💡The BEST pool advice I've ever received was...

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was great. The guy he was talking about playing the best on "ass" was a guy named James Rochford, AKA: Peaches. His old man kept him out of a lot to trouble when he was younger, since he was the Chicago Police Chief.
I knew Peaches!!
& Bozniak

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Bill Cress shared many words of wisdom across the years but on that stuck with me was..."you're only as good as the ball in front of you "

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best pool advice I ever got was "Theres no money in pool, play it for enjoyment and find something else to to make money"
That was over 50 years ago and it's still true today.
The first time I met Duffy in Bananas in San Antonio he told me that professional pool players have a cue/case, pinky ring and a used car and one if not all will end up in a pawnshop or car lot. In other words they are constantly broke.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well for me in the 80s , me being 17 years old and playing the old cats for 5$ per game one pocket was a lot because I usually / always lost my entire paycheck. Took me 5-6 months and I was giving them 12-5 / 12-4 and won all my money back plus tons more over the years…. Just gotta go all in and do some gambling. After you lose some paychecks , it just somehow comes to you , as in what shots to shoot and what shots not yo shoot!!!!! Lol ………To this day I still shoot the wrong shots and get punished , hard headed lol 😂

There's no better way to get the drive to play better than to have rent on the line ;) (not my style but I've been in the game long enough)

A old player from Nebraska taught me how to point to the area on the table where the cue ball was supposed to stop.
He also helped me learn how to tap the rail three times if I wanted a ball to slow down.

Remember his name?

Most recently, I remember hearing a story about Efren and how he likes watching lower skilled players because they get themselves into deep shit and since they don't know what to do they come up with creative stuff and get lucky once in a while. I heard Efren watches those and goes and practices the weird stuff.

Not sure if it's true but I started doing it and my kicking game is light years ahead of where it was years ago, and I've always been a confident banker/kicker ;)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There's no better way to get the drive to play better than to have rent on the line ;) (not my style but I've been in the game long enough)

Remember his name?

Most recently, I remember hearing a story about Efren and how he likes watching lower skilled players because they get themselves into deep shit and since they don't know what to do they come up with creative stuff and get lucky once in a while. I heard Efren watches those and goes and practices the weird stuff.

Not sure if it's true but I started doing it and my kicking game is light years ahead of where it was years ago, and I've always been a confident banker/kicker ;)
It was 40 years ago but I believe it was Earnie Horacek. I'm sure he is long gone now.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WATCH GOOD PLAYERS PLAY!! ☝🏾I REPEAT WATCH GOOD PLAYERS PLAY. ☝🏾I'M NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD NOR AM I THE BEST PLAYER ON THIS FORM HOWEVER I PLAY PRETTY GOOD, ONE POCKET IS MY FAVORITE GAME🙌🏾💰💰 BUT WATCH GOOD PLAYERS PLAY AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHY HE DID THIS OR THAT, ASK QUESTIONS. THAT'S MY 2 CENTS!! 😎😎
I never had a chance to play with any good players at an early age. My early playing through my high school years was at tables on the local Ivy League university campus. I specifically remember when I was about 14, some advice I got from college age player who was one of the top players on campus, who was also on the golf team.

He saw I was already a decent player, and he told me to stop using my cue as a crutch to help figure out where to aim on the object ball on cut shots, and just learn to trust myself in the aiming process. I took his advice and have never done it again since.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree completely about losing your cool; I've never seen that have a good outcome on a pool table. But it doesn't have to get to that extreme. Here's an example: years ago I was playing $40 a rack 9-ball. I was in over my head (not the better player) and down 5 or 6 bets. One rack I got ball in hand on the 8. The 8 and 9 were both in the middle table by the side pockets (gimmys). I shot the 8 in the side pocket and planned on drawing it back about 6 inches to shoot the 9 in other other side. Well my draw didn't take and I only drew it back an inch or so. Now all of a sudden I had a thin cut on the 9. I missed it. Another player was watching and told me always follow the ball in that situation and you always get out. He was right. Besides the $80 swing, it was pretty embarrassing not getting out.

I didn't lose my cool, but I learned a good lesson from that negative experience (I always follow that ball now). My point is, if missing isn't a negative experience, few learn from it. You can make that experience negative mentally without getting to the point where you lose your cool over it.
Draw for show... follow for dough.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HUH??? Suppose the shot in question requires a draw?? Gotta be able to do both ON DEMAND. Reminds me of 'drive for show, putt for dough'. If you're not drivin' it good your putter isn't gonna save you. Gotta do both.

Go rack any game of your choice 10 times. Shoot the first 5 with draw only and the last 5 with follow only and see what happens.

I can draw the ball better than most and so I have always had fun with it but once I heard that statement I did the test above and was sold. That is by far one of the biggest things that brought me from a banger to a pool player ;)

I like to say "Draw for the crowd but follow the money" ;)