Question

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
All depends on type of tip. If its layered then it goes tip down to keep layers together. If its standard water-buffalo tip then tip up because water-buffalo are claustrophobic and your tip won't play as good if its nervous.;) Seriously, it doesn't matter. I used a Fellini for yrs with tips down and never noticed any increase in bluing. A lot of it is monkey see/monkey do. People see it and mimic it.

When I was livin' in S. Cal. I had a fellini. I would always strap in across my handlebars to keep and eye in it, Zamboti. With all the bumps at high speeds with the cue moving around/ an interesting thing happened. The liner/seam of the case somewhere inside the tube, came loose a little, and put a slight cut into my linen wrap. But I did like keeping it in front of me at when rollin. On a luggage rack in the rear, it hops waaaaaaaaay to much for a cue stick in that case. Too much movement.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I do it and use the tip pik for next time I play. so Ill misss right away instead of miscuing.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won’t find visible chalk on my cases as the shafts go in tip first and have protectors for easy removal.
There’s bound to be some chalk dust at the bottom but if you apply chalk correctly, any debris is minuscule.

If you have a chalk discoloration on your shafts or cases, you are using too much or misapplying chalk.
I was at the pool hall today. More than 50% of the players could be observed twisting & squeaking chalk.

When will the pool playing public learn the proper way to apply chalk to their cue’s tip? It seems like never.
I betcha the chalk manufacturers love players using chalk incorrectly. It only leads to future & faster sales

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I always put the tips up. No need to change anything.

If you leave em in your car trunk and your shafts lay somewhat loose in the tubes, then drive 1,000 miles I'd switch em around so they are not rattling every bump in the road. Soft case no biggie. That constant movement is not good in the long run.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
If you leave em in your car trunk and your shafts lay somewhat loose in the tubes, then drive 1,000 miles I'd switch em around so they are not rattling every bump in the road. Soft case no biggie. That constant movement is not good in the long run.

Good tip.

I take 1000+ mile trip every couple weeks or so with my cue in the trunk.

This will be addressed before the next one.

Thank you.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
for the case

I wipe the tips on a preferably barely damp paper towel. First thing I do when I go to the pool hall is go to the little brown building. After washing my hands and face I dry with paper towels. I bring those out to the table I am going to play on and wipe down the rails. Some places this matters more than others but I wipe off loose powder and chalk and enough tar and nicotine to leave the paper towels dark brown.

When I am finished playing, back to that little brown building again. Wash my hands, dry them on a paper towel. That towel I give my tip a pretty thorough cleaning with and give my cue shaft a quick wipe with a different portion of the paper towel. Everything goes back in my case and is forgotten about.

I laugh a bit about the tip raked across the floor bit. First off, I am sure quite a few tips have been shed thataway. Not only that, you are swapping a little clean chalk for spit, flying honkers, everything somebody has tracked through too. I know some great people that automatically clean their cue tip on the floor when they are finished playing, many years of habit. On a clean floor it seems disrespectful, on many floors it seems you are getting nastier stuff on your tip than you are taking off!

Hu

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some players remove the chalk from the tip of their cue before they put it in the case. I've never done it.

What is the benefit?
Very simple. It keeps chalk out of the case. I keep tips up in my case but still use a napkin or paper towel and wipe the tips first.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All kidding aside -- I usually dip my tip in the toilet to remove the chalk. An added benefit is the residual gunk in the toilet gives me more time between oilings.

Not that tip.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very simple. It keeps chalk out of the case. I keep tips up in my case but still use a napkin or paper towel and wipe the tips first.

I've always gone tip up and never had an issue with chalk in the case bothering me.

Mi no comprende por que.