Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Jim McDermott elected into Hall of Fame.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Jim McDermott elected into Hall of Fame.
Old
  (#1)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

Jim McDermott elected into Hall of Fame. - 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM

For his outstanding contributions to the cuemaking art and industry, Jim McDermott has been elected into the International Cuemakers Hall of Fame.
Jim started repairing cues in the mid 1960’s around the Milwaukee area and started working for another cuemaker in 1966. After working there for several years and perfecting his cuemaking skills, he went out on his own and started the McDermott Cue Manufacturing company in 1975 in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. McDermott rapidly became one of the best known brands of cues. They were the first higher production cue manufacturer to almost exclusively use the 3/8-10 wood to wood joint. Although he was not the first to use that joint pin, it became so familiar to the public, that many still refer to the 3/8-10 pin as the “McDermott style” joint. They moved into their state of the art facilities in 1988 and were among the first to make the transition to CNC turning centers, 4-axis rotational milling capabilities, and automated electro-static UV urethane finish. Jim introduced many lines of cues through the years. One of the most popular was the D-Line from the mid 80’s. Many of these have already become sought after by collectors. Jim was always there to help grow the sport. These efforts included sponsoring players, developing the McDermott National 9-ball Tour, and even supplying McDermott cues for the movie “The Color of Money” released in 1986. Jim retired from cuemaking in the mid 90’s, but McDermott continues to be one of the top brands of cues worldwide and still uses many of the same methods Jim used in the 60’s.
To see the full International Cuemakers Hall of Fame visit www.internationalcuemakers.com

By Chris Hightower - 2011-03-01

Old
  (#2)
SK Custom Cues
AzB Silver Member
SK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond reputeSK Custom Cues has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to SK Custom Cues 
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Congratulations! I can't believe it took this long..

"It's what a man knows about himself on the inside that makes him afraid."

- Clint Eastwood

Old
  (#3)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Custom Cues View Post
Congratulations! I can't believe it took this long..
He just beat you by two votes.

Congrats to Mr McDermott.

Old
  (#4)
ScottR
AzB Silver Member
ScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-02-2011, 04:06 PM

That is super!!!

Congratulations, Mr. McDermott.

Scott

Old
  (#5)
spktur
AzB Silver Member
spktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Yeah Jim should have been inducted into the hall of fame as a cue maker 20 years ago. He has always make a good solid cue and has led the way.

Old
  (#6)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Good for Him.
I have and use a Deacon, COTM 07.

Old
  (#7)
cueaddicts
AzB Gold Member
cueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 12000

03-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Very deserving.....congrats to Mr. McDermott !!

cueaddicts.weebly.com

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."
—Robert T. Jones.........(The same can also be said for pocket billiards.)

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
—Alexander Hamilton

Old
  (#8)
Cue Crazy
AzB Silver Member
Cue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond reputeCue Crazy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3950

03-02-2011, 08:26 PM

I agree That He is well deserving of the honor, and surprised It didn't come sooner. Anyhow great choice, Congrats, and thanks to him for his contributions to the industry.

Greg Colbert

Old
  (#9)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spktur View Post
Yeah Jim should have been inducted into the hall of fame as a cue maker 20 years ago. ...
Looks like 2004 was the first year for inductees into that HOF: http://www.internationalcuemakers.com/?page=halloffame

Old
  (#10)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Congratulations!

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Mcues:

https://www.facebook.com/Mcues-11355...dmin_todo_tour

Old
  (#11)
BLACKHEARTCUES
AzB Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKHEARTCUES has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Jim helped me set up my 1st lathe & helped me with his advise, when I 1st started, in the early 80's. A good guy. Congratulations are in order...JER

Old
  (#12)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey
scdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Hi,

When someone asks me to quote a price for a cue and they are shocked by my price, I always advise them that McDermott also has a lower priced line of cues that play great.

McDermott is the only cue that I ever recommend out of the sea of companies that make cues for $ 200.00 or less.

I do a ton of cue repair in my pool hall and have seen a lot of McDermotts. They are build to a standard that speaks for itself.

Mr. MCdermott is someone we all should salute for his life's work and entry into the HOF.

Rick G

"Handcrafted Cues using Procedural Process Control"

Cell 847 641-0276

Old
  (#13)
Newton
AzB Silver Member
Newton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond reputeNewton has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Very glad to read this, since my first "real" cue was a D1 back in those 80s. I managed to upgrade to a higher D20-odd something which would never be sold. I compare the leather grip on this to many of the newer cues-usually not even close. Quality...

Good to see that the designer of my cue has been appreciated by his fellow cuemakers:-)

"When I'm chatting and playing pool - I'm not thinking.
When I'm shutting up and thinking - I'm playing"

www.kendocues.com
Authorized OB Cues and Kamui dealer.

Congrats Mr. D.......
Old
  (#14)
krbsailing
AzB Silver Member
krbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond reputekrbsailing has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Congrats Mr. D....... - 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Still making great cues

Playing Cues: BlackPearl, BK2 & KRB Jumper
Other Cues: Gus, Scrugg's, -R-,Tascarella's, Mottey, Murrell, BlackPearl, Adam's and a Viking

PictureArchives http://imgur.com/a/CLbzb

4$ale http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=97734

Congrates
Old
  (#15)
jrackman
AzB Silver Member
jrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond repute

Congrates - 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM

to Mr Mcdermott, well deserved. His older cues play as good as any out there. I have 3 Mcdermotts. two D-19 and one custom cue apparently made for a pool room owner (Mr. RED) in upstate NY in the late 70's or early 80's.

''A man who doesn't make a bet everyday might be walking around lucky and not even know it.'' Jimmy Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: