10 Ball - is it played like 9 ball

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
By continuing to massage the rules of ten ball, the WPA has further disenfranchised the casual onlooker, and there's good reason why ten ball has never replaced nine ball, despite the fact that it has been predicted by many for over twenty years.
I'm good with adding 10-Ball to the games pros play. I'm not good with replacing 9-Ball, a great, entertaining, popular game that just needs to be played in long enough sets to test top players.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm good with adding 10-Ball to the games pros play. I'm not good with replacing 9-Ball, a great, entertaining, popular game that just needs to be played in long enough sets to test top players.

pj
chgo

Agreed, Patrick. That's just as I see it. Ten ball has its place as a fringe game, and I personally enjoy it, but pro pool today is all about nine ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thankfully, call safe, which by eliminating the two way shot dumbs down the game beyond repair, is very rarely used these days. As a rule, I won't even attend an event if the call safe rule is in use.

I've watched 10-ball played Texas Express (as it is at the Bigfoot 10-ball at Derby City) and enjoy it more than any other form of 10-ball, but I can accept call shot. Ten ball last (where the ten ball spots on an early combo or carom), to me, is unnecessary. Ten on the break not counting, to me, is like taking the home run out of baseball. The fans love it when the money ball goes in on the break.

Present WPA rules require the use of call shot, ten ball last, and ten doesn't count on the break, but the call safe rule does not apply. The WPA has succeeded in making ten ball almost unrecognizable to the casual fan. The good news, from my vantage point, is that in doing so, the WPA has virtually ensured that 10-ball will not replace 9-ball as the primary tournament discipline any time soon.

Totally agree with Stu here. Ten Ball should be played just like 9-Ball with one additional ball. That alone makes it about 20% harder to break and run the rack (there are stats that back this up). You will rarely see the ten ball made on the break. Maybe only once in 40 or 50 racks, unlike 9-Ball where it is made fairly often.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is unrealistic to contrast how pros play 9 ball versus amateurs and recreational players.
Pros don’t rely on slop and they play a precise game clearly capable of running the table.

Amateurs do not possess that ability. I can run the table & even a 2nd one but that’s about
my limit in 9 ball. Pros are so much better skilled than the rest of us. It is like comparing a
PGA pro’s performance on a golf course like Spyglass that has a slope rating of 147.7 from
the Blue Tees with how you’d play that same course. There is just no comparison whatsoever.

Pros do not bang balls but amateurs will when they don’t have an easy safety and are faced
with no shot so they bang away and separate the balls secretly wishing something drops. As
far as I am concerned, there should never be luck in pool but of course there can be. I think
the goal should be to minimize the opportunity for luck to decide the winner. It should always
come down to skill like in archery or target shooting. You and your opponent doing battle on
the same range at the very same time in head to head competition where the opportunity for
luck to decide a winner is pretty much eliminated. It comes down to who performs the best.
No luck, no outside factors or variables, just who performs better. That’s how pool should be.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree with Stu here. Ten Ball should be played just like 9-Ball with one additional ball. That alone makes it about 20% harder to break and run the rack (there are stats that back this up). You will rarely see the ten ball made on the break. Maybe only once in 40 or 50 racks, unlike 9-Ball where it is made fairly often.
I like the call shot and the pass-back but HATE call-safe. If the WPA rules allowed a called carom/combo to win and 10b-on-break to win the game would have much better acceptance. That call shot/call safe 10b last is absolutely boring as shit to play. No excitement for players and especially sweators(if there are any).

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
As other here have said, I think it's the "call safe" rule that eliminates 2-way shots - where if you miss your called pocket your opponent can make you shoot again.

pj
chgo

It also means the double bank is gone and the “shoot at two balls” concept is gone.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
tap tap tap, well said.

I think 10 ball played exactly like 9 ball with one extra ball is silly, lets invent more games, why not some 11 ball or 12 ball then? I prefer 10 ball being call shot but not call safety, most of us are not pros and call safety can be slow for the pros. Im OK with early combos on the 10 to speed the game up but definitely not slop. I usually avoid 9 ball tournaments because you get too many people that will just hit the shot hard and pray that something somewhere drops, thats not how pool should be played.
You call it invented as if people just went ahead and made it up on the spot. 10-ball was in the BCA Official rulebook in the 80’s.l, and there were pro tournaments with 10-ball. And people have played 11-ball and 12-ball in private sessions . That’s not new either.

Last time I played straight pool or seen it played we could make the balls in any order we chose, it is not required to shoot them in numerical order. 15 balls in rotation is called (or it was attempted to be called) American Rotation, you shoot the full rack no slop in numerical rotation. I believe it is very popular in the Philippines but I dont know for sure as I have never been.
I can’t take your post seriously if you have no idea about the history of these games. Rotation (using all 15 balls) has been around forever and was very popular at one time in the US. Who do you think introduced the game to the Philippines? American Rotation by Joe Tucker is a different game altogether.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get it the the best players got too good to play 9 ball. But, for the rest of us whether beginners or great, most folks don’t run racks of 9 ball.
So why bother with 10 ball.
Play something you have a chance to run out on at least 3 times out of 10.

6 ball? :blush:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I understand why the pros groomed this game to it's current state. If your traveling ''across the pond'' the rules will allow the players, more chances at getting to the table, controlling the match and winning.

No different than the thought process I used to drive to an event or not. If the event was races to 5 nine ball bar box, I might drive 2 hrs one way, and not do a hotel room.

If it was races to 7....then I'd drive as far as Western KS. If it was alternate break, then I'd for sure drive to Albuquerque. And if it was 8 ball I'd drive to Olathe.

If it was races to 9 in 9 ball winner break or not, then I'd drive to Olathe (600 mi. one way + a hotel room). They have Huge fields averaging 110 players.

Allot of pros look at the cost factor vs the payback % to determine if it's worth the gamble.

The game (8ball?) or 10 ball, or 9 ball or table size, or alternate break or winner break, being used for the event, are a huge consideration for a pro to either show up or not.

It's most always about the $$$ when these guys make their choices on whether to arrive or not.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best 10 ball rules for me are called shot and no giving the shot back unless the shooter pockets a ball into the wrong pocket. That prevents cheese safes like calling a ball to the side and shooting it in the corner to get an easy safe.

Unless someone is at a pro level skill playing call safe is just stupid. When an average player is kicking for example, they may make the ball or may not, now you need to stand there for 12 minutes calculating your make % on that shot before you call the ball or the safe. Same thing for an shot that is not seen as easy, now half the banks, caroms, tough cuts are not played. At a high skill level this is much less of an issue, even then I think it's a bit silly.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best 10 ball rules for me are called shot and no giving the shot back unless the shooter pockets a ball into the wrong pocket. That prevents cheese safes like calling a ball to the side and shooting it in the corner to get an easy safe.

Unless someone is at a pro level skill playing call safe is just stupid. When an average player is kicking for example, they may make the ball or may not, now you need to stand there for 12 minutes calculating your make % on that shot before you call the ball or the safe. Same thing for an shot that is not seen as easy, now half the banks, caroms, tough cuts are not played. At a high skill level this is much less of an issue, even then I think it's a bit silly.

I like call safe because it adds some pressure on your execution and decision making. But I wouldn’t play it with the kind of guy that plays that slow. I’m happy just playing with a friend of similar skill level. I don’t need to play it for leagues or a tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like call safe because it adds some pressure on your execution and decision making.

Agreed that call safe can, at times, add pressure to your offensive execution, as the price paid for a miss can increase.

On the other hand, call safe makes decision making far simpler and shot design far less complicated, as a) you can't play two different shots at once, b) you can't play defense while you are playing offense, c) you can't play two way combos and caroms on the money ball, d) you can't plan to give yourself a chance at a double bank on a missed bank shot, and e) you can't intentionally give yourself a chance to make a ball while you play safe.

With most of the shots requiring the most imagination inadvisable under call safe rules, the suggestion that call safe puts more pressure on your decision making does not stand up to scrutiny. On the contrary, the decision process is easier, as call safe enables you to ignore certain aspects of the shot planning process that would apply under normal rules. Call safe dumbs down the game.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed that call safe can, at times, add pressure to your offensive execution, as the price paid for a miss can increase.

On the other hand, call safe makes decision making far simpler and shot design far less complicated, as a) you can't play two different shots at once, b) you can't play defense while you are playing offense, c) you can't play two way combos and caroms on the money ball, d) you can't plan to give yourself a chance at a double bank on a missed bank shot, and e) you can't intentionally give yourself a chance to make a ball while you play safe.

With most of the shots requiring the most imagination inadvisable under call safe rules, the suggestion that call safe puts more pressure on your decision making does not stand up to scrutiny. On the contrary, the decision process is easier, as call safe enables you to ignore certain aspects of the shot planning process that would apply under normal rules. Call safe dumbs down the game.

That sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.

Do I bank to make the ball or bank to play safe? I can’t have it both ways. There is “pressure” in committing to only one option. Perhaps that decision has less contingencies to consider in that you don’t have to weigh the additional beneficial outcomes that can come after you’ve failed your Plan A, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to less pressure.

Keep in mind, I’m happy with 9 ball as it is. If 10 ball is to be played like 9 ball...I’d rather just play/see 9 ball. It’s not broken, it doesn’t need fixing. I don’t think 10 ball is a superior game to 9 ball. I just get more enjoyment playing 10 ball only when it is a different game to 9 ball. I like the novelty. I don’t need 10 ball to be 9 ball just like I don’t need 8 ball, 1 pocket, banks or any other game to be 9 ball. But I do get that’s a fuzzy statement given the history of how/why these games have evolved.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.

Do I bank to make the ball or bank to play safe? I can’t have it both ways. There is “pressure” in committing to only one option. Perhaps that decision has less contingencies to consider in that you don’t have to weigh the additional beneficial outcomes that can come after you’ve failed your Plan A, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to less pressure.

Keep in mind, I’m happy with 9 ball as it is. If 10 ball is to be played like 9 ball...I’d rather just play/see 9 ball. It’s not broken, it doesn’t need fixing. I don’t think 10 ball is a superior game to 9 ball. I just get more enjoyment playing 10 ball only when it is a different game to 9 ball. I like the novelty. I don’t need 10 ball to be 9 ball just like I don’t need 8 ball, 1 pocket, banks or any other game to be 9 ball. But I do get that’s a fuzzy statement given the history of how/why these games have evolved.

No doubt, you should play the game you enjoy. Also, no doubt that ten ball is a little, though not a lot tougher, than nine ball. Call shot is tolerable, though I can do without it, but call safe robs rotation pool of so many of the shots that many of us enjoy the most. Your tastes are your tastes and, for most, pool is to be played chiefly for enjoyment, so play on and enjoy.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No doubt, you should play the game you enjoy. Also, no doubt that ten ball is a little, though not a lot tougher, than nine ball. Call shot is tolerable, though I can do without it, but call safe robs rotation pool of so many of the shots that many of us enjoy the most. Your tastes are your tastes and, for most, pool is to be played chiefly for enjoyment, so play on and enjoy.

It's always entertaining in golf to see a player, shoot a ball from ???
Hung up in a tree limb, or??? the variety of positions they have never encountered. Nine ball gives the players, the game and audience a Great variety of shots/situations and ?
Like the accut-stats video of Ron Rosas hitting a ball on a GC and having it travel the distance on top on the long rail hopping over the side pocket, then end up on the table short rail and continue his run-out.
Luck is part of sports, and pool player$$$$$$$$$$$$$-gamblers-rounders, will always try to groom the situation for THEIR win/$$$$$$, not for the game, why? It's what puts food on their table.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
It's always entertaining in golf to see a player, shoot a ball from ???

This girl is using the wrong stroke on the golf course.

I think with her stroke, accuracy on the green goes up.

golfplayer.jpg

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I’m a big fan of “call safe” but only in the right game at the right time. Definitely not for league or tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Dear Lord, why? It's the single worst thing to happen to rotation pool. It dumbs down the game and somehow tends to make the games even more boring. It results in less banks attempted, less kick-ins attemted and any kind of two way shot really. It makes the game about as interesting as a timeshare presentation.

For what it's worth, I'm probably better at this kind of pool than regular 9 ball and get more wins under rules like this, but I still hate it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the majority of "players" on recreational time, I like to keep my innings in my comfort zone. It's not that there's any super-human patience involved, most just don't want to deal with it and get reckless. That said, if I were able to point and click at everything, I'd do that instead.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You call it invented as if people just went ahead and made it up on the spot. 10-ball was in the BCA Official rulebook in the 80’s.l, and there were pro tournaments with 10-ball. And people have played 11-ball and 12-ball in private sessions . That’s not new either.

I can’t take your post seriously if you have no idea about the history of these games. Rotation (using all 15 balls) has been around forever and was very popular at one time in the US. Who do you think introduced the game to the Philippines? American Rotation by Joe Tucker is a different game altogether.

All I think I know about American Rotation is that it is 15 balls played in rotation, no slop. Im assuming its played the same in the Philippines, I vdont know, I have never been there as I stated. I was merely pointing out to the poster that I quoted that straight pool is in fact not a rotation game.