What would happen if someone were to break Mosconi's record of 526?

What would happen if someone broke Willie Mosconi's 526 ball run in competition?

• ESPN covers the story

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • The record breaker makes the cover of Sports Illustrated

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • A resurgance of 14.1 due to national media exposure

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Nothing happens because no one cares. Pool is dead and can't be brought back to life.

Votes: 75 62.0%

• Total voters

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
What would happen?
Would anyone care?
Would ESPN cover the story?
Would Sports Illustrated cover the story?
Would there be a resurgance in 14.1 because it was in the national sports news?

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope that I could be there in attendance

What would happen?
He would be rich and automatic entry into Hall of Fame.

Would anyone care?
Those who play pool would pay for PPV.

Absolutley, because every one plays pool at one time or another here in the US !!!

How could they not, it is one of the most unatainable records of all time !!!!
Come on John Schmidt, you got my vote.

Would there be a resurgence in 14.1 because it was in the national sports news.
Yes, espeacilly if it was SVB or John Schmidt.
Great gentlemen to the game.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
It would probably mean little to the public at large...sports records are
broken all the time.

Would it rock the pool world? You betcha!

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
What would happen?
He would be rich and automatic entry into Hall of Fame.

Would anyone care?
Those who play pool would pay for PPV.

Absolutley, because every one plays pool at one time or another here in the US !!!

How could they not, it is one of the most unatainable records of all time !!!!
Come on John Schmidt, you got my vote.

Would there be a resurgence in 14.1 because it was in the national sports news.
Yes, espeacilly if it was SVB or John Schmidt.
Great gentlemen to the game.

Barney, although I hate to say it, the only way your predictions would come true would be if the person was molesting a boy in a shower while breaking the record. They have trouble covering records that are broken in baseball, football and basketball, let alone our little corner of the sports world. If there is ZERO coverage of SVB and all of his accomplishments as a rising star the past 5 years, theres no way in hell Sportscenter would dedicate 5 seconds to announcing this accomplishment.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't vote for the choices you listed.

Frankly, if someone broke the record, I doubt whether ESPN or Sports Illistrated would event mention it. They probably wouldn't even know about it. However, it would be a big deal in the billiard magazines and rightfully so.

Sadly, I don't think there would be any big resurgence in 14.1. It seems the game is only popular in certain poolrooms and in certain areas. People don't even know what it is in other areas.

I hope someone does break the record and I hope I'm wrong in my predictions. I have noticed a small up swing in the popularity of 14.1, so you never know.

barboxbanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the closest anyone has come on record? I've heard people claim they have done it at home or blah blah, but nothing official.

BigFish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I predict that it will happen this coming December, corresponding to the end of the current Mayan calender cycle, and cause the end of the earth and civilization as we know it.

barboxbanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I predict that it will happen this coming December, corresponding to the end of the current Mayan calender cycle, and cause the end of the earth and civilization as we know it.
Note to self: Set DVR to record ESPN on Dec. 21st

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to you, me, everyone on this board and all the boards on the internet, this would be a major accomplishment. to anyone outside this bubble, it would not be even a blip on the radar. it would be like the most consecutive hit streak in jai lai or something. and there's nothing wrong with that. everything from music, tv and movies has all been fragmented to the extreme. pretty soon, we will just have forums for just 9 ball, 8 ball, one pocket etc because that's where all this is headed.

so just embrace that this accomplishment means alot to you and don't get frustrated that espn and sports illustrated could care less. that's advertising and the only thing that adverstising cares about are things that matter to the masses so they can sell us stuff. i believe it's justin that runs the TAR; if you need validation that running 527 balls is an accomplishment, wait on his response in the next podcast or post. i guess he would be pool's scott van pelt.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
To me, the record is simply who ran the most and how many was it? 526 has been topped a number of times.

I do not doubt at all that this has happened somewhere, at sometime in the past without reliable witnesses. But please elaborate for us some of the stories you may be familiar with concerning the feat of breaking the record of 526, both who you heard did it, and when and where it happened (and the same for any other posters who may have heard stories). This could get very entertaining.

Maniac (high run: 30 :eek:)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
What would happen?
Would anyone care?

Rufus:

I would say that ESPN covers the story, and perhaps a back-page article in the NY Times (NY Times is actually very good at journalizing achievements like this), and perhaps the local newspaper and local media [of the person who broke the record] would cover it. (They would do it for pride reasons, obviously -- e.g. "one of our own broke a 60-year old record!")

I wouldn't think Sports Illustrated would make it a cover story, although I think it would get a mention inside; perhaps a feature story.

There might be a small bump in 14.1 depending on how the achievement is portrayed. However, it definitely WON'T be a "The Hustler"- or TCOM-level event, as much as I (and others) wish it would be.

-Sean

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would happen?
Would anyone care?
Speaking for myself only...I would not care.
The record does not really matter in competition.
John Schmidt ran 400+ more than once, as we all know. Doesn't mean he is favored to win every 14.1 event.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would happen?
Would anyone care?

Nobody will break that record, officially, unless they go find a table with huge pockets like Mosconi had played on. And who is going to sit there and film this? Mr. 400 filmed himself right? And this was on a tighter table.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I'm concerned, Willie doesn't hold the record. The "official" record was nothing more than a publicity move by the BCA for their paid employee. To me, the record is simply who ran the most and how many was it? 526 has been topped a number of times.

If a tree falls and hits you on the head, does it not count because there weren't 50 people there to see it from start to finish? When was the last time you had 50 people from start to finish at a 14.1 event? It's ridiculous that they all have to be there from start to finish. The fact that you have a bunch of people watching, at various times some leave and others come in, and at the end you don't have anyone that was there at the beginning. No one saw any misses, but it doesn't count because they weren't there the whole time.

I'd be willing to bet that the ONLY person that saw all 526 shots of Willies was Willie himself. I don't believe that no one ever looked away for a single shot at something else or didn't doze off or go to the restroom.

The BCA wanted their man to hold the record, and discounted any one else that beat it. Records should be on what someone did, not on who or how many saw it.

Are you sure it wasn't also a communist plot?

Mosconi was an employee of the BCA - when did you make that one up?

The rest of your fantasy is equally far fetched.

Pop quiz - why is Willie's record the one recognized?

I know you don't understand why.

Dale