10 ball?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Then I wouldn't play you...

I will never gamble in rotation games unless we play call-shot-call-safe.

Mainstream 9-ball rules brings out the worst in peoples' attitude.

Call-shot-call-safe keeps things civil.

I will play tenball, one of two ways. WPA rules, or texas express rules.

I prefer WPA, because while it eliminates a lot of the luck that texas express rules allows for, it still has the flexibility to allow for two and three way shots, which is really the only strategy there even is in rotation.

The only thing I would do differently is allow for pocketed balls on call safe shots only without the pass back option. I think that's kind of stupid.

Jaden

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will play tenball, one of two ways. WPA rules, or texas express rules.

I prefer WPA, because while it eliminates a lot of the luck that texas express rules allows for, it still has the flexibility to allow for two and three way shots, which is really the only strategy there even is in rotation.

The only thing I would do differently is allow for pocketed balls on call safe shots only without the pass back option. I think that's kind of stupid.

Jaden

Can you call a ball to be pocketed on a safe, and if you make it, it's good?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm,I'm not very smart But I would have asked my daughter to google and print all the various rules,then at the table,pass them out & ask which are we playing by !!!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Safe is plain dumb
What next? Call jump, call 2 rails, call 3 rails, call 4 rails, call hang pocket, call scratch, call carom :grin-square:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an understatement. Elimination of two way shots is like switching from chess to checkers. It's "check your creativity at the door" ten ball.

Considering how many two way shots are simply misses I disagree. Try asking the players if they were playing a two way shot or if they just missed. You might be unpleasantly surprised.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Considering how many two way shots are simply misses I disagree. Try asking the players if they were playing a two way shot or if they just missed. You might be unpleasantly surprised.

It's normally glaringly obvious when a two way shot was intentional or if the person shit safe on a miss.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never gamble in rotation games unless we play call-shot-call-safe.

Mainstream 9-ball rules brings out the worst in peoples' attitude.

Call-shot-call-safe keeps things civil.

Agreed: I only gamble rotation on call-shot/call-safe 10-ball. There's a local player who would terrorize me in 9-ball, but I beat him at this game every time. Like anything else, it's a different skill and mindset.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Safe is plain dumb
What next? Call jump, call 2 rails, call 3 rails, call 4 rails, call hang pocket, call scratch, call carom :grin-square:

I know you have a smiley face and all, but just for posterity I'd like to point out that the purpose of call-shot & call-safe is to declare your intended result, not your intended execution. I picked it up from American Rotation, and I think it's brilliant.

And don't misunderstand me: there's nothing wrong with Texas Express rules for 9-ball (except 9 on the break, but that's a different matter altogether). 10-ball is not just supposed to be 9-ball with an extra ball, it's supposed to be a different game, so I'm all for it having distinguishing rules.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

A miss is a miss, they happen. A two way is an acquired subtlety that one must spend years working on to make a part of his arsenal. That shouldn't be taken away because someone's frustrated that they've been left in jail, intentionally.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the value of the "two way" shot, and use them when needed, but they are way over rated.

It seems that a large % of so called "two way" shots are lucky safeties.

Yeah I know... two way shots are an art form. I just think that if your success rate is impacted in any meaningful way by these type of shots, them perhaps you need more work on your position or pattern play.

The chances that your opponent shanks a shot, and shits a safety, are much higher than they played a "two way" shot on you. Come on, commit to one or the other! I promise your game will improve.

I understand and enjoy some of the luck factor in pool, but relying on it as part game plan will not help you improve.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect the two way shot to a point. However, many times when you get hooked your opponent didn't even have position on the next shot. So it was basically a crap shot and crap position on the next shot. I just thought thats what separated 9 ball and 10 ball. Making 10 ball a much better game.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's funny is if you cant tell the intentional 2 way from the accidental one... that's hyseterical.

I've always thought it funny, right from the beginning, the guy misses and his opponent has no shot and some one else, not playing, says: "Great 2-way shot!". I'm glad you think it's funny too! It's one the many reasons I gave up 9 ball.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually it's pathetic if you can't tell

Really?? I haven't played competitive 9 ball in about 10 years so I guess it's beyond my comprehension. I still find it funny that what used to be called a miss is now called a 2 way shot.:D

shoxy

Registered
Ten ball should be like this, in my honest opinion.

1. Call shot.
2. Fluke a ball and get safe, opponent has option.
3. Miss a shot and accidentally gets safe, opponent has no option.
4. Caroms and combos need to be called properly. Ex: Caroming a "10 ball" into the corner pocket while the "2 ball" is still makeable, call only 1 ball. Whether it is the two you're playing or the ten.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Really?? I haven't played competitive 9 ball in about 10 years so I guess it's beyond my comprehension. I still find it funny that what used to be called a miss is now called a 2 way shot.:D

Youre still not getting it. There are intentional shots that if missed will leave safe but if made will give you a shot on youre next ball. Those are 2 way shots and are some of the most creative and difficult shots to pull off... The shots that shit safe after a miss on accident are not.

The fact that you cant comprehend this makes me think your competitive 9 ball 9ball days really werent that competitive.