pool players whowear glasses

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear glasses for distance to play pool. I have thought about experimenting with my reading glasses. I also have an old pair of glasses with large frames & have thought that these might increase my field of vision.

Has anyone already done this experimentation?

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
The rims of my glasses tend to get in the way which is why I switched to contacts. For some reason I also started lining up on the ball better when I switched to contacts to. I'm to vain to use the bigger, Karen Corr glasses, lol.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Take the old large frames to your eye doctor. As him to write you a prescription that will give you the best vision in a range from 3 to 12 feet. Put those lenses in the big frames and use them strictly for shooting pool. You may not be able to see the waitress across the room, but you will have great vision on the table.
Steve

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
I wear glasses for distance to play pool. I have thought about experimenting with my reading glasses. I also have an old pair of glasses with large frames & have thought that these might increase my field of vision.

It depends which prescription that you wil put in the new frames.

I have found that I cannot use my reading glasses at all for shooting pool. While wearing them, I can see the closer balls clearly, but anything further than 6 feet away from me becomes fuzzy and unclear.

With my long distance glasses, I have better results. When I first received them, every close-up flat surface looked unlevel (which is a trip) but after wearing the for a while, that goes away.

I have been blessed with astigmatism, so contacts are not an option for me. Usually I don't have a problem with frames as much as I have a problem with glare from the lights above the table (which is a minor problem).

Do what I did a few months ago. Ask your optometrist which prescription would be better for you before you start playing around with your eyes. There are frames available that are designed specifically for pool players and they are available at this link -

Prescription Billiard Eyeglasses

These frames are also endorsed by "The Professor" himself, Grady Mathews.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I had Decot make mine with my doc's prescription for best vision 3 to 12 feet. The have adjustable bridges so I can wear them any height I want them. I can have my chin on my cue and look up to shoot and never see the rims. Love'm. www.sportglasses.com

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear glasses and I look hot in them. For me to avoid the the top part of the frame I learned to take about a 12 inch step back with your back foot. It's helped me significantly. Although, I have always heard players say their games have elevated right after switching to contacts.

Christian

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the advice of JimS!!

JimS said:
I had Decot make mine with my doc's prescription for best vision 3 to 12 feet. The have adjustable bridges so I can wear them any height I want them. I can have my chin on my cue and look up to shoot and never see the rims. Love'm. www.sportglasses.com

Give Decot a call they are the best IMO. i've had mine for over four years and have changed prescriptions three times since them. Interchangeable lenses top notch customer service, if your using glasses they are simply the best avaliable. Mine are anti glare, scratch coated and I highly reccomend them. I started with single vision and had to go to progressive vision. The matte black frames work best for me and have zero reflection from overhead lights. Mine are the very light gold tint which gives a little more contrast with the cloth.
JMO,
Dan

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I'm the same as Blackjack, I too have astigmatism rated at 0.25. Unfortunately, contacts are only made starting at 0.75.

My eye grade is -0.75(L) and -1.00(R) for daily use. My daily use glasses won't work for pool, so I started experimenting with contacts without Astigmatism correction. I found that the best for pool to me was -0.50(L) and -0.75(R). I had a frameless glasses made with this grade plus astigmatism correction.

Here is my pool glasses: (0.5" taller than my normal wear. looks like just a normal glasses. :) )
P1010842a.jpg

Here is my normal daily wear:
P1010841a.jpg

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
It depends which prescription that you wil put in the new frames.

I have been blessed with astigmatism, so contacts are not an option for me. Do what I did a few months ago. Ask your optometrist which prescription would be better for you before you start playing around with your eyes. There are frames available that are designed specifically for pool players and they are available at this link -

One of my daughter's has 20/200 vision due to an astigmatism. Her opthamologist prescribed larger than normal hard (glass) contact lenses some years ago. Seems that these types of lenses "re-form" the eye and remove much of the astigmatism. to 20 /30 or 20/40 or so. You might want to check with your physician. Helps with glare too. If your vision is not as bad as my daughter's was, you may get even better correction.

It appears that laser surgery can also correct some of the problems now but she is having it done one eye at a time. Now she has to quit the hard lenses for a few months so her eyes return to their normal state prior to surgery. There are many advances in this area and an physician (opthamologist) should be consulted.

Last edited:

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Glasses, in my opinion are always a hindrance to a pool player's true vision. If you check out some of the eye training programs on the web, you'll see that if your vision isn't too far off 20-20, it can be corrected with eye training.

In my case, my parents bought me glasses when I was eight, and my eyes got continually worse from that point on.

I'm 56 and tried eye training 3 years ago and bettered my vision from 20/200 to 20/70 in one eye, and 20/120 to 20/40 in the other. I had such a bad astigmatism though that even with improved vision I was seeing through a fog.

So I had laser surgery 3 years ago and it has been very good.
If I had only a slight correction, though I would do eye training.

One more thing, How many successful pros have you noticed that wear glasses? Karen Corr would be one, but that's about it. Pool requires extremely clear vision because of the intriquacies of the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Danny

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Links

Danny Kuykendal said:
Glasses, in my opinion are always a hindrance to a pool player's true vision. If you check out some of the eye training programs on the web, you'll see that if your vision isn't too far off 20-20, it can be corrected with eye training.

In my case, my parents bought me glasses when I was eight, and my eyes got continually worse from that point on.

I'm 56 and tried eye training 3 years ago and bettered my vision from 20/200 to 20/70 in one eye, and 20/120 to 20/40 in the other. I had such a bad astigmatism though that even with improved vision I was seeing through a fog.

So I had laser surgery 3 years ago and it has been very good.
If I had only a slight correction, though I would do eye training.

One more thing, How many successful pros have you noticed that wear glasses? Karen Corr would be one, but that's about it. Pool requires extremely clear vision because of the intriquacies of the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Danny

Do you or anyone have any links to the better websites for eye training? I'd love to "see" them!! NO KIDDING!
Dan

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
berlowmj said:

I use as big a frame as I can get without spending oddles of money on special shooting glasses. I think it helps.
I have an old pair of reading glasses that are almost perfect for pool, but there is something wrong with the prescription that I can't figure out. I don't worry too much about it, my vision is probably better corrected than that of most people who don't wear glasses.
Just a side note, my vision has improved post 50 years of age. Doctor said that is not at all unusual for near-sighted people.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:

Just my 2 cents.

Danny

I don't see glasses as a hinderance. As I said in my other post, most people who don't wear glasses don't have 20/20 vision, but it isn't bad enough to be worth correcting. Therefore, wearing glasses I wind up with better vision than them.

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Qued Up,
If you go on line and google "eye training" or "vision training" you can fine many programs and books for improving your eyes. And, if you keep at it I can gaurantee results. Again though, if you have a severe astigmatism, correcting that I believe is just about impossible, even though the books will espouse to be to correct it. It's an abnormal curvature of the eyeball.

One more thing, I purchased a program called the "See Clearly Method" that was being advertized on the radio a couple of years ago. And it worked as well. They were forced to stop doing business because they couldn't actually "prove" it worked to the FDA.

By the way, I kept records of when I began eye training and when I quit, and improved my eyes by about 75%. So I guess I'm a believer.

Danny

Runnin8

Love God, Love People
Silver Member
I'm practically blind without my glasses and have astigmatism so I have dealt with glasses the whole time shooting pool. What I found works best for me is an oversize frame that gives a large vertical view, plus I had the center of the prescription placed about a half inch from the top of the frame. It'll take some getting used to, but with -4.25 vision its the only way to avoid serious distortion when down to shoot. Just don't plan on using them for everyday wear.

kildegirl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do It Your Way

berlowmj said:

DO IT YOUR WAY, ASKING OTHERS WHAT AND HOW TO PLAY YOUR GAME IS INSANE.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I had to start wearing glasses. My glasses blend from near to far. At first straight lines look curved. I find this to be very helpful now. When I line up a shot and the line looks curved I know that I am not looking at the ball right or my head is cocked. Glasses don't affect my shooting at all. In fact it is still the same or maybe better. But it depends on your base. I couldn't shoot worth a darn before and still can't.:confused:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Although I did not get mine from this website, I have the same glasses/frames, which I got from my local optometrist after he talked to the eye doctor from this website... http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

They work great.

A little history on me... I'm currently 58 and I had lasik eye surgery done ~8 years ago... which corrected my 20/400 and 20/200 eyesight to 20/20... BUT... the problem was, the 20/20 didn't start until until I was looking at objects 20 feet away and greater... so my pool game suffered a bit. For reading, I use 2.0 diopter reading glasses (from Walgreens)... but for distances between 3 feet and 20 feet, I had nothing to use until I got these pool glasses.

They correct my vision beautifully between the distances of 3 feet and 14 feet... which is perfect for pool... and these distances are as a result of my local optometrist talking to the website doctor and picking his brain about what he does when he designs a pair of pool glasses. The glasses didn't cost me a penny as I have medical insurance to cover them. Had I had to pay for them out of my pocket, they would have cost me $95.

Hope that this helps... ;)