The most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed?

I would love to read some stories about the most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed (either in person, or a recorded or live online or tv stream)?

And please do not tell stories about what you heard from someone else (for example, I remember hearing about one of the European pro players running 20 racks of 8 ball, but I never actually witnessed this). Please be honest, and tell about what you have actually seen for yourself.

Thanks for sharing any stories that you can think of, which were (in your opinion) the most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed.

Last edited:

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the last TAR matches when Shane destroyed Orcullo. If I remember correctly....Shane's break and run percentage was somewhere around 35-40 percent.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
The GOAT

2006 Derby City One Pocket
Efren Reyes vs Alex Pagulayan in the semifinals and Efren Reyes vs Jason Miller in the finals, best one pocket i've ever seen or probably ever will see
best one pocket that's probably ever been played, at least when the cameras are rolling

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane playing Nikos in Greece… he broke in ran somewhere around 50% of the racks playing 10 ball… an amazing display!

midstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a dark moonless monday night about 830. The other team thru out a 3 o wait thats APA never mind.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Witnessed first hand would have to be when I was an APA 4 playing a guy named Louie Galvan - apparently, if you've played pool in Chicago in the last 20 years you know this guy's name, Vegas Masters champion several times - his mancave is full of titles, trophies, awards, and he said he's thrown away more than half of what he has displayed.

Anyway, I'm playing this guy for the first time and he ran a 6-pack on me. He was announcing everything he was going to do and explained his thought process. At that time I realized that if I dedicated myself to playing I could play as good as him - who, to me, played pro speed. He was doing everything I saw the pros doing on YouTube.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
I believe it was 2001. Joss event at Country Club USA in Chelmsford Mass. Alex Pagulayan won the 5k added 9-Ball, 10k added 9-Ball, 1k added 8-Ball and 1k added One Pocket events. The kicker, he also won the 50/50 cash raffle and a good chunk of money playing backgammon. Things just went perfect for Alex that week and he played great to boot. I learned a few shots that week that I will never forget.

Last edited:

dfordham

Registered
The 2015 World Pool Masters vs Liu Haitao semifinal with Shane winning 8-0. Just watched it tonight. His opponent got to the table once for a total of two shots. Total time of the match was something like 27 minutes.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Frost playing position on balls in One Pocket, where he had almost no margin of error, to either have a great shot to run more balls, or no shot at all.
{He almost always got there}
When he is on, his cueball control is absolutely amazing.
I also think he misses kisses, that even other great players don't avoid, about as good as I have ever seen.
I watched him many, many times , just barely creep thru in front of the object ball or just behind it, into an area that most people would not have played shape into.
To create an opportunity to run balls.
After you watch it happen, over and over, you know it isn't luck.
Also, Cliff Joyner 20 years ago, running 11s all day long spotting really good players.
They would roll him up in the corner and he would make something out of the stack and run out.
It seemed like he always had a "dead" ball in the stack lol.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would love to read some stories about the most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed (either in person, or a recorded or live online or tv stream)?

And please do not tell stories about what you heard from someone else (for example, I remember hearing about one of the European pro players running 20 racks of 8 ball, but I never actually witnessed this). Please be honest, and tell about what you have actually seen for yourself.

Thanks for sharing any stories that you can think of, which were (in your opinion) the most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed.

Nine Ball
The greatest nine ball we're likely to ever see is that played by Wu Jiaqing in 2005 to capture the World 9-ball Championship at the age of 16. In the race to 17 finals, Po Cheng Kuo was on the hill at 16-12, but Wu came to the table and ran the set out in breathtaking fashion. Simply incredible. I saw this one on the internet.

Ten Ball
For me, the greatest ten ball I ever saw was at the 2010 Super Billiards Expo 10-ball. Here's my post from March 2010:

Just got back from Valley Forge and I'm still abuzz over what I saw Saturday night and Sunday in the pro 10-ball events....

.... Saturday night was Jon "Hennessee" Pinegar's night. After a brilliant comeback after trailing 6-3 against Archer, John overpowered Van Boening and then carved a masterpiece in a 9-3 whitewashing of Deuel to win the hot seat. I wondered whether I'd ever witnessed better 10-ball than Jon had displayed on Saturday night, but Sunday would prove even more electrifying. Hohmann and Van Boening played a truly beautiful match, won double-hill by Van Boening, a match in which you hated to see anyone lose. Shane then played superbly against Deuel, winning easily, to set up the race to thirteen final against Pinegar. It looked interesting for a while, with Pinegar racing out to a 2-0 advantage, but thirteen of the next sixteen racks would be won by Van Boening in the most impressive display of 10-ball I've ever witnessed.

Thanks to Jon and Shane for a memorable display of almost unparalleled excellence over the glorious green felt. Those of us who follow the tournament trail always hope we're on hand when the most elite players get in the zone, but to watch two players execute at this level match after match after match was a rare treat that this particular fan greatly appreciated.

Straight Pool
I was present when Sigel ran his celebrated 150 and out against Zuglan in 1992 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City. Zuglan ran 148 in his very next match against Ray Martin. What a night of pool it was!

Banks
The 2014 Bank Pool ring game produced some of the greatest pool I've ever watched. Skyler Woodward made three different runs of six and outlasted Bustamante with both in near perfect form. Freddie the Beard said Skyler had played the best bank pool he'd ever seen. Freddie, who would die just a few months later, knew great bank pool when he saw it, so his comment speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren Reyes vs Alex Pagulayan in the semifinals and Efren Reyes vs Jason Miller in the finals, best one pocket i've ever seen or probably ever will see
best one pocket that's probably ever been played, at least when the cameras are rolling

You beat me to the punch on this one. Efren's play was was truly amazing!

Teacherjohn

Registered
Keith sacramento 1975

I believe it was 1975 which would make Keith about 17 or so Sacramento, Not at Terry's but I believe some motel that was holding a tournament. It was about 2 in the morning, no one was playing and all the top players in the world were milling around doing nothing. Probably there were maybe 300 or so spectators waiting for something to happen. Suddenly from the far bleachers a skinny scrawny pimply face kid stands up and yells out."Who wants to play? I seen you guys on TV, read about you in the papers and I'm saying not one of you guys got a hear larger than a Beebee." Silence. Every one looked up to see who was doing the yelling. I didn't know so I asked the guy next to me who it was. "That's Keith from LA," the guy said. "He can play with any of these guys, don't worry about that." A few minutes later, After a brief huddle of all the top players, Louie Roberts waves a wad of cash at Keith and says lets play. Keith practically bowled everyone over as he scrambled down the bleachers to the nearest pool table. They decided to play 7 ahead for $5000. Everyone rushed for a good spot to watch the match.. This was great. 7 ahead could take all nite. I got a good spot right by the table and settled in for a long match. Never happened. They flipped a coin for the break. Keith. won and Louie racked the balls. Keith then ran 7 racks. Louie never shot. Took less than 10 minutes. Greatest pool shooting I ever saw, especially after Keith did all the barking to get the game and then backed it up.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren

It was the finals of One Pocket at Derby City, I think it was 2007. Efren against Jason Miller, I am not a big One pocket fan but was urged to watch with a friend of mine who is. I have never witnessed anyone Play Pool as good as Efren played that night. It seemed he was playing straight Pool not One Pocket.I would watch that match again.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

I did not read all post when I wrote the same thing sorry about the duplicate.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't just one match. But in the 90's, Shooters in Olathe KS hosted several tournaments such as the ones they have now. At that time, it might have been the Texas Express tournaments. The format was winner breaks and Dave Matlock won several in a row. Just dominating. The Midwest 9 ball changed the format to alternate breaks just to give the average Joe a chance.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My thoughts exactly.

When we were watching it live, I know my damn jaw was on the floor.

Truly incredible.

Ken

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it was 1975 which would make Keith about 17 or so Sacramento, Not at Terry's but I believe some motel that was holding a tournament. It was about 2 in the morning, no one was playing and all the top players in the world were milling around doing nothing. Probably there were maybe 300 or so spectators waiting for something to happen. Suddenly from the far bleachers a skinny scrawny pimply face kid stands up and yells out."Who wants to play? I seen you guys on TV, read about you in the papers and I'm saying not one of you guys got a hear larger than a Beebee." Silence. Every one looked up to see who was doing the yelling. I didn't know so I asked the guy next to me who it was. "That's Keith from LA," the guy said. "He can play with any of these guys, don't worry about that." A few minutes later, After a brief huddle of all the top players, Louie Roberts waves a wad of cash at Keith and says lets play. Keith practically bowled everyone over as he scrambled down the bleachers to the nearest pool table. They decided to play 7 ahead for $5000. Everyone rushed for a good spot to watch the match.. This was great. 7 ahead could take all nite. I got a good spot right by the table and settled in for a long match. Never happened. They flipped a coin for the break. Keith. won and Louie racked the balls. Keith then ran 7 racks. Louie never shot. Took less than 10 minutes. Greatest pool shooting I ever saw, especially after Keith did all the barking to get the game and then backed it up.

Damn it. I would have loved to see this.

Ken