Seriously???

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
I had someone tell me that phenolic tips put micro fractures in the cueball and that is why the BCA has banned them....
I am having a hard time believing this one...:confused:
Insight anyone??

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Why is everyone so up in arms about this rule change? It's their sandbox. We either play by their rules or find another place to play!

Seriously, why are you questioning the BCAPL's decision? If Bill and Ric both say cue balls are being ruined, why can't you just believe them? Would you rather play with the junk cue balls the ACS, VNEA and APA use for their National events? I've had one too many J hook rolls from the weighted cue balls. Its not like they're banning jump cues entirely! I'm waiting to see what happens at the Valley Forge event next month. Allen usually abides by BCAPL rules. My .02.

Lyn

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Why is everyone so up in arms about this rule change? It's their sandbox. We either play by their rules or find another place to play!

Lyn

Sadly many Bars, and tourny's use the BCA's Rules IMHO this SUCKS.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think their is option II, the Player NEED to Lobby the BCA to stop the change!!!!!

NineBallNut

Silver Member
best picture I could find. look at upper right of cueball, the little smiley marks are what there talking about.
BrunswickWhite3.jpg

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
It is the option of every bar and non-sanctioned event to choose the rules to play by. I agree the players have the right to question the BCAPL's decision. They may protest. They may decide not to play in BCAPL events. That is the players choice. I prefer rules consistancy. Vegas pool events are expensive enough. I'd prefer not to have them charge me in advance for damage to the equipment to satisfy a small group of players. Again, if they had banned jump cues I would understand the uproar. This is just too trivial.

Lyn

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member

Seriously, why are you questioning the BCAPL's decision? If Bill and Ric both say cue balls are being ruined, why can't you just believe them? Would you rather play with the junk cue balls the ACS, VNEA and APA use for their National events? I've had one too many J hook rolls from the weighted cue balls. Its not like they're banning jump cues entirely! I'm waiting to see what happens at the Valley Forge event next month. Allen usually abides by BCAPL rules. My .02.

Lyn

Just so you know, i could care less about the rule change. I was only asking if this was the reason for the change because i never knew that cue balls could actually be damaged by a tip so badly that it effects a bunch of rookies to play league pool to thier best abilities....

This is being abit nit picky....

Whats next, u have to have leather pockets with foam padding behing them?? Maybe a nice fluffy pillow on the bottom of the pocket so the cueball doesn't get hurt??
LOL!!!

What a joke:D:D

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill chime in real quick im no slouch on the table i can string a few rack together but it remains to be seen by you guys. When i first bought my BK2 and after breaking with for a month i had so many little cracks on it that i could hear it pulling/snagging on the cloth when it was quiet enough in the room.

I tried to count the little cracks on the cueball becuse at the time i had no clue what was causing them but i lost count after 78 and it was a brand new arimith cueball i bought a day after the BK2 came in.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have 3 Q-balls. Two good ones and a cheapy. They all have those smiley faces on them from my J/B cue. I believe the tip is the same material as the object balls. I washed them all with soap and water and looked at them with a jewelers loope. Only the QB's had the marks and the marks are shaped just like half the tip. So yes, it does put marks in the QB. Johnnyt

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I never liked phenolic tips anyway. The sound drives me crazy, it sounds like a miscue.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the tips as hard or harder than the cue ball material. I understand its the same material but could it have been made harder. Either way if it's damaging the cb's it a good move.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
this ban is bs. Phenolic tips have been around for years, why the change now?

If it was doing that much damage why not ban them as soon as they came out. Why waite till everyone was using them. Maybe someone is trying to sell more leather tips.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised so many people went with phenolic tips. You can get leather tips that are close in hardness and have much better ability to control. It's become quite evident in the last decade or so that control is much more important than the speed of the break.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I never liked phenolic tips anyway. The sound drives me crazy, it sounds like a miscue.

Funny you would mention that....1 out of 3 times I break with a phenolic tip, I miscue....I would rather grab a crappy house cue to break, than use my phenolic monstrosity...jmo.

As others have said, the level of control offered by a leather tip is well worth the (perceived) difference in power offered by phenolic tips...

joeboxer

WIAWSNB
Silver Member
Funny you would mention that....1 out of 3 times I break with a phenolic tip, I miscue....I would rather grab a crappy house cue to break, than use my phenolic monstrosity...jmo.

As others have said, the level of control offered by a leather tip is well worth the (perceived) difference in power offered by phenolic tips...

Exactly, phenolic takes time to get used to, but i dont have that kind of patience.

I break with my shooting cue, but i do use a Superpro to shoot with so it works out great.

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
This can mean that the market for the phenolic tips and etc would be affected. This could trickle down and bring down certain businesses due to the ban. Maybe they can just upgrade the CB and make them out of G-10 material? It could be expensive, but it is not the the measles and blue dots are very cheap right now. So they are just banning the tips and not the phenolic ferrule and all that correct? If so, I am sure there are tips out there that are leather that are just as hard or a ted bit softer than the phenolic tips. I know manwon mention something about a milk dud type of leather tip they use that is 100+ in hardness. Seems hard enough to me lol. Just MHO

Last edited: