Wrap Question

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a birdseye maple tan leather wrapped break cue & I was wondering if there was any way to take the wrap off & make the cue Wrapless without damaging the cue?.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have a birdseye maple tan leather wrapped break cue & I was wondering if there was any way to take the wrap off & make the cue Wrapless without damaging the cue?.

There will be unfinished wood under the wrap and a groove the wrap sits down in. Once the wrap is removed, the handle should then be turned down to even out the surfaces and refinished. This will cost you at least $120 I would say and leave you with a thinner handle than before.

If you want the wrapless feel but and keep the same dimensions, you might want to try a stack leather wrap by Tiger Products. Ryan at Meuller's does them at a good price. He can put a shiny sealer on the leather and it does not feel like leather at all.

My playing cue has a stack leather wrap. I have it resealed every couple of years. It's been on the cue now for at least six years and I love it. It doesn't have the dry, powdery feel of leather - it's slick and firm.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member

Short answer no.

What would be done is that the wrap would have to be taken off, and then the butt cut into 3 separate pieces at the points where the unwrapped portion of the handle starts and stops. Then a new handle would be made of the appropriate matching woods and then rejoined to the forearm and the existing butt sleeve. Then the whole butt would be refinished. It's actually not as bad as it sounds but it is quite a job.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Sell this cue and buy the one you like. It's easier to put a wrap on a wrapless cue than it is to make a wrapless cue out of one that has a wrap. Way easier. It would totally change the cue to do this.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

jjf

Registered
call Paul Drexler of PFD studios.(860-295-8500) He did this for me and I could not be happier.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure of anyone who turns wrapped cues into wrapless in the uk and sending it to America...are you made of money? Lol.
Either...

Learn to love it
Buy a wrapless butt, not easy to find a butt for sale in uk though
Or I think the best option is to sell your cue and either buy a wrapless of the same model or another wrapless cue.

I changed a wrapped cue into a wrapless a while back, big mistake I found it so hard to sell because the but was turned down pretty thin and it just felt plain wrong!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tiger's stack leather wrap as close to wrapless feel in a wrap as you can get.

There will be unfinished wood under the wrap and a groove the wrap sits down in. Once the wrap is removed, the handle should then be turned down to even out the surfaces and refinished. This will cost you at least $120 I would say and leave you with a thinner handle than before.

If you want the wrapless feel but and keep the same dimensions, you might want to try a stack leather wrap by Tiger Products. Ryan at Meuller's does them at a good price. He can put a shiny sealer on the leather and it does not feel like leather at all.

My playing cue has a stack leather wrap. I have it resealed every couple of years. It's been on the cue now for at least six years and I love it. It doesn't have the dry, powdery feel of leather - it's slick and firm.

I 100% agree with this. Tiger's stack leather wrap is as close to a wrapless feel you can get in a wrap, without actually being wrapless.

Here's a short four-and-a-half video on what a stack leather wrap is, and how it's installed -- start to finish:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EteSBoXm9bI

You can see that the version that Elia Davtyan (Tiger's stack leather craftsman) installs in this video is a high-gloss version. But several different finishes are available. All of them, as Chris says, are firm -- no dry/powdery/spongy feel that ordinary leather wraps have.

I have four cues with stack leather wrap, and I'm in the process of replacing the linen wrap on the rest of my cues with stack leather.

Ryan at Muellers does wonderful work, as well.

-Sean

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
You could try this.

Take the wrap off

Clean off the glue and anything else to get to the bare wood.

Then apply multiple layers of finish until it gets to the level of the rest of the cue.

The other would be applying a finish over the wrap like a Meucci cue.