness. And follow through.

I’m not a fan of swooping or steering your stroke whether aiming high, low, left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense intended but if you have to ask you aren't spending enough time at the table.

It's a valuable shot to have in your arsenal.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense intended but if you have to ask you aren't spending enough time at the table.

It's a valuable shot to have in your arsenal.

I can execute the shot. But I was told I’m doing it wrong, and that I don’t know what the shot really is.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can execute the shot. But I was told I’m doing it wrong, and that I don’t know what the shot really is.

I’m curious who gave this advice. Not their name. Is this some young kid or old man? Are they a state top player, city top player, city strong shooter, middle of the pack player, or honestly not that good of a player?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Stroking center ball or even below center ball--upwards--is for a gentle follow stroke. The cue stick may even leave the bridge hand and arc into the air on the follow through. This stroke can be used to have the cue ball follow the o.b. into the pocket nine feet away, smoothly, dead straight. It's not a double hit and gives nice feel, the bottom of the cue tip striking the cue ball rather than striving for a dead center cue tip impact. I teach golf also, and a similar stroke has been used by many golf pros (upwards) for nice roll on a putt.

Force follow is best played with a level or near-level cue stroke, as described here.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lol. If the player that told you this can hit a good power follow shot, then he just thinks he's not striking the cb with top. This also means he probably has trouble drawing the cb back because to him it looks like he's striking it low but really not. ?? Just an assumption on my part.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m curious who gave this advice. Not their name. Is this some young kid or old man? Are they a state top player, city top player, city strong shooter, middle of the pack player, or honestly not that good of a player?

It was actually a couple of players that are considered high level state players for tournaments.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Does that mean to hit a good draw shot I need to strike high on the cue ball and then lift the back of my cue to swipe lower on the cue ball?????? I like to think I can hit a good follow shot all without ever striking the cue ball low while doing so.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stroking center ball or even below center ball--upwards--is for a gentle follow stroke. The cue stick may even leave the bridge hand and arc into the air on the follow through. ...

I think the above is really bad advice, especially for a beginner who might waste valuable practice time trying to perfect goofiness.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was actually a couple of players that are considered high level state players for tournaments.

Lots of good players believe things that are just plain false. Mike Sigel is on record as saying that throw doesn't exist. And Willie Mosconi said you should hit the rail and the object ball at the same time if the object ball is frozen. They were both wrong.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want to follow, you hit the cue ball above center. There is no secret to it. Force follow is merely hitting it with more speed to get more follow.
Trying to aim low and hit high sounds like somebody is messing with you....
For what it's worth, you have gotten responses from some good players already but my Fargo is 675.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of good players believe things that are just plain false. Mike Sigel is on record as saying that throw doesn't exist. And Willie Mosconi said you should hit the rail and the object ball at the same time if the object ball is frozen. They were both wrong.

Bob,

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate you and dr. Dave’s effort to spread great information.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to follow, you hit the cue ball above center. There is no secret to it. Force follow is merely hitting it with more speed to get more follow.
Trying to aim low and hit high sounds like somebody is messing with you....
For what it's worth, you have gotten responses from some good players already but my Fargo is 675.

Thanks Tucson. No idea what my Fargo would be. I’m an out of stroke late 40’s player. I do well in local tournies and league stuff but speed control isn’t there to play with the big boys.