Biggest myths in pool today

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myth: AZ main forum is dead with not one interesting topic to be found.

Debunked: proof is this thread!:thumbup:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fact: PushOut is a more skilled game with less luck.
Fact: No player today ( or ever ) could beat Eddie Taylor playing all games ( 9ball, 1pkt str8 pool, banks ) in his prime!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Myth: You can't play under the radar/make a living at pool with today's social media and the internet...

Billy Burke is doing it!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of myths, most of which I have seen here on AZB numerous times over the years, are summarized with supporting resources here:

Top 100 Pool and Billiards Myths ... Debunked, Busted and Explained

Check them out,
Dave

Dave, how have you quantified this? (Ps, I am almost done reading that book myself)
PPS, I think you have it backwards, especially after almost finishing reading that book;)

#97. Natural talent is more important than hard work.
See the book: "The Sports Gene." For certain sports (e.g., anything involving jumping or speed like some track and field events), this can be true. Also, someone with good eye-hand coordination (e.g., from genetics and/or previous experience with other activities and sports) will have an advantage over someone who is not very coordinated. It also helps to have sharp vision and depth perception. However, practice, experience, and hard work are the most important ingredients of success in pool.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, how have you quantified this? (Ps, I am almost done reading that book myself)
PPS, I think you have it backwards, especially after almost finishing reading that book;)

#97. Natural talent is more important than hard work.
See the book: "The Sports Gene." For certain sports (e.g., anything involving jumping or speed like some track and field events), this can be true. Also, someone with good eye-hand coordination (e.g., from genetics and/or previous experience with other activities and sports) will have an advantage over someone who is not very coordinated. It also helps to have sharp vision and depth perception. However, practice, experience, and hard work are the most important ingredients of success in pool.
So you think "natural talent" is more important than "hard work" in pool? I think this might be the case for some individuals (e.g., a few top pros who don't seem to need to work that hard on their game). But I think for the majority of pool players, hard work trumps talent in a big way.

Regards,
Dave

PS: I read the entire book and enjoyed it very much.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of the biggest myths in pool these days.

I'll start

9-ball is a broken game and 10-ball is much better= myth

1) Pool rooms fail because of bad locations . Poor business practices like not providing free pool and beverages are the down fall of many.

2) Retailers and manufacturers of pool and billiards products are making a killing yet refuse to fund pro events and sponsor the streaming for these events.

Banks

Banned
1) Pool rooms fail because of bad locations . Poor business practices like not providing free pool and beverages are the down fall of many.

2) Retailers and manufacturers of pool and billiards products are making a killing yet refuse to fund pro events and sponsor the streaming for these events.

Retailers are absolutely nuts. Something about this entire industry, imo. I've approached a few local retailers about advertising opportunities. Apparently none of them have any competition(including each other) and could care less about a pool scene. My money is on the idea that they'll change their tune when it's too late. Let's just say that my biggest supplier is no longer local and that's disappointing.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a power game.

Aiming systems make you a more consistent Potter.

X pro pool player couldn't make it in snooker, even if they started at an early age.

The pros always think 3 shots ahead.

The pros don't give anything back to the game.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So you think "natural talent" is more important than "hard work" in pool? I think this might be the case for some individuals (e.g., a few top pros who don't seem to need to work that hard on their game). But I think for the majority of pool players, hard work trumps talent in a big way.

Regards,
Dave

PS: I read the entire book and enjoyed it very much.
No top pro got there without hard work on their game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
All the comparisons between hard work vs. talent are a myth in my opinion. The ability to focus and work harder than most other people is actually a rare talent in itself, and a very important one at that!