1000 Ball Run

tomatoshooter

Had Mosconi played on Diamond pockets, he'd barely be able to run 100 balls. Keep in mind he broke the record on an 8 ft table with 5 inch pockets
Which Diamond pockets? The ones slightly bigger than 4"? Maybe. Maybe not. 4.5" with fresh Simonis cloth? I doubt that would slow him down much.

kanzzo

hobby player
Any player who can run 150 balls in theory can run 1000.
it's like saying "anyone who can get 40 years old can get 5 million years old"
(that's in ball ballpark of probability for normal mortals to run 150 in a year und needing 5 million years to run 1000)

(more accurate is probably: a player who can run 40 has a realistic chance to run 80 once if practicing a ton.
someone regularly running 150 has a good chance of running 300+ once (ballpark of life high runs of Mizerak and Sigel).

And someone regularly running 400 may get lucky once and run 700

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Agreed, but to be fair, the race to 200 was almost non-existent in competition except in the final match of the world championships. Charlie Williams' 14.1 events had races to 200 and even 300.
They also had some longer matches where the day’s play was to 250 and balls were marked so the play continued….
……no 200 runs occurred.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel has been quoted as saying "had Mosconi played on Simonis felt, he would have run 2,000." There isn't a doubt in my mind that 1,000 can be done, especially given the easy equipment that is used these days for high run attempts. Filler would seem the most likely to do it.
It wouldn't be hard to imagine Shaw doing it either.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A thousand ball run is within the realm of probability now, partially because of the conditions now accepted for making a high run. There is also the matter of high runs always ending in failure. It would be supercool in my mind if someone broke the record or ran a thousand balls and broke their cue down. "unfinished" is perfect, ending at a miss is a failure.

Hu

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The financial incentive was there and both records were broken. Schmidt had it from Predator and made 626. Shaw had it from B.C. and made 714.

Me personally, if 1BB dollars were offered, and all the pros played non-stop straight pool for one year, I don't see 1000 happening.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The financial incentive was there and both records were broken. Schmidt had it from Predator and made 626. Shaw had it from B.C. and made 714.

Me personally, if 1BB dollars were offered, and all the pros played non-stop straight pool for one year, I don't see 1000 happening.
Personally, I don`t believe Schmidt ran 626. All we have is his word, which is selling at a discount these days.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
What’s the point? Even if someone did accomplish this there would be a chorus of people saying it’s fake or that he cheated somehow
Well if the video was easily accessible, that more then likely wouldnt happen (provided there was no funny business).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if the video was easily accessible, that more then likely wouldnt happen (provided there was no funny business).

there would be another chorus of people saying mosconi didn't get that many tries, and he did it in a match, and he had an audience, and balls weren't as clean, and he wore a suit, and the economy was better, the women were prettier, gas prices lower and i didn't have arthritis

DaWizard

The conditions (table size, pocket size, foul rules, video quality, anything else?) need to be clear first so that any record is undisputable.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The conditions (table size, pocket size, foul rules, video quality, anything else?) need to be clear first so that any record is undisputable.
Indeed. We need pocket templates like snooker had. Sullivan tried to get the BCA to set a standard….4.5 and where the slate fall should be…
…..But they weren’t interested.
Seems like snooker has lowered their standards…the latest snooker tournament in China, balls were dropping like they were 6x12 Gold Crowns.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Mike Sigel has been quoted as saying "had Mosconi played on Simonis felt, he would have run 2,000." There isn't a doubt in my mind that 1,000 can be done, especially given the easy equipment that is used these days for high run attempts. Filler would seem the most likely to do it.
Idk Jay... Might be some guy we've never heard of thats a monster in and if itself for love of the game. Comes out of his basement long enuf to do this and goes back to relative obscurity. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
We are out there.😉

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1711993646581.png

Here is a spreadsheet I made years ago to see if I could run 50. I reworked it for Shaw. If Shaw's average run every single time for life that he stepped to the table was 100 balls, his ball pocketing probability would be .99009901. To run 1000 balls, it would take 20,000 attempts. I don't think Mosconi would average 100 per inning.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a spreadsheet I made years ago to see if I could run 50. I reworked it for Shaw. If Shaw's average run every single time for life that he stepped to the table was 100 balls, his ball pocketing probability would be .99009901. To run 1000 balls, it would take 20,000 attempts. I don't think Mosconi would average 100 per inning.
Are you living on the moon? Don't you know that on AZB math is the work of the devil?

Justaneng

Registered
View attachment 751592

That said, the odds are "only" 20x worse than his known accomplishment of 700 balls, accomplished in less than 1 week. Of course, that may have been the 1 in 1000 shot.

If the Fargo 800 club are all of similar potting skill, each of the 50 Fargo 800+ players making 3 attempts per day would be 54,750 attempts per year. Since the average day in this scenario would only be a few hundred total balls pocketed that day, that would be more than feasible for a pro player.

I think the scenario you proposed above ($1 Billion on the line and all the pros go all out chasing it), you would see the 1000 ball run within 1 year.

L.S. Dennis

Whenever these high run discussions come up inevitably Babe Cranfield's purported 768 and unverified run comes up for discussion. Karl 'cue ball kelly' Zingale is one of the old historians who said that it happened. We'll never really know but one thing that I do know is the Babe was a man of the highest integrity and not likely one to spread false information. Again we'll never really know but I think there's a good chance that it did happen. We'll need someone to run a clean 770 ball run to finally put this one to rest.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever these high run discussions come up inevitably Babe Cranfield's purported 768 and unverified run comes up for discussion. Karl 'cue ball kelly' Zingale is one of the old historians who said that it happened. We'll never really know but one thing that I do know is the Babe was a man of the highest integrity and not likely one to spread false information. Again we'll never really know but I think there's a good chance that it did happen. We'll need someone to run a clean 770 ball run to finally put this one to rest.
Seriously?*

What was the humidity on that day and was babe wearing boxers or tighty-whities?

*Additional required details will be disclosed after the new record is claimed.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any play who can run 150 balls in theory can run 1000. The real challenge is keeping your focus for that long. The high run record is more an indicator of endurance/luck than it is skill.
I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Except I think 150 balls is low. I'm not sure where to draw the line exactly but I would guess it would be around 300ish. If you have the skills to run 300+ several times, it's just a matter of putting in the time and having the right amount of concentration to break the current record.

For example, if we went through Jayson Shaw's high run and picked the 5 most difficult racks, I would bet any 750+ fargo is a heavy favorite to run all 5 racks. So it's not as much a matter of skill as it is a matter of concentration, luck, handling pressure, endurance, etc.

It's kind of like if you took a 650 fargo player and asked them how many 5 FT stop shots they could make it in a row. Any of them can make 50 in a row without much effort. But they would need a crazy amount of concentration to make 300+ in a row. But the 300+ run doesn't really involve any extra shot making skill.