Which cuemaker(s) can work some magic with a John Davis fullsplice blank?

justtapitin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love to pick up a John Davis fullsplice blank and have a cuemaker wave his magic wand, sprinkle some pixie dust, and turn it into a keeper.

Want to add NO inlays and keep it as inexpensive as possible and as high a quality as possible. Yes, I know. Low cost and high quality are somewhat at odds.

Who can do a superior job?

Nominations please.

Last edited:

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Would love to pick up a John Davis fullsplice blank and have a cuemaker wave his magic wand, sprinkle some pixie dust, and turn it into a keeper.

Nominations please.

It's probably a good idea to ask John himself. He would have an interest in seeing that his blanks get properly finished. Responders on this forum are likely to just name their favorite cuemaker .... which I will do now:

Tim Prince (princecues on AZ) has done a lot of work with John's blanks. He and John are sharing a booth at the upcoming Chicago cue show. Tim is well-equipped and a great guy to work with.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I misread the post.

Who you have make up the cue depends on how much money you want to spend on it.

Jerry -R- would be a great choice.

There are many many cuemakers who can help you out.

You should get a ton of good replies here!

Good luck with it :)

matta

Cue Snob
Silver Member

Want to add NO inlays and keep it as inexpensive as possible and as high a quality as possible. Yes, I know. Low cost and high quality are somewhat at odds.

Nominations please.

Any reputable cuemaker can turn a Davis blank into a nice cue. Give your favorite a call.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
joe callucua....sorry for the spelling.....but gkloop has a great one for sale on here now......so you can see what joe did to that davis blank...

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
John Spitz?

John Spitz (Qcreator) makes quite some nice cues out of John Davis' blanks, haven't worked with him before but i did contact him once enquiring about his cues, seems like a nice guy to deal with, extremely keen and prompt too. I've seen some of his works on websites and they really do look good. Think i remember reading from somewhere that he does work in John Davis's shop sometimes as well? Could be wrong so perhaps he could jump in to verify.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
John Spitz (Qcreator) makes quite some nice cues out of John Davis' blanks, haven't worked with him before but i did contact him once enquiring about his cues, seems like a nice guy to deal with, extremely keen and prompt too. I've seen some of his works on websites and they really do look good. Think i remember reading from somewhere that he does work in John Davis's shop sometimes as well? Could be wrong so perhaps he could jump in to verify.

great option also.....plus he is a really nice guy...

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Yes, I know. Low cost and high quality are somewhat at odds.

Nominations please.

I have no doubt that starting with a Davis blank is a great idea.

One word of advice, no matter who you choose, be very careful to make sure whoever you select is not backlogged. You want the cue back in a reasonable time frame, not six months to a year to two or three years - you know the scenario.

I am curious what Keith Josey would charge. He has been very reasonable in the past on conversions, sneaky's etc and his cues have decent resale.

Chris

97Buick22

Go Blackhawks!
Silver Member
Hi Guys! Thanks for the kind words. I convert many of John's Blanks and I'm also at his shop quite often. John is a good friend and I have alot of respect for him and his work. He has taught me alot over some time now. I'm very experienced in converting his fullsplice blanks. I currently have some in stock that are well seasoned and would be glad to make a keeper for you!:smile:

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my custom blank made by John Davis and finished by ALEX BRICK. Alex turned the butt down several time over 8 months to minimize warping. He finished the cue with an OB Classic shaft.

I designed the cue to be a player---no inlays or frills. It turned out perfect.

Ebony forearm, bucote handle, G-10 pin. A real player.

By the way---John Davis sent 20 veneers for me to select color and sequence.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I have two done by Scott Gracio and two done by Alex Brick and they are all done well.

I have heard good things about Spitz in our area. He does some very nice work.