Kudo's to George Fels!!
Old
  (#1)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

Kudo's to George Fels!! - 05-09-2009, 04:47 AM

Very nice piece in the May Billiards Digest, about my friend, Sailor of Racine!!

Thanks George for giving us a little insight into a real pool legend. I count myself lucky to have encountered Sailor. My meetings with Sailor and my visit to George's apartment are treasured memories. Sailor is a real pool player and a good friend. And, come to think of it, the same goes for you George. A 100 ball runner is a pool hero in my book!!

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#2)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

05-09-2009, 05:08 AM

GF is the man!

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

The Best
Old
  (#3)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The Best - 05-09-2009, 06:06 AM

We are fortunate to have George chronicle our game. Pool's greatest writer.

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#4)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2009, 06:08 AM

George's books are fantastic reads.

Come to think of it, Freddy and David aren't too bad at writing either.

Sailor and George
Old
  (#5)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

Sailor and George - 05-09-2009, 07:22 AM

That was a very nice article about Sailor. Even at his age and with his health problems he still can't wait to get back to the table. I spoke with him yesterday and he was on his way to a pool hall to hit some balls with a friend of his. Whenever I talk to him, he asks me how I'm shooting and gives me words of encouragement on how to do things right. I was lucky enough to get 1st in our 14.1 league and he was talking to me every week. I went through a stretch where I was killing on the first game and letting up on the second and he got so mad about that.

I think someone once told me that Luther Lassiter used to keep one of his cues around and when he got out of stroke, he would pick up his Sailor and get right back in. I've got some of his cues and I ran a 46 with one of them but I must confess I am a little fickle when it comes to cues. (Don't tell Sailor)

George is really a good writer. You can see it in every article and book he writes. If it were not pool, it could easily be something else. Not only do I get to read him every month (the first thing I go to), but I get to play in a 14.1 league with him. I get to watch his patterns against me and others. The first time I played him, I felt like I was in a chapter in one of his books, as he calmly took the balls off the table, working from the outside in.

Last edited by dmgwalsh; 05-09-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old
  (#6)
JimS
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh View Post
That was a very nice article about Sailor. Even at his age and with his health problems he still can't wait to get back to the table. I spoke with him yesterday and he was on his way to a pool hall to hit some balls with a friend of his. Whenever I talk to him, he asks me how I'm shooting and gives me words of encouragement on how to do things right. I was lucky enough to get 1st in our 14.1 league and he was talking to me every week. I went through a stretch where I was killing on the first game and letting up on the second and he got so mad about that.

I think someone once told me that Luther Lassiter used to keep one of his cues around and when he got out of stroke, he would pick up his Sailor and get right back in. I've got some of his cues and I ran a 46 with one of them but I must confess I am a little fickle when it comes to cues. (Don't tell Sailor)

George is really a good writer. You can see it in every article and book he writes. If it were not pool, it could easily be something else. Not only do I get to read him every month (the first thing I go to), but I get to play in a 14.1 league with him. I get to watch his patterns against me and others. The first time I played him, I felt like I was in a chapter in one of his books, as he calmly took the balls off the table, working from the outside in.
Lucky Duck! (for a visual example of how I'm feeling see Dr. Frank Burns, MASH)

I mean lucky to be in a 14:1 league, to play w/George and to have the IBC close by.

I had not heard about your success with league. I suspect you earned that! Congratulations!! I'm sure Sailor is happy for you and proud of you and having Sailor be proud to have you as a student is no small thing.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

Old
  (#7)
Rich93
A Small Time Charlie
Rich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Ditto from me on George Fels. I've been enjoying his column for just about 30 years now - longer than any other columnist, except maybe for the late Mike Royko. For me George's column is also the first thing in BD I turn to.

I think George used to be in the advertising business - pool's very own Don Draper!

I look forward to meeting George in the Red Shoes 14.1 league's summer session.

Name: Rich Klein
Cue: Bobby Hunter
Case: JB Cases
Favorite Poolroom: www.redshoesbilliards.com

Old
  (#8)
JimS

05-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93 View Post
Ditto from me on George Fels. I've been enjoying his column for just about 30 years now - longer than any other columnist, except maybe for the late Mike Royko. For me George's column is also the first thing in BD I turn to.

I think George used to be in the advertising business - pool's very own Don Draper!

I look forward to meeting George in the Red Shoes 14.1 league's summer session.
If Royko were still around I'd read the paper.

Carlos Castenada

Article on Sailor available on line
Old
  (#9)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

Article on Sailor available on line - 05-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS View Post
Very nice piece in the May Billiards Digest, about my friend, Sailor of Racine!!

Thanks George for giving us a little insight into a real pool legend.
Here's a link to the article that is now available on line:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=70

Old
  (#10)
JimS

05-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Bumpin this up out of respect for George Fels and Sailor of Racine. Legends from the old school.

Carlos Castenada

Sailor back in business
Old
  (#11)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic

Sailor back in business - 05-12-2009, 06:38 AM

I spoke to Sailor yesterday and he was happy about the publicity. He said maybe I can get some more cue business if people know I am still around. The past year was a little tough on him due to health issues and he says the money was a little tight. It's good to know he is still putting cues together.
If interested, call him at 262 488-5688.

By the way, the article mentions he had over 600 runs of 100 or more in straight pool. He said that it was actually over 1000. that is when he quit counting. Not too shabby.

Old
  (#12)
philw
AzB Silver Member
philw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond reputephilw has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2009, 09:14 PM

George's column is the best reason to pick up an issue of Billiards Digest.
His writing style is something special.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: