You ever take advice from a lower level player ?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
You ever take advice from a lower level player?

Never! I only take advice from players at my level (Shane, J.L. Chang, Wu).

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Recently a girl on my team who is an APA 4 and a big personality grabbed me by the shoulders and said, "You need to breathe!" It has helped a lot.

Many amateur players can't seem to grasp how important their breathing patterns are. I always try, with little success, to get my teammates to sit down between innings and relax (i.e. breathe). Hell...I can't even get them to sit down between innings.

But yeah, I'll listen to anyone's advice/opinion. I like options. My teammates all know that it's okay to call a timeout on me if they think they are seeing something that I may be missing.

Maniac

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many amateur players can't seem to grasp how important their breathing patterns are. I always try, with little success, to get my teammates to sit down between innings and relax (i.e. breathe). Hell...I can't even get them to sit down between innings.

But yeah, I'll listen to anyone's advice/opinion. I like options. My teammates all know that it's okay to call a timeout on me if they think they are seeing something that I may be missing.

Maniac

Breathing is important.
Holding your breath can help.
Take for instance that the cue ball is frozen to the short rail in the kitchen and and object ball is 6 feet away and dead straight.
You have to shoot it in the corner pocket.
This is an extremely tough shot.
When you breathe your whole upper body moves a bit,even with shallow breaths.
When I shoot a shot like this I take a couple of warm up strokes to get set and fine tune the aim and a nice short slow stroke.
Then the last couple of strokes before pulling the trigger I exhale and hold my breath to try and stay as still as possible.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, all of the great sportsmen and women have had coaches that were not as good a player as them. If it’s good enough for them then I guess it’s good enough for the rest of us.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Breathing is important.
Take for instance that the cue ball is frozen to the short rail in the kitchen and and object ball is 6 feet away and dead straight.
When I shoot a shot like this I take a couple of warm up strokes to get set and fine tune the aim and a nice short slow stroke.
Then the last couple of strokes before pulling the trigger I exhale and hold my breath to try and stay as still as possible.

I agree.

This shot you are describing is much like aiming a bench-rest rifle (shooting for accuracy). Two or three breaths...let out about half your breath...hold it...then fire when ready (being sure not to take too long).

The breathing in my post I was referring to was for the time when one is not at the table.

Maniac (holds his breath with every shot he takes. :embarrassed2:)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breathing is important.

Breathing is very important.

I was playing a guy one time and he was breathing very heavy and irregular while shooting.

After a while, I noticed that he had quit breathing altogether while sitting and waiting his turn.

The next time it was his shot, he couldn't play dead.

:)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have lamented on here a few times about my 9 ball break.

I have practiced several times....watched you tube...asked for advice from higher level players ....tried several dedicated break cues. . i got to where i could squat the cue ball in the middle of the table pretty regularly......always one of the same 3 results......dry break and my opponent gets a pretty good run....a random ball knocks the cue ball in a pocket....on the rare occasion i make a ball i am usually hooked on the next ball.

Last week the scorekeeper on the opposing team overheard my b#tching after a dry break and her team mate ran 6 balls on me.

She told me to break softer. Now this is coming from an apa 3 on the opposing team....i am a 6. I mulled it over and on my next opportunity to break...which was my last break of that match i brome softer and lo and behold i made 2 balls and was straight in on the one. Well i be damned.

So a few nights later i played 9 ball vs an 8 and i broke 4 times that match using the softer break....i made 2 balls and had a shot on the next ball in 3 of those breaks. One break was dry.

Last night i did not keep track of how many breaks i made but made one or two balls every break.

Now just 2 matches so far may not be enough to come to a conclusion of just how great her advice was but all i can say is its been a heck of an improvement so far.

Yes. Just two weeks ago I learned a nifty trick for gauging stop shots from a person 300 fargo points below me.

As Efren replied when asked how he learned all of his magic shots, "from amateurs."

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I hear this line all the time in the pool room "I only want to take lessons from the best". The line is usually spoken by players who never take lessons, and generally suck or are middling players at the very best. There are maybe a few exceptions, where this sentiment is defensible. If you're trying to learn how to do certain advanced things, maybe specific patterns, high level shots etc, then the person needs to at least have a good understanding and those who do have that are usually fairly advanced players. However, usually even terrible players have some things they do well, some may have an ability to do specific things better than even top players. You never know until you look.

What I want to say then is: " Well, buddy, you can't play for sh.... I can't remember the last time I saw you run out, so maybe you should consider taking some advice from someone who do occationally run out, or just about anyone, really, instead of making up bs excuses about why nobody is good enough to teach YOU anything. Because the way things are going, you're not running out this side of Christmas or maybe ever."

What I actually say is "mm hmm.." I find that this wastes less oxygen and is less stressful to everyone.

Personally I'll take advice from anyone as long as it makes sense, if I'm desperate, maybe even if it doesn't make sense. Learned some great things that way.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because someone isn't as good doesn't mean at one time they weren't good or certain aspects of their game aren't good.

For example those who have seen the video of Louie Roberts hustling a guy in 9 ball at Cue and Cushion in St Louis - early in that video Louie introduces a guy named Bill Hendricks who was watching the game. I knew Bill a couple decades later when he was in his 80's. In his younger days he was a 200 ball runner. When I knew him he would go to the pool hall and mostly just sit and watch, sometime sleep in the chair. He had a little trouble walking. If he ever gave advice I listened but he couldn't play at a high level by that time.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My knowledge far exceeds my abilities in pool. That wasn’t always the case. I have a good memory and can’t execute. So is listing to a guy like me a smart move? Hmm??

I think the answer is yes, listen and then decide. It don’t cost anything. I’ve listened to weaker players who had decades of experience.I Learned some things.

What I can’t fade is someone with zero experience and zero knowledge being the expert.

So the real issue isn’t how someone plays, it’s what they know that matters and can they convey meaningful information and useful ideas.

Best
Fatboy